+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Fear of owing CRA - Renouncing my PR status

skeptipus

Apr 26, 2017
Hi all,

I will be renouncing my PR status soon, after becoming a resident for tax purposes at the end of 2015. I worked some period of 2015 and 2016 and then went outside of Canada because of my undergraduate studies (a semester). At the beginning of 2017, I came back once again. I had had residential ties with Canada for all the period I was away (a bank account).

1) I applied for WITB in 2016 tax return, which was granted.
2) I just recently applied for GST/HST benefit, because I was unaware of such a service. By the time I will be getting the credit for the period I remained a resident of Canada, I would have renounced my status.

I'm worried whether there's a possibility I'll have to repay any amount of the WITB that I received and the GST/HST benefit that I will receive in the future or not. If so, I'd rather have everything paid right now and go back clean.

Thank you for your time, and I apologize if I come off as too paranoid.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Even if you are non-PR, you can be a tax resident of Canada. You could owe CRA taxes.

skeptipus

Apr 26, 2017
Yes, I understood this much that there are two definitions of a "resident": one in immigration terms and the other in tax terms.
Guess I'll wait and see! Thanks!