+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Fastest way to submit spousal application to have spouse living and working in Canada

alexandracasr

Feb 26, 2024
Hi all,

I would very much appreciate your help with advise to have my husband living and working with me as soon as possible in Canada.

I am a Permanent Resident since Sept 2023 and I recently married my boyfriend. We decided to move to Canada as I am a Permanent Resident. I will enter Canada next month and will be residing with my sister and her husband until I get a job... What is the fastest way to have my husband move to Canada and able to work legally in Canada?

He is Dominican, living in the Dominican Republic, but also has a Spanish Passport. He already has an eTA.
Should we apply outland without requesting the OWP, then wait for AoR, then have him enter Canada using his eTA, and then apply for an open work permit?
We are estimating we will receive the AoR in less than a month, and apply for a SOWP immediately, which we expect to receive in another month's time.

Or should we apply outland and request OWP in one go? If we do it this way, will he receive an OWP faster?

We are not considering inland processing because we have heard it takes longer, plus, if we process outland he can continue working legally in the Dominican Republic while the spousal application is being processed.

Thank you very much for your advise people! If you would like to know more details, let me know!

Kananaskis

Star Member
Oct 4, 2023
1- Inland takes less time than outland. I don't know where you heard the opposite, but you can check processing times in the IRCC website and it will tell you.
2- I'm a bit confused about your intent. If you want him to come to Canada, why does it matter if he stays in the Dominican and work there, if you have a possibility of having him in Canada and working in Canada?
3- With an eTA, he can join you and then you guys could apply for inland, and once he has the AOR he could apply for an OWP. That would be the fastest way and the best way in my opinion. Now, if you want to first get your things together (work and etc) and save up some money (see side note) so then he can join you, you can apply outland and then once you are set, he could travel to you. The importance of waiting for the AOR is for the work permit and not for the travel itself.
AOR in a month is only inland, outland is 2 months on average.

**Side note, the WP takes anywhere between 2 to 5 months, just something for you to account in your plans. He needs to be living with you in order to apply for that.