+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

FBI clearance or Royal Canadian Mountain Police clearance

olumideyemo

Nov 8, 2012
I submitted my application for a Study Permit for Jan 2013.

My program didn't start giving admission for their program until October (portfolio reviews) for those coming in the January. School starts January 7th. I got my acceptance and was at the Visa office 2 weeks later. I had all my documents. All the documents on the list except police clearance as I have been to Canada a couple of times and still currently have valid visas. My name is on file: they actually have all of my documents already and my fingerprints pretty sure.

I studied in the US for 5 years though which makes me eligible for the fingerprinting process.

So I've submitted my documents and now they ask me for FBI clearance but refer me to the RCMP website. I wonder which they want. I've asked for clarification but am going to do both anyways.

My question is: as its not entirely fault what are my possibilities? I have offered other alternatives to indicate that I have no criminal background: I-20s and recently acquired visas too.

FBI clearance is at least 13 weeks: wait time for application to be process 4 weeks, 3 weeks mailing time (no UPS or DHL. FBI is all old school) and 6 weeks processing time.
RCMP clearance is 9 weeks for Ink fingerprinting which is the only option international students have.

My application is in Accra, Ghana. Does anyone know a place to do the ink fingerprinting? Or a place to do electronic fingerprinting?

Are there any other options that I might have to get ink fingerprinting in Accra? Or is there a trusted RCMP clearance like (Commissionaires)?

(I ask because I finished all my medicals today in the stretch of 3-4 hours. Accra seems pretty integrated and well connected and if you go prepared you get prompt service)

I hope someone can help and is can provide some support.

NB: Just as a side note does anyone find it unbelievable that we live in such a technologically innovative world but it takes weeks to get your fingerprint and declare you are not a criminal? Or that no Canadian Consulates outside Canada have electronic fingerprinting (common)? All the US consulates do and they are all linked by satellite.

I also think it ridiculous that because you have spent more than 6 months in a country of trusted security that it would be more difficult to get a visa or to be trusted. Shouldn't it be easier if you have an international record and have a degree from an accredited University already shouldn't that be trustworthy enough? Its way too interesting to me. :eek:

If there are any parts that need clarification please tell me. I apologize as this got way too long. Thank you all for your help. Hope someone sees this tonight.

Thanks all!! :)

loolo

Nov 24, 2010
N/A
Category........
Visa Office......
ACCRA
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27 Sept 2011
AOR Received.
21 Dec 2011
IELTS Request
sent with application
File Transfer...
soon
Med's Request
31th Jan 2014
Med's Done....
15th Feb 2014
Interview........
waived
LANDED..........
Dec 2014
Any particular reason you applied in Accra instead of Lagos?

Since the clearances are required there is really no short cut to it you must get. Quite unfortunately these people are suppose to be using cutting edge technology but there has been a huge improvement from the norm.

All the best in your application.

Loolo

olumideyemo

Nov 8, 2012
loolo said:
Any particular reason you applied in Accra instead of Lagos?

Since the clearances are required there is really no short cut to it you must get. Quite unfortunately these people are suppose to be using cutting edge technology but there has been a huge improvement from the norm.

All the best in your application.

Loolo
I'm using Accra because of the time it takes to get a visa. In Lagos/Abuja an application takes 14 weeks according to the CIC website.

Is there something about Lagos that I don't know. Do people get interviewed by Immigration officers? Do they not ask for FBI Clearance at all? Do they have a fingerprinting system of their own? Please share your experience.

While I wish the school would have sent out admission letters earlier. I have to wait to go to school now. I sent in my application for the FBI it got there already. I just need them to process my application faster (than everyone else's).

Thanks for the reply

loolo

Nov 24, 2010
N/A
Category........
Visa Office......
ACCRA
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27 Sept 2011
AOR Received.
21 Dec 2011
IELTS Request
sent with application
File Transfer...
soon
Med's Request
31th Jan 2014
Med's Done....
15th Feb 2014
Interview........
waived
LANDED..........
Dec 2014
My opinion is that CHC Lagos's requirements will be easier for you to meet and if you can establish strong ties to Nigeria getting your student visa won't be that hard.
Is the course you are going for design related?

Loolo