+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

FAQ: All you need to know about applying for PR with NOC 4012 (RA/TA) work experience.

saha_pritam

Star Member
Aug 25, 2017
Canada
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
The last thing first, I applied for Permanent Residency in Canada on 25th January 2018 with my NOC 4012 (Research Assistantship) work experience obtained in Canada while I was a Master’s student. I received my CoPR on 1st May 2018.

Permanent residency application using Research Assistant or Teaching Assistant experience is a less explored path, so, before applying or even after submitting my application, I went through a lot of threads in this forum and I saw a lot of confusions, doubts, and controversies about this particular NOC. I had so many questions so I reached out to several people in this forum as well as in Facebook to get an answer. I would like to take this opportunity to acknowledge them for their guidance and contribution. As my journey to the Canadian PR is almost complete, I would like to compile some of the questions in this thread, that I had in my mind and I was having real hard time to find the answers, so that it could help future aspirants who will take this path.

Q1. Is it possible to apply for Express Entry using NOC 4012 (Research Assistant/Teaching Assistant) work experience obtained in Canada under study permit?
A: Definitely YES!

Q2: Would it make me eligible for Canadian Experience Class?
A: Though you worked in Canada as an RA/TA, you won’t be considered as Canadian Experience Class (CEC) applicant because the work experience you gained was under study permit. Even though you worked in Canada, your work experience will be counted as a foreign work experience. But if someone worked as an RA/TA under PGWP or any other sort of work permits, they might be considered as CEC applicant.

Q3: How many CRS points will I be awarded for this NOC 4012 work experience?
A: If you worked as RA/TA outside Canada, you will be awarded regular CRS points for that experience.
If you worked as RA/TA in Canada under your work permit, you will also get regular CRS points.
But, here is the catch, if you worked as RA/TA in Canada when you were a student, you won’t be awarded any CRS points. Nevertheless, the work experience will be surely counted as “Foreign Experience”, which will make you eligible for Federal Skilled Worker (FSW) stream of Express Entry system, as minimum one year’s work experience is a must for the EE system.

Q4: What do I need to provide to prove of my RA/TA (NOC 4012) experience?
A: A job reference letter mentioning your job duration, work hour, salary, job duties (it must be coordinated with the job duties of NOC4012) etc. from your supervisor is a must. Additionally, you can provide your appointment letter, a few pay stubs, T4/T4A and a letter from HR/Payroll confirming your salary.

Q5: Do I need to provide proof of funds?
A: Yes! Proof of fund is not necessary for CEC applicants. But for Federal Skilled Worker (FSW) stream, you need to provide proof of funds.

If you have more questions, feel free to ask in the comment box. I will try to answer as much as I can.

Thank you and good luck!

ashrafa123

Sep 6, 2017
Thanks a lot for clarifying many of confusions. I was PhD student in Korea, and during my PhD studies I worked as a RA for four years with a monthly pay of 2000 USD. I worked around 40 hours a week.
After PhD completion I worked full time 40 hrs/week for one year in Canada. I am preparing to apply for PR. Can i get points for my RA experience gained during PhD studies.

As I have one year Canadian experience, I can apply for CEC. Will I be able to get points for RA experience under CEC?

I have supervisor letter, pay stubs and bank statement to support RA experience.

Thank you so much.

Reactions: ndoan95

saha_pritam

Star Member
Aug 25, 2017
Canada
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
Thanks a lot for clarifying many of confusions. I was PhD student in Korea, and during my PhD studies I worked as a RA for four years with a monthly pay of 2000 USD. I worked around 40 hours a week.
After PhD completion I worked full time 40 hrs/week for one year in Canada. I am preparing to apply for PR. Can i get points for my RA experience gained during PhD studies.

As I have one year Canadian experience, I can apply for CEC. Will I be able to get points for RA experience under CEC?

I have supervisor letter, pay stubs and bank statement to support RA experience.

Thank you so much.
Yes! Your Canadian experience will make you eligible for CEC but your RA will be counted as foreign experience and as it was outside Canada, you will get some additional points for that as well.

b_xi

Jun 14, 2018
Hi saha,
For my case, I am a phd student and have one year experience of RA.
I am also holding an open work permit cause I got my master from Canada. I think I can do a full time job legally.
Can I claim I am doing the RA full time based on my work permit in order to get CRS points?
Thanks.

Hany.B

Oct 4, 2018
Hi Saha,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience. I wish I had seen this earlier!
I have been doing PhD in Canada for more than 4 years with RA/TA salary which, as you said, is counted as foreign work experience. So, to be more clear, when filling the comprehensive ranking system form, should I fill "none" skilled work experience in Canada and "3 years or more" total work experience?

I would appreciate it if anyone could answer.

Thanks.

The last thing first, I applied for Permanent Residency in Canada on 25th January 2018 with my NOC 4012 (Research Assistantship) work experience obtained in Canada while I was a Master’s student. I received my CoPR on 1st May 2018.

Permanent residency application using Research Assistant or Teaching Assistant experience is a less explored path, so, before applying or even after submitting my application, I went through a lot of threads in this forum and I saw a lot of confusions, doubts, and controversies about this particular NOC. I had so many questions so I reached out to several people in this forum as well as in Facebook to get an answer. I would like to take this opportunity to acknowledge them for their guidance and contribution. As my journey to the Canadian PR is almost complete, I would like to compile some of the questions in this thread, that I had in my mind and I was having real hard time to find the answers, so that it could help future aspirants who will take this path.

Q1. Is it possible to apply for Express Entry using NOC 4012 (Research Assistant/Teaching Assistant) work experience obtained in Canada under study permit?

A: Though you worked in Canada as an RA/TA, you won’t be considered as Canadian Experience Class (CEC) applicant because the work experience you gained was under study permit. Even though you worked in Canada, your work experience will be counted as a foreign work experience. But if someone worked as an RA/TA under PGWP or any other sort of work permits, they might be considered as CEC applicant.

A: If you worked as RA/TA outside Canada, you will be awarded regular CRS points for that experience.
If you worked as RA/TA in Canada under your work permit, you will also get regular CRS points.
But, here is the catch, if you worked as RA/TA in Canada when you were a student, you won’t be awarded any CRS points. Nevertheless, the work experience will be surely counted as “Foreign Experience”, which will make you eligible for Federal Skilled Worker (FSW) stream of Express Entry system, as minimum one year’s work experience is a must for the EE system.

A: A job reference letter mentioning your job duration, work hour, salary, job duties (it must be coordinated with the job duties of NOC4012) etc. from your supervisor is a must. Additionally, you can provide your appointment letter, a few pay stubs, T4/T4A and a letter from HR/Payroll confirming your salary.

A: Yes! Proof of fund is not necessary for CEC applicants. But for Federal Skilled Worker (FSW) stream, you need to provide proof of funds.

If you have more questions, feel free to ask in the comment box. I will try to answer as much as I can.

Thank you and good luck!

steadz12

Oct 29, 2017

Thank you and good luck!
Thanks for the info :)
I just have one question: Do I need to have a valid job offer (current) in order to apply through FSW with my previous experience being qualified NOC 4012 ?

eykash

Oct 10, 2018
Hi Saha and the rest of the experts here.

I have a rather clear-cut question, which I need to resolve before completing my EE profile on CIC website:
I have a PhD in English from the U.S. During my doctoral studies, I worked as a TA for the department (although I was instructor of record and didn't just shadow a professor; it was my own one-man show) for 6 years (50% FTE). After that I worked as Postdoc in another school for 10.5 months (one education year).

Now, I don't know whether I should go for NOC 4012 or NOC 4011 for 'the Primary Occupation' section of the profile. I have more experience in 4012, although the career plan is to be a professor/lecturer in Canada if I get to land a good academic job (which is NOC 4012). I intend to insert both experiences in the work history section. So, could you give me a tip on what NOC do I fall under for the primary occupation?

jamilmuradov

Star Member
Feb 23, 2019

Thank you and good luck!
Dear saha_pritam,

Thanks for sharing your story!
I would like to clarify the following: imagine I start a research-based PhD on a study permit. I receive a monthly stipend of x$ for performing all the duties listed under NOC 4012. I do not have a job offer, however, do not pay taxes, and I am not listed as an employee.

Do I qualify for the program?

Jas90

Mar 9, 2019
Hi,
I have several doubts about the Express Entry process. I have around 3 years of experience in NOC 4012. I worked as a research assistant(part-time) and a teaching assistant (part-time) at an institution. Do I qualify for express entry?

If yes, which province should I choose in order to get invitation faster?

In case if I am able to immigrate do I have to work in a similar field to what my NOC is?

Note: I have a Master's in Industrial Engineering from the US.

Any kind suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Raha_1986

Oct 31, 2017
Need advice immediately...
My husband and I are going to apply through EE under FSW. We are going to do it through NOC 4012 as my husband was a PhD student. I know that since he didn't have work permit, it doesn't count as Canadian work experience. But, when we answer to questions to check the eligibility and make our express entry profile, should we enter "None" for how many years of work experience he has in Canada and "3 years or more" for his overall work experience in the last ten years? It is confusing as the work was done in Canada but it is considered as foreign work experience.

Thanks

saha_pritam

Star Member
Aug 25, 2017
Canada
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
Need advice immediately...
My husband and I are going to apply through EE under FSW. We are going to do it through NOC 4012 as my husband was a PhD student. I know that since he didn't have work permit, it doesn't count as Canadian work experience. But, when we answer to questions to check the eligibility and make our express entry profile, should we enter "None" for how many years of work experience he has in Canada and "3 years or more" for his overall work experience in the last ten years? It is confusing as the work was done in Canada but it is considered as foreign work experience.

Thanks
For eligibility check declare No Canadian Experience and 3 years of foreign skilled work experience. But make sure to deduct your foreign experience points from your total CRS point to project your true CRS point. As the eligibility calculator doesn’t know that the work experience you are claiming was actually gained while you were in Study Permit in Canada, it awards you point for the foreign experience as well. But when you are opening a real express entry profile it does calculate your total CRS point with no point in work experience.

Reactions: Raha_1986

Raha_1986

Oct 31, 2017
For eligibility check declare No Canadian Experience and 3 years of foreign skilled work experience. But make sure to deduct your foreign experience points from your total CRS point to project your true CRS point. As the eligibility calculator doesn’t know that the work experience you are claiming was actually gained while you were in Study Permit in Canada, it awards you point for the foreign experience as well. But when you are opening a real express entry profile it does calculate your total CRS point with no point in work experience.
Thanks a lot for your prompt reply. We will receive 600 points from PNP program so I think it should be fine.

Reactions: saha_pritam

csadangi

Jul 1, 2017
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Edmonton
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
17-07-2019
Doc's Request.
Additional documents submitted upfront on 16-08-19
AOR Received.
17-07-2019
IELTS Request
Jan-2019
Med's Done....
16-08-2019
Hi Saha,

thanks for bringing this up. I am currently working as a postdoc in Canada and I applied under CEC (application submitted). I showed 1 year (part time) of foreign experience while doing my phd from Germany under NOC 4012.
Will the VO calculate the points or will he deduct the points while evaluating my application? I guess I was awarded 25 points for this experience.

Thank you

MARYKE4NNY

Nov 1, 2016
USA
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Montreal
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
16-08-2019
AOR Received.
16-08-2019
Passport Req..
12-05-2021
Hi Saha,

I am presently a PhD student in the US. I have 1 year 11 months and 23 days of part time (20 hrs/week) as a teaching assistant. I used this as my primary NOC code. Do you think this will work?