+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Fastest way to prove residency in Ontario?

acerbico423

Star Member
Jan 21, 2018
Hi all,

My mom will be landing in Toronto as a PR soon and we wanted to apply for her health card as soon as we could.
For Ontario health card, she would need to show an Ontario address proof. Since she does not have a job and she will be staying with me, she wont have an address proof immediately upon landing.
We can open a bank account for her or apply for Ontario photo ID but that would take some time to come.
Is there a way we could prove she lives in Ontario on day 2 or day 3 after she lands?
If it is not possible, i will be buying a good travel insurance for her before she lands.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
See here:
https://www.ontario.ca/page/documents-needed-get-health-card

Fastest is to have some kind of lease eg if can be added to your lease. If you wish to 'lease' to her, I believe it's possible, but others will shriek about potential tax or other implications. After that: insurance contract of some kind - you'll have to figure that out for yourself.

Ontario Photo Card will basically not help as effectively same requirements to show residence.

mbaleine

Mar 13, 2019
I just used my tenant insurance summary page. I had the lease but didn't feel like printing out 10+ pages. In your case, you know that you can get a tenant insurance instantly online even without a lease, right? Just get the cheapest insurance. Is this kosher? Probably not, but you asked and hence I answered ;)

acerbico423

Star Member
Jan 21, 2018
I just used my tenant insurance summary page. I had the lease but didn't feel like printing out 10+ pages. In your case, you know that you can get a tenant insurance instantly online even without a lease, right? Just get the cheapest insurance. Is this kosher? Probably not, but you asked and hence I answered ;)
thats nice. can i buy tenant insurance for a month or does it have to be for an entire year?

canvis2006

Champion Member
Dec 27, 2009
Toronto
Visa Office......
Paris, France
NOC Code......
FC4 - PGP
App. Filed.......
May 2009
Doc's Request.
March 2012
File Transfer...
Jan. 2013
Med's Request
May 2013
Passport Req..
July 2013
VISA ISSUED...
August 2013
LANDED..........
Sept 2013
In our family case, the ontario photo card was accepted for ohip ‘proof of address requirement’
Apply for it , its also a good local ID for banking, etc, these days accepted everywhere in ontario.
usually comes within 1-2 weeks of applying so not an issue and its a good ID to have.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
In our family case, the ontario photo card was accepted for ohip ‘proof of address requirement’
Apply for it , its also a good local ID for banking, etc, these days accepted everywhere in ontario.
usually comes within 1-2 weeks of applying so not an issue and its a good ID to have.
But what did you need to show to get the Ontario Photo ID card?

canvis2006

Champion Member
Dec 27, 2009
Toronto
Visa Office......
Paris, France
NOC Code......
FC4 - PGP
App. Filed.......
May 2009
Doc's Request.
March 2012
File Transfer...
Jan. 2013
Med's Request
May 2013
Passport Req..
July 2013
VISA ISSUED...
August 2013
LANDED..........
Sept 2013
Nothing with an address?
That’s the main reason to get the ontario photo card (as an ID) so obviously u apply for it.
its for ppl who don’t need a driver license but need an ID card for day to day needs within ontario
(Banking, etc)

its good to have.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
That’s the main reason to get the ontario photo card (as an ID) so obviously u apply for it.
its for ppl who don’t need a driver license but need an ID card for day to day needs within ontario
(Banking, etc)

its good to have.
Couldn't they use health card?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Couldn't they use health card?
Ontario at least has some weird rules about using the health cards for routine identification purposes (some institutions are not allowed to require and so won't even accept them as ID if individual volunteers).

We had a situation where restaurant wouldn't accept health card as proof of age.

Anyway, whether or not this is factual or some weird misinterpretation, I would strongly recommend NOT relying on a health card for identification in Ontario. (Except to receive health care, of course)

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Ontario at least has some weird rules about using the health cards for routine identification purposes (some institutions are not allowed to require and so won't even accept them as ID if individual volunteers).

We had a situation where restaurant wouldn't accept health card as proof of age.

Anyway, whether or not this is factual or some weird misinterpretation, I would strongly recommend NOT relying on a health card for identification in Ontario. (Except to receive health care, of course)
Also had my health card refused as a form of ID when I returned clothing. Health cards are easier to obtain with false IDs so diver’s license, Ontario ID or passport is needed as proof of ID.

Reactions: armoured

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Also had my health card refused as a form of ID when I returned clothing. Health cards are easier to obtain with false IDs so diver’s license, Ontario ID or passport is needed as proof of ID.
But at YYZ, we can use our health card for airline check-ins and boarding.

Edit: At the rental car counter, I was requested to show another proof of ID in additional to my driver's license, so I used my health card.

Last edited: