+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Fastest way to get residency through Common Law

lindakp

Apr 15, 2020
So I'm moving to my boyfriends apartment in B.C, Canada in August (fingers crossed that covid won't stop that) to start University there in September. We have been together since october 2019, and have been to multiple countries together, I've spent my christmas in Alberta at his family's place and we went on a family trip this February. (No idea if this is necessary information but throwing it all out there)

I am hoping to gain residency through common law as quick as possible, so that my international student fees don't destroy my bank account too devastatingly and there'd be more security alltogether.
Does anyone know what the best way to go about this is? Is marriage an option, or does it take longer?
If anyone has experience in this field it would be greatly appreciated!

jddd

Champion Member
Oct 1, 2017
you can get married, it will take about a year for you to get PR after your complete application is received

if you choose common law, you can apply AFTER 1 year of living together and then get PR about a year AFTER your complete application is received

Reactions: lindakp

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
So I'm moving to my boyfriends apartment in B.C, Canada in August (fingers crossed that covid won't stop that) to start University there in September. We have been together since october 2019, and have been to multiple countries together, I've spent my christmas in Alberta at his family's place and we went on a family trip this February. (No idea if this is necessary information but throwing it all out there)

I am hoping to gain residency through common law as quick as possible, so that my international student fees don't destroy my bank account too devastatingly and there'd be more security alltogether.
Does anyone know what the best way to go about this is? Is marriage an option, or does it take longer?
If anyone has experience in this field it would be greatly appreciated!
Processing of the sponsorship application will take approximtely 1 year.

You can apply as common law if you have lived together continuously for at least one full year. To meet the continuous requirement, there can't be any significant gaps in cohabitation (for IRCC, this means any breaks should be less than three weeks). Note that you must have solid evidence to prove cohabitation (e.g. joint leases, joint bank accounts, joint utility bills, etc.). If you are weak on evidence, best option is to get married. Also, right now you don't meet the common law requirement, so best case scenario you'd be looking at October 2020 before you can apply and then another year of waiting for the application to be approved.

lindakp

Apr 15, 2020
Thanks so much for your responses! Marriage has been a serious discussion (we're not in our teens anymore lol), is there a lot of rules? If we were to get married in july this year, is there additional requirements? Number of guests etc.

Jets13

Dec 12, 2016
Thanks so much for your responses! Marriage has been a serious discussion (we're not in our teens anymore lol), is there a lot of rules? If we were to get married in july this year, is there additional requirements? Number of guests etc.
You would have to have proof that your marriage is genuine and not for immigration purposes (in both situations). There is no number for guests, but the marriage should typically follow other cultural norms of where you are from. Search the family sponsorship section of the forum for proof ideas.
I provided letters of support from all family and friends who attended the wedding, pictures, even our chat printouts. If any guests come from out of town you can include their boarding passes. You can include where you went on a honeymoon. If you live together you can provide all those details as well.