+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

FAQ: All you need to know about applying for PR with NOC 4012 (RA/TA) work experience.

b_t_

Aug 26, 2021
Hello,
Thank you for the valuable information.
I will be submitting my profile next week, and I need advice on the following:

--> When I submit my profile, should I mention that the work experience that I acquired is "a Canadian work experience" or "Foreign work experience"?
(Note that I am studying at a university in Canada, under a study permit).

Thanks!

mr.preetsingh

VIP Member
Oct 26, 2017
Canada
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
14-04-2018
Doc's Request.
NA
Nomination.....
NA
AOR Received.
14-04-2018
IELTS Request
NA
File Transfer...
NA
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
07-04-2018
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
19-06-2018
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2018
LANDED..........
06-09-2018
hi,I worked as an RA and received my payment through cheques. A letter from finance is enough to mention that I received cheques? I don't have bank statements as I left my country for years. please help
You should get a salary certificate from your employer.

b_t_

Aug 26, 2021
Hello,

--> When I submit my profile, should I mention that the work experience that I acquired is "a Canadian work experience" or "Foreign work experience"?

Thanks!

mr.preetsingh

VIP Member
Oct 26, 2017
Canada
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
14-04-2018
Doc's Request.
NA
Nomination.....
NA
AOR Received.
14-04-2018
IELTS Request
NA
File Transfer...
NA
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
07-04-2018
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
19-06-2018
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2018
LANDED..........
06-09-2018
Hello,

Thanks!
If you are studying, you can not claim points for Canadian Work Experience during that time.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/eligibility/canadian-experience-class.html#minimum

Saloni1296

Sep 7, 2021
Hi all,

I have submitted my PhD thesis recently and my PhD is from SCU, Lismore, Australia. I have one year of experience as a research assistant in India and 3 years of job experience as a part-time structural designer. What are my chances of getting PR in Canada? My DOB is 12 March 1996. Currently, I am in India and I want to apply for PR from here itself. Could any of you suggest the best option for me?

b_t_

Aug 26, 2021
Need advice immediately...
My husband and I are going to apply through EE under FSW. We are going to do it through NOC 4012 as my husband was a PhD student. I know that since he didn't have work permit, it doesn't count as Canadian work experience. But, when we answer to questions to check the eligibility and make our express entry profile, should we enter "None" for how many years of work experience he has in Canada and "3 years or more" for his overall work experience in the last ten years? It is confusing as the work was done in Canada but it is considered as foreign work experience.

Thanks
@saha_pritam

VERY IMPORTANT

Hi,
I am in a similar situation now, and I received a Provincial Nomination. However, when I am filling the "work history" section, I am asked if I have a work permit, to which I answered no (because I am on a study permit). The system gave me the following message: "Please note that the OINP will only consider work experience legally obtained in Canada."
Should I be worried about this? OR should I just submit the PNP application?

Thanks

mr.preetsingh

VIP Member
Oct 26, 2017
Canada
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
14-04-2018
Doc's Request.
NA
Nomination.....
NA
AOR Received.
14-04-2018
IELTS Request
NA
File Transfer...
NA
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
07-04-2018
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
19-06-2018
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2018
LANDED..........
06-09-2018
Hi all,

I have submitted my PhD thesis recently and my PhD is from SCU, Lismore, Australia. I have one year of experience as a research assistant in India and 3 years of job experience as a part-time structural designer. What are my chances of getting PR in Canada? My DOB is 12 March 1996. Currently, I am in India and I want to apply for PR from here itself. Could any of you suggest the best option for me?
You would need CLB 9 in IELTS and 1 more year of part time or 6 months of full time work experience for Canadian PR (evaluating current circumstances). Although, you are eligible with your present situation yet 3 years of full time work exp. confirms the applicant.

mr.preetsingh

VIP Member
Oct 26, 2017
Canada
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
14-04-2018
Doc's Request.
NA
Nomination.....
NA
AOR Received.
14-04-2018
IELTS Request
NA
File Transfer...
NA
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
07-04-2018
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
19-06-2018
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2018
LANDED..........
06-09-2018
@saha_pritam

VERY IMPORTANT

Hi,
I am in a similar situation now, and I received a Provincial Nomination. However, when I am filling the "work history" section, I am asked if I have a work permit, to which I answered no (because I am on a study permit). The system gave me the following message: "Please note that the OINP will only consider work experience legally obtained in Canada."
Should I be worried about this? OR should I just submit the PNP application?

Thanks
Under Ph.D PNP stream, Work Experience is not required.
https://www.ontario.ca/page/oinp-phd-graduate-stream#section-2

b_t_

Aug 26, 2021
Hi @mr.preetsingh
I very much appreciate your prompt response to my urgent inquiry.
However, I am applying under the French-Skilled Worker stream, where 1 year of experience is necessary. On OINP's website (for french skilled workers; https://www.ontario.ca/page/ontarios-express-entry-french-speaking-skilled-worker-stream), it only says in the "Work Experience" section that under CEC, experience gained as a student is not acceptable. It doesn't mention anything about FSWP, which is why I am wondering how I should react to the message I got from them when I was putting my research experience that is obtained in Canada for NOC4012 (The message was Please note that the OINP will only consider work experience legally obtained in Canada.) I obtained this experience while on a study permit, which is still "legally" obtained from Canada, right?
The Main Question is: Do you think that I should proceed with the application and ignore this message that I am getting after saying that I did not obtain the work experience under a work permit? OR does this mean that they will reject my application?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Helia%^

Mar 16, 2022
The last thing first, I applied for Permanent Residency in Canada on 25th January 2018 with my NOC 4012 (Research Assistantship) work experience obtained in Canada while I was a Master’s student. I received my CoPR on 1st May 2018.

Permanent residency application using Research Assistant or Teaching Assistant experience is a less explored path, so, before applying or even after submitting my application, I went through a lot of threads in this forum and I saw a lot of confusions, doubts, and controversies about this particular NOC. I had so many questions so I reached out to several people in this forum as well as in Facebook to get an answer. I would like to take this opportunity to acknowledge them for their guidance and contribution. As my journey to the Canadian PR is almost complete, I would like to compile some of the questions in this thread, that I had in my mind and I was having real hard time to find the answers, so that it could help future aspirants who will take this path.

Q1. Is it possible to apply for Express Entry using NOC 4012 (Research Assistant/Teaching Assistant) work experience obtained in Canada under study permit?
A: Definitely YES!

Q2: Would it make me eligible for Canadian Experience Class?
A: Though you worked in Canada as an RA/TA, you won’t be considered as Canadian Experience Class (CEC) applicant because the work experience you gained was under study permit. Even though you worked in Canada, your work experience will be counted as a foreign work experience. But if someone worked as an RA/TA under PGWP or any other sort of work permits, they might be considered as CEC applicant.

Q3: How many CRS points will I be awarded for this NOC 4012 work experience?
A: If you worked as RA/TA outside Canada, you will be awarded regular CRS points for that experience.
If you worked as RA/TA in Canada under your work permit, you will also get regular CRS points.
But, here is the catch, if you worked as RA/TA in Canada when you were a student, you won’t be awarded any CRS points. Nevertheless, the work experience will be surely counted as “Foreign Experience”, which will make you eligible for Federal Skilled Worker (FSW) stream of Express Entry system, as minimum one year’s work experience is a must for the EE system.

Q4: What do I need to provide to prove of my RA/TA (NOC 4012) experience?
A: A job reference letter mentioning your job duration, work hour, salary, job duties (it must be coordinated with the job duties of NOC4012) etc. from your supervisor is a must. Additionally, you can provide your appointment letter, a few pay stubs, T4/T4A and a letter from HR/Payroll confirming your salary.

Q5: Do I need to provide proof of funds?
A: Yes! Proof of fund is not necessary for CEC applicants. But for Federal Skilled Worker (FSW) stream, you need to provide proof of funds.

If you have more questions, feel free to ask in the comment box. I will try to answer as much as I can.

Thank you and good luck!
Thank you so much. One question, for putting the RA experience done while I was a master's student in Canada on my study permit, what should I put for the question regarding work permit? It doesn't require a work permit or that it requires but doesn't require LMIA? If I put doesn't require a work permit wouldn't it tell me that I am eligible and throw me out of the pool?

ramseriv

Star Member
Mar 20, 2021
Express entry has two parts. First part, you calculate your initial score with at least one-year work experience. If you get more than 67 or something, you are eligible to apply. Your experience under a study permit counts here.
Second part, you need to get a competitive CRS to get drawn from the pool. Since your RA in Canada doesn't give you any CRS, it's meaningless.

If you work in Canada on a work permit and has less than a year of experience so you are not qualified for CEC. You can claim the work experience and get CRS, but not on a study permit.

"But, here is the catch, if you worked as RA/TA in Canada when you were a student, you won’t be awarded any CRS points."

https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=394&top=29
What is stated here is correct, though I want to explain my case:

To get the +67 points:

I have Work experience of 7y from my professional career (my country work experience), and will be a Graduate student TA in Canada.

So I'm considering to apply for FSW as soon as completed the 1year of TA job position to be able to get the 67 points

They ask you for Work experience , I will add my professional work experience *7y (which is a NOC diff from the one is given to the TAships)-15 pts

1. in which question of the 67 points factor does the TA points applies, is it in Adaptability points?

2. My career is Civil Engineering, does this means I can put the corresponded NOC for Civil Engineers when claiming 7y of experience (IN MY COUNTRY) even though it is a regulated profession for Canada- They claim regulated profession must be authorized , but does it has to be regulated in Canada even though my application is through FSW?

Whoever got at least one of these 2 answer , plz do not hesitate to reply back.

Thank you in advanced!

Last edited:

hrsh_gulati

Sep 14, 2022
Hi. I was a JRF/SRF in an Indian university while pursuing PhD. I do not have any pay stubs to show the monthly stipend I used to get. Bank statements are not available, but even if they were the amount credited would be some bulk amount of 3-4 months, and not a monthly amount. Since UGC always used to delay and credit at once. Will that work? If not what is the alternative to showing the monthly payment?
hii, same problm I am facing, have you resolved this? please help if you done with this