+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Federal Reliability Status Security Screening

mike06

Jun 5, 2017
Hi,
Have any new comers had to get their reliability status screening done for a job? If so how long did the process take? Did you need to submit a police check from your previous country or did they take care of all the checks? I've had a job offer that told me 2 months and another that told me a year to get it done. I'm prepared to wait 2 months to start but not a year. Any information would be great!
Cheers,
Mike
(also posted in another forum to increase the chances of a reply)

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Hi,
Have any new comers had to get their reliability status screening done for a job? If so how long did the process take? Did you need to submit a police check from your previous country or did they take care of all the checks? I've had a job offer that told me 2 months and another that told me a year to get it done. I'm prepared to wait 2 months to start but not a year. Any information would be great!
Cheers,
Mike
I have not done it (for Canada), but I know something about screening. I think that's likely to be weeks, not months. It's fairly close to the bottom of the screening levels.

Take a look at this for perspective.

https://www.tbs-sct.gc.ca/pol/doc-eng.aspx?id=28115&section=html#appB

Last edited:

mike06

Jun 5, 2017
Thanks for the response. I had a read through, my only concern is the out-of-country section which I heard from the employer saying one year is the reason for the massive delay.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Thanks for the response. I had a read through, my only concern is the out-of-country section which I heard from the employer saying one year is the reason for the massive delay.
It might be a "challenge" under some circumstances but realistically it's unlikely to be a significant issue at such a low clearance level, unless you are from a very high risk part of the world with no functioning government. If that's the case, you are unlikely to be cleared anyway, at least until you have more years of Canadian residency.

Bip31

May 19, 2018
Hi,
Cheers,
Mike
Hi! My husband works for the federal government. It depends on the type of clearance your job needs ( reliability, secret and top secret). If it is reliability clearance ( the basic one) they will ask your last address from the past 5 years and if you lived outside of Canada between that then it will take longer to get depends on the cooperation of the country you lived. Every department in the government has their own security process as well so bear that in mind. RCMP and DND do their own check and they are very very strict and thorough so if you are applying for them, be ready to wait for a long long time even for an enhanced reliability check. Let me know if you have more question :) Good luck!

Reactions: twrooney

mike06

Jun 5, 2017
I believe it is just the reliability check and it is not for RCMP or Defense. I'm from Australia with no criminal history and received PR this year with no issues throughout application. Do you know if less then two months would be likely?
Cheers

Bip31

May 19, 2018
Reliability check takes from 2 days to 5 weeks usually if you lived in Canada for the past 5 years and no criminal records if not it will take longer ( up to a year). PR security check and job clearance is different.

casadog

Star Member
Jun 19, 2015
Hi guys

Reopening this suject. For a permanent resident lived out of Canada for few years who was not born in Canada and without any criminal records. How long it takes to get reliability status screening completed.

twrooney

Star Member
Sep 16, 2019
Hello Experts,

I have the same question as casadog.
Been in Canada for almost 4 years.
How long it will take for enhanced reliability clearance?

Thank you!

DavidK_NZ

Aug 26, 2018
Have either of you been successful in gaining reliability status?

My application went to Public Services and Procurement in October. In early November I was required to submit an Out of Country Verification, I lived in New Zealand until May 2019, and in early January I was asked for a number of clarifications. I haven’t heard any further information since then.

Dank

Aug 15, 2016
David,

What clarifications, they asked you?

I am filling in an application to get my Reliability status for federal work. There is a question in the questionnaire I have to fill, which asks about assets including financial, property etc. I am not sure what level of details are required. Do I have to give bank and account details etc.? The application itself has no mention of adding details. It just says mention assets. I would much appreciate any guidance. I am a temporary foreign worker, and was wondering how this would impact my taxes and future taxes in case I decide to take up PR.

Any guidance appreciated.

Dank

Aug 15, 2016
@Bip31 I would appreciate any guidance on Reliability Security Clearance. How much details have to be added to the questionnaire? and if supporting documents have to added as well, and its implication on future taxation. I am a temporary foreign worker.