+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Fastest way to reach India after obtaining canadian passport

rajcalgary2019

Star Member
Mar 2, 2019
Hi,
I will be getting my canadian passport next week and need to reach India by April 30th. I need your suggestions on the following;

1. Can i surrender indian passport and apply for entry visa at same time ( 7days processing) ?
But issue with this is BLS oeprates only on appointment now and latest appointment date is in May,2022.

2. Can i travel to India with Indian passport and return with Canadian passport. (I think officer looking at stamp entry/exit is an issue. )

3. Any chance of India opening evisa visa for canadian passport holders this month?

4, What other options do i have?

akbardxb

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2013
Mississauga
LANDED..........
28-03-2014
Hi,
I will be getting my canadian passport next week and need to reach India by April 30th. I need your suggestions on the following;

1. Can i surrender indian passport and apply for entry visa at same time ( 7days processing) ?
But issue with this is BLS oeprates only on appointment now and latest appointment date is in May,2022.

2. Can i travel to India with Indian passport and return with Canadian passport. (I think officer looking at stamp entry/exit is an issue. )

3. Any chance of India opening evisa visa for canadian passport holders this month?

In theory :

1. Exit Canada and arrive in India on your Indian passport.
2. Cancel you Indian passport in India and apply for a resident / exit permit.
3. Return to Canada on your Canadian passport

Or

Show an emergency and get urgent visa from the Indian consulate / High Commission.

I haven’t tried any of these as I’m in the process of applying for a Canadian passport, but I know a US citizen who surrendered their passport in India.

delray55

Apr 4, 2022
Hi,

Surrender certificate does not need appointment. when you go there (bls office) you can ask if they can process your visa application as well (walk in). Make sure to have the application complete in all aspects. have a laptop and originals so that you can make correctons if any.all this assuming you dont mind spending extra $$. they mostly accommodate as visa is recurring revenue stream for them

rajcalgary2019

Star Member
Mar 2, 2019
If you cancel your Indian passport in India, you will need an exit permit from MEA (to exit India) or an Indian visit visa (stamped on your Canadian passport) to come back to Canada.
@akbardxb are you 100% i can 1. travel on indian passport 2. surrender indian passport 3. apply for exit permit 4. return to canada with canadian passport?

rajcalgary2019

Star Member
Mar 2, 2019
If you cancel your Indian passport in India, you will need an exit permit from MEA (to exit India) or an Indian visit visa (stamped on your Canadian passport) to come back to Canada.
I read somewhere in the forum that i also need entry visa from india and then apply for exit permit, is that true?

akbardxb

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2013
Mississauga
LANDED..........
28-03-2014
@akbardxb are you 100% i can 1. travel on indian passport 2. surrender indian passport 3. apply for exit permit 4. return to canada with canadian passport?
Refer to my original post. As I said I haven't done it but know someone who surrendered their Indian passport in India. They did this at the FRRO in Delhi.

If you arrive, in India, without declaring that you have acquired Canadian citizenship, as an Indian citizen, they have no option but to allow you entry into India. Could be with a bit of hassle and the babu at the immigration counter could make life difficult, but has to ultimately let you in. These guys can be a bit anal at times. Once this old guy asked me for a copy of my 'approved leave application' from my employers when I was visiting India.

Not sure what 'entry visa from India' that you refer to in your last post.

Your desperation to visit India should determine the route you choose. If you are not getting an appointment, try the emergency option with the high commission / consulate.

rajcalgary2019

Star Member
Mar 2, 2019
@
akbardxb
-Not sure what 'entry visa from India' that you refer to in your last post.
My response: Once i surrender my passport in India, i need a visa to stay in india which is entry visa and then apply for exit permit. is that correct?

Reactions: delray55

rajcalgary2019

Star Member
Mar 2, 2019
In theory :

1. Exit Canada and arrive in India on your Indian passport.
2. Cancel you Indian passport in India and apply for a entry visa (because we have surrendered passport and no indian anymore so we cannot stay so then apply for exit permit afetr receiving "entry visa"
3. Return to Canada on your Canadian passport

rajcalgary2019

Star Member
Mar 2, 2019
I will be travelling to India on an Indian passport and will have to surrender my passport because I recently acquired Canadian citizenship. Do i need "entry visa" from india or i can just apply for "exit permit" and return back to Canada on canadian passport?

akbardxb

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2013
Mississauga
LANDED..........
28-03-2014
I will be travelling to India on an Indian passport and will have to surrender my passport because I recently acquired Canadian citizenship. Do i need "entry visa" from india or i can just apply for "exit permit" and return back to Canada on canadian passport?
What's the purpose of half a dozen posts with the same question? The response is not going to be any different.
There is a registration office for foreigners in India. They are responsible for extending / approving the stay of foreigners who are already in India. They don't issue 'entry visa' because the said foreigner is already in India. So what you would need is a stay permit and then an exit permit to leave India because you would be using a Canadian passport which will not have an arrival stamp. For a departing foreigner, the immigration officer will look for an arrival stamp your Canadian passport at the immigration counter when exiting India.

Perhaps you would be better off writing to the Ministry of External Affairs if you want more detailed clarifications because no one on this forum has probably been through this.

• Haha
Reactions: fièrementcanadien