+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

FBI Clearance from India

syedhuqa

Nov 15, 2020
Hi there,

I recently got an ITA on November 25th and was in the process of obtaining all the necessary documents. I'm currently in India and have lived in the US for close to 10-years. I need to apply for an FBI clearance, and was wondering what the correct and quickest way it is to apply for an FBI clearance certificate from India. Does anyone have experience with this ?

Do I also need state police clearance as well from the US for the ITA application ?

Thanks,

workingmind

Star Member
Aug 21, 2020
Since you have lived in the US for about 10 years you will need police clearance from both the US (from FBI) and India.

1. You will have to apply online on FBI website and pay the fee for FBI Identity History Summary check.
2. You will have to get someone professional to take your fingerprints on FD-258 card. Include more than one card so that if prints are not clear on one card, FBI can use the prints on the other one. If you send only one card with unclear fingerprints, FBI will reject your application.
3. You will have to physically mail the card(s) and the confirmation email that you got to the FBI in the US.
4. Wait till the your mail reaches FBI and they get to your fingerprints. All the process might take about 15 business days or more so be patient.

tan25

Jun 16, 2020
I got the FBI clearance done in November 2020. I was in the USA for around 3 years.

1. Apply online on https://www.edo.cjis.gov/ (It costs $18)
2. Download the FD-258 document
3. Print it on bond paper/ similar good quality paper. I got the colour printout, not sure if that is required.
4. Get your fingerprints from your city CID. I got it done in Pune. Get around 2-3 copies. CID charges Rs.500 per copy. They will send you the government payment link. This process requires around 7-8 hours. They are very helpful and polite. Call the office before going so that you know what all is required and their timings.
(Usually, your adhaar card, passport copy, pan card copy, 2 passport size photos, a letter to the commissioner of your city stating why you need the prints )
5. Ship it to the address:
FBI CJIS Division
ATTN: ELECTRONIC SUMMARY REQUEST
1000 Custer Hollow Road
Clarksburg, WV 26306

I used DHL and they charged around Rs.3800 and delivered it in a week. (Shipped on 20/11 and received on 27/11). I shipped it in a normal A4 envelope.
6. You will get an email saying your request has been accepted and will be processed in the order in which it was received
7. After the above email, you will immediately get another email saying your request is available for review.
I received the email on 1/12. Log in and download your clearance.

The entire process takes around a week. If you get the documents to them faster, it will be quicker. I could not find a faster delivery service.

Check the website
https://in.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/a-z-index/fingerprinting-and-criminal-background-checks/
for other offices in India providing fingerprinting services.

Do I also need state police clearance as well from the US for the ITA application? Yes. Apply on the Passport Office website. They took over a month to process my application.

syedhuqa

Nov 15, 2020
I got the FBI clearance done in November 2020. I was in the USA for around 3 years.

3. Print it on bond paper/ similar good quality paper. I got the colour printout, not sure if that is required.
4. Get your fingerprints from your city CID. I got it done in Pune. Get around 2-3 copies. CID charges Rs.500 per copy. They will send you the government payment link. This process requires around 7-8 hours. They are very helpful and polite. Call the office before going so that you know what all is required and their timings.
(Usually, your adhaar card, passport copy, pan card copy, 2 passport size photos, a letter to the commissioner of your city stating why you need the prints )
FBI CJIS Division
1000 Custer Hollow Road
Clarksburg, WV 26306

I used DHL and they charged around Rs.3800 and delivered it in a week. (Shipped on 20/11 and received on 27/11). I shipped it in a normal A4 envelope.
6. You will get an email saying your request has been accepted and will be processed in the order in which it was received
7. After the above email, you will immediately get another email saying your request is available for review.

The entire process takes around a week. If you get the documents to them faster, it will be quicker. I could not find a faster delivery service.

Check the website
https://in.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/a-z-index/fingerprinting-and-criminal-background-checks/

Do I also need state police clearance as well from the US for the ITA application? Yes. Apply on the Passport Office website. They took over a month to process my application.
Thank you! That was very helpful!

Reactions: tan25

kk417

Jun 27, 2016

FBI CJIS Division
1000 Custer Hollow Road
Clarksburg, WV 26306

Check the website

Thank you so much for posting this. I followed the steps you mentioned in Pune CID and then I sent package to FBI. I received FBI report electronically and they took only 1 day to from the date of the package received. :)

Reactions: tan25

tan25

Jun 16, 2020
Thank you so much for posting this. I followed the steps you mentioned in Pune CID and then I sent package to FBI. I received FBI report electronically and they took only 1 day to from the date of the package received. :)
Happy to help:)

yhardikar

Aug 11, 2021

FBI CJIS Division
1000 Custer Hollow Road
Clarksburg, WV 26306

Check the website

Great detail information! Thanks a lot! Quick question: How did you contact Pune CID? Did you get an appointment quickly?

tan25

Jun 16, 2020
Great detail information! Thanks a lot! Quick question: How did you contact Pune CID? Did you get an appointment quickly?
You can call them on the number mentioned on Google. They will give you the number of the person to contact.
Yes, I got the appointment for the very next day.

rashi1101

Dec 4, 2019

FBI CJIS Division
1000 Custer Hollow Road
Clarksburg, WV 26306

Check the website

Thanks for the details

I have a question do you pay return fees to courier or just 1 way?

console.warn

Nov 30, 2021
Apologies to post on an old thread but can't find any information. Looking for guidance. Got an email to send an original FBI clearance certificate for my mother. The email is from Delhi Commission but it did not mention the mailing address to which I need to send the FBI clearance certificate. Can anyone who has gone through this provide some pointers? Should I send it to the Delhi embassy address on google?

rashi1101

Dec 4, 2019
Apologies to post on an old thread but can't find any information. Looking for guidance. Got an email to send an original FBI clearance certificate for my mother. The email is from Delhi Commission but it did not mention the mailing address to which I need to send the FBI clearance certificate. Can anyone who has gone through this provide some pointers? Should I send it to the Delhi embassy address on google?

after you receive the FBI clearance you can just upload through webform with the request letter sent by IRCC.

console.warn

Nov 30, 2021
after you receive the FBI clearance you can just upload through webform with the request letter sent by IRCC.
Thanks for the response. Their email asked to mail in the original FBI certificate. I haven’t found any information about where to mail so I’m thinking of uploading as well as sending the physical copy to the Delhi embassy.

fmohammed1022

Feb 11, 2018
Toronto, ON
Category........
Other

FBI CJIS Division
1000 Custer Hollow Road
Clarksburg, WV 26306

Check the website

Hi,

Quick question. I'm currently filling out the form on the FBI CJIS webpage. I just flew back from the US and residing in India now. What do I enter my current address/residence as? The one in India or the one I lived at when I was in the US? Please advise. Also, is it mandatory to get the fingerprints from the CID or can we get it done from a notary?

rashi1101

Dec 4, 2019
Hi,

Quick question. I'm currently filling out the form on the FBI CJIS webpage. I just flew back from the US and residing in India now. What do I enter my current address/residence as? The one in India or the one I lived at when I was in the US? Please advise. Also, is it mandatory to get the fingerprints from the CID or can we get it done from a notary?
they ask the address coz they send you the document by post. my husband had gone to a notary here in canada

rashi1101

Dec 4, 2019
Thanks for the response. Their email asked to mail in the original FBI certificate. I haven’t found any information about where to mail so I’m thinking of uploading as well as sending the physical copy to the Delhi embassy.
did u send the original finally?