+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

FBI report. Retail theft at 16.

Arielrose

Jan 6, 2014
Hello. I am a 25 year old from the United States. I married my Canadian husband last summer and now we are applying for PR for me. I just got my FBI report back and a retail theft arrest is on there from when I was 16 years old. It was a 25 dollar pair of pants, and although thats not the point i have no arrests since and i was 16! Don't teenagers do stupid stuff. Am i now not eligiable to be with my husband because of something i did when i was under the age of 18. They say to get paperwork processed to deem me rehabilitated can take over a year but i have my whole pr packet ready now. Please god i hope someone can shed some light on this. I am very scared.

Carlaganda23

Jan 8, 2014
Halifax Nova Scotia
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-02-2014
AOR Received.
20-06-2014
Med's Done....
12-05-2015
LANDED..........
SA, AIP and DM May 21th, 2015 Landed: June 12, 2015
Arielrose said:
Hello. I am a 25 year old from the United States. I married my Canadian husband last summer and now we are applying for PR for me. I just got my FBI report back and a retail theft arrest is on there from when I was 16 years old. It was a 25 dollar pair of pants, and although thats not the point i have no arrests since and i was 16! Don't teenagers do stupid stuff. Am i now not eligiable to be with my husband because of something i did when i was under the age of 18. They say to get paperwork processed to deem me rehabilitated can take over a year but i have my whole pr packet ready now. Please god i hope someone can shed some light on this. I am very scared.
As far as I know since you were 16 at that time it shouldn't appear in the system anymore cause you were minor when the incident happened. All the charge when you were minor should be sealed. You have to call the FBI to clarify and see what u can do...Sorry to hear about your situation.

Arielrose

Jan 6, 2014
I contacted the FBI and they where unsure of why it was showing up if I was i minor. They had me call my state police and I have to start the process of getting it expunged or sealed. No one is able to tell me why that didnt already happen when i turned 18. Will the CIC really deny my PR app for a minor offenense that happened when i was a minor. I dont know if i should submit my packet and see if they reject me or take all the time to get my record resealed and then resubmit my FBI request (waiting another 6 weeks for it to come back, not to mention howver long it will take to get my record seal. Does anyone have any numbers that would allow my to call the cic or ottawa ccp directly. They say they will only take inquires about submitted apps but mine is ready to go i just dont want to waste time if i dont have to. Thanks.

Carlaganda23

Jan 8, 2014
Halifax Nova Scotia
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-02-2014
AOR Received.
20-06-2014
Med's Done....
12-05-2015
LANDED..........
SA, AIP and DM May 21th, 2015 Landed: June 12, 2015
Arielrose said:
I contacted the FBI and they where unsure of why it was showing up if I was i minor. They had me call my state police and I have to start the process of getting it expunged or sealed. No one is able to tell me why that didnt already happen when i turned 18. Will the CIC really deny my PR app for a minor offenense that happened when i was a minor. I dont know if i should submit my packet and see if they reject me or take all the time to get my record resealed and then resubmit my FBI request (waiting another 6 weeks for it to come back, not to mention howver long it will take to get my record seal. Does anyone have any numbers that would allow my to call the cic or ottawa ccp directly. They say they will only take inquires about submitted apps but mine is ready to go i just dont want to waste time if i dont have to. Thanks.
Yes...There's a possibility to delay your PR application...Better to safe than sorry. I think the thing that you have to do now is to call the FBI..have it sealed and tell them that you were minor when it happened. It's their mistake on their part. You can have it redone. Or send your application now if you do it Inland (Inside Canada) and send the Police Certificate later...If Outland you have to submit everything like Medical and Police Certificate and you don't have any choice but you have to wait till you are cleared with your previous charge when you were minor...Goodluck and stay positive!

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I agree that this should not be an issue as it was not a violent crime and was before you reached the age of majority (still a minor).

A person can be `deemed' rehabilitated if 10 years have passed since the event, so...you're almost there.

Seriously, how can they hold this against you now...applying for PR as a `mature adult'? ;)

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Carlaganda23 said:
Yes...There's a possibility to delay your PR application...Better to safe than sorry. I think the thing that you have to do now is to call the FBI..have it sealed and tell them that you were minor when it happened. It's their mistake on their part. You can have it redone. Or send your application now if you do it Inland (Inside Canada) and send the Police Certificate later...If Outland you have to submit everything like Medical and Police Certificate and you don't have any choice but you have to wait till you are cleared with your previous charge when you were minor...Goodluck and stay positive!
This is excellent advice. If applying Inland, send the FBI PCC later (you'll likely have 8 months before CIC really needs this).

Arielrose

Jan 6, 2014
Inland isnt a option as my fathers health isnt that great. From what I understand about inland, if he took a turn for the worse and i had to return home I would forfeit my application

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Arielrose said:
Inland isnt a option as my fathers health isnt that great. From what I understand about inland, if he took a turn for the worse and i had to return home I would forfeit my application
Not automatically.

The type of visa that you need (if any) to enter Canada, plays a role in the `gamble' for an Inland applicant to leave. Your application is only forfeited if you are denied re-entry, but based on your father's health...I can see why an Outland application works better for you. Besides, it's often much faster than an Inland application, depending on your country of origin.

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
The real question is what does your particular 'crime' translate out to in Canada. Is it a jailable offense or an offense that would cause you to be denied entry. If it is not then I wouldn't worry too much about it. The big ones seem to be abuse and dui. If you had either of those then I would be worried, but not sure the one you speak of equates out to anything major.