+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

FAQ: All you need to know about applying for PR with NOC 4012 (RA/TA) work experience.

aravindkj1988

Nov 17, 2020
Dear all,
I am Postdoc with 1 year experience currently working in Singapore. However I have fully paid (salary) 3 and half years experience as PhD research assistant in Germany. In my express entry profile, I put primary job after landing in Canada as 4012. I received ITA. Now I am confused whether I should change to 4011 (PostDoc) or stay with 4012. Please help me out. I have all the work experience letters with salary and hours mentioned, salary payslips for Research Assistant and PostDoc. Please advice guys as I am really confused.

theodoreyang

Mar 5, 2018
I don't quite understand this. How were you able to get a PR if you didn't get any CRS points for your RA/TA-ship? Let's say you have 2 years of industry work experience in one NOC outside of Canada, and 1 year of Msc/PhD RA/TA experience in Canada on a study permit. Would this count as 3 years of work experience and give you full points for work experience?
I don't think so. This situation may only count 2 years. In 2018, the cutoff was around 440-450 pts. Let's say someone have a Canadian Msc/PhD degree, age 29, IELTS CLB 9, no CRS points for working experience = 449/464 pts. He/She may use RA/TA to qualify the FSW and don't need to wait for one year 'real working experience'.
I hope my understanding is correct.

Reactions: voyager123

ElStu

Nov 9, 2017
For those who have applied, did you provide HR letter for employment? I'm planning to provide a letter form my supervisor with the details and that's it. To my understanding it should be enough.

Linalin

Star Member
Jul 11, 2020
For those who have applied, did you provide HR letter for employment? I'm planning to provide a letter form my supervisor with the details and that's it. To my understanding it should be enough.
I applied with the letter from department administrator

Ananta Jalil

Feb 8, 2021
The last thing first, I applied for Permanent Residency in Canada on 25th January 2018 with my NOC 4012 (Research Assistantship) work experience obtained in Canada while I was a Master’s student. I received my CoPR on 1st May 2018.

Permanent residency application using Research Assistant or Teaching Assistant experience is a less explored path, so, before applying or even after submitting my application, I went through a lot of threads in this forum and I saw a lot of confusions, doubts, and controversies about this particular NOC. I had so many questions so I reached out to several people in this forum as well as in Facebook to get an answer. I would like to take this opportunity to acknowledge them for their guidance and contribution. As my journey to the Canadian PR is almost complete, I would like to compile some of the questions in this thread, that I had in my mind and I was having real hard time to find the answers, so that it could help future aspirants who will take this path.

Q1. Is it possible to apply for Express Entry using NOC 4012 (Research Assistant/Teaching Assistant) work experience obtained in Canada under study permit?
A: Definitely YES!

Q2: Would it make me eligible for Canadian Experience Class?
A: Though you worked in Canada as an RA/TA, you won’t be considered as Canadian Experience Class (CEC) applicant because the work experience you gained was under study permit. Even though you worked in Canada, your work experience will be counted as a foreign work experience. But if someone worked as an RA/TA under PGWP or any other sort of work permits, they might be considered as CEC applicant.

Q3: How many CRS points will I be awarded for this NOC 4012 work experience?
A: If you worked as RA/TA outside Canada, you will be awarded regular CRS points for that experience.
If you worked as RA/TA in Canada under your work permit, you will also get regular CRS points.
But, here is the catch, if you worked as RA/TA in Canada when you were a student, you won’t be awarded any CRS points. Nevertheless, the work experience will be surely counted as “Foreign Experience”, which will make you eligible for Federal Skilled Worker (FSW) stream of Express Entry system, as minimum one year’s work experience is a must for the EE system.

Q4: What do I need to provide to prove of my RA/TA (NOC 4012) experience?
A: A job reference letter mentioning your job duration, work hour, salary, job duties (it must be coordinated with the job duties of NOC4012) etc. from your supervisor is a must. Additionally, you can provide your appointment letter, a few pay stubs, T4/T4A and a letter from HR/Payroll confirming your salary.

Q5: Do I need to provide proof of funds?
A: Yes! Proof of fund is not necessary for CEC applicants. But for Federal Skilled Worker (FSW) stream, you need to provide proof of funds.

If you have more questions, feel free to ask in the comment box. I will try to answer as much as I can.

Thank you and good luck!

Thanks for your info. Is it possible to get invited for any PNP program with NOC 4012?

Reactions: eastgwzh

Niosh

Mar 6, 2021
The last thing first, I applied for Permanent Residency in Canada on 25th January 2018 with my NOC 4012 (Research Assistantship) work experience obtained in Canada while I was a Master’s student. I received my CoPR on 1st May 2018.

Permanent residency application using Research Assistant or Teaching Assistant experience is a less explored path, so, before applying or even after submitting my application, I went through a lot of threads in this forum and I saw a lot of confusions, doubts, and controversies about this particular NOC. I had so many questions so I reached out to several people in this forum as well as in Facebook to get an answer. I would like to take this opportunity to acknowledge them for their guidance and contribution. As my journey to the Canadian PR is almost complete, I would like to compile some of the questions in this thread, that I had in my mind and I was having real hard time to find the answers, so that it could help future aspirants who will take this path.

Q1. Is it possible to apply for Express Entry using NOC 4012 (Research Assistant/Teaching Assistant) work experience obtained in Canada under study permit?

A: Though you worked in Canada as an RA/TA, you won’t be considered as Canadian Experience Class (CEC) applicant because the work experience you gained was under study permit. Even though you worked in Canada, your work experience will be counted as a foreign work experience. But if someone worked as an RA/TA under PGWP or any other sort of work permits, they might be considered as CEC applicant.

A: If you worked as RA/TA outside Canada, you will be awarded regular CRS points for that experience.
If you worked as RA/TA in Canada under your work permit, you will also get regular CRS points.
But, here is the catch, if you worked as RA/TA in Canada when you were a student, you won’t be awarded any CRS points. Nevertheless, the work experience will be surely counted as “Foreign Experience”, which will make you eligible for Federal Skilled Worker (FSW) stream of Express Entry system, as minimum one year’s work experience is a must for the EE system.

A: A job reference letter mentioning your job duration, work hour, salary, job duties (it must be coordinated with the job duties of NOC4012) etc. from your supervisor is a must. Additionally, you can provide your appointment letter, a few pay stubs, T4/T4A and a letter from HR/Payroll confirming your salary.

A: Yes! Proof of fund is not necessary for CEC applicants. But for Federal Skilled Worker (FSW) stream, you need to provide proof of funds.

If you have more questions, feel free to ask in the comment box. I will try to answer as much as I can.

Thank you and good luck!
hi thank you so much for your explanation!

I am trying to gather supporting docs as you mentioned, I am wondering if you still have the docs you provided for your application that you could share with me as a reference? how many hours of RA work did your supervisor mention you were doing per week? because I know as masters graduate students in Canada we technically work full time as RA but based on our study permit we are only allowed 20h work per week. so how many hours did you have on your letter which was accepted? thank you so much!.
my email newshaarezi@gmail.com

jamilmuradov

Star Member
Feb 23, 2019
Regarding work hour restrictions: 1. "There are no restrictions on the number of hours students can work on campus [as per R186(f)] in addition to working off campus, provided they continue to meet the applicable eligibility requirements." Source: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/study-permits/campus-work.html
2. "Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) does not limit the number of hours you can work on campus. Some UBC employers may restrict the hours students can work. " Source: https://students.ubc.ca/career/career-resources/working-canada/campus-work

eastgwzh

Mar 7, 2021
I worked as a RA in university after graduation for one year, with one month gap in between due to funding issues. I work full time 40hours per week and got regular payslip bi-weekly from university. All work done holding PGWP. Am I eligible for CEC? Anyone with similar experience got PR under CEC? Thank you!

curious_academician

Star Member
Jun 22, 2020
Hi. I was a JRF/SRF in an Indian university while pursuing PhD. I do not have any pay stubs to show the monthly stipend I used to get. Bank statements are not available, but even if they were the amount credited would be some bulk amount of 3-4 months, and not a monthly amount. Since UGC always used to delay and credit at once. Will that work? If not what is the alternative to showing the monthly payment?

rashoor

Jan 12, 2021

Thank you and good luck!
hi,I worked as an RA but received my payment through cheques. A letter from finance is enough mentioning that I received cheques? I don't have bank stataemtns as I left my country for years. please help

rashoor

Jan 12, 2021
hi,I worked as an RA and received my payment through cheques. A letter from finance is enough to mention that I received cheques? I don't have bank statements as I left my country for years. please help