+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Father's name different in my passport and his passport. Which one to use in PR?

nd265

Jul 16, 2023
My father's name is Ravinder Singh in my passport and Ravinder Singh Sharma in his passport and all other documents as well. There is a section of entering family members' information in the PR application, Should i enter his name as on my passport or his passport? And should I also explain this in the LOE for PR?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
My father's name is Ravinder Singh in my passport and Ravinder Singh Sharma in his passport and all other documents as well. There is a section of entering family members' information in the PR application, Should i enter his name as on my passport or his passport? And should I also explain this in the LOE for PR?
You should go by what his proper legal name is, which - I would hope - would be the one in his passport.

IRCC doesn't usually pay much attention to names of family members in passport (Canadian passports don't have this info) but I'd still include a short letter of explanation in your application about the discrepancy. Eg "his full legal name is R S S but is often shortened for use as R S, which form is in my passport."