+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Family with young children -- Study Permit or eTA

Sami2002

Mar 5, 2018
Hello all,

My wife (a general surgeon) will be attending a 1-2 year clinical fellowship program at an Ontario hospital. She will be applying for an employer-specific work permit. As her spouse I will be applying for an open work permit.

We are trying to apply online as a family from outside Canada, with my wife as the primary applicant.

Our children are aged 6 and 3.5. For the 6-year-old I understand I need to apply for a study permit for her to attend primary school.

But since the 3.5-year-old does not require a study permit, when I try to apply for a regular "visitor - all other types" for him, the system does not allow me to proceed saying that he does not require a visitor visa. Yet, when I modify my response on the form to state that I wish to apply for a study permit for him, I'm allowed to continue with my application.

So my questions are:

1. Is it generally better to apply as a family, or should my wife first get her visa alone and then have myself and the children apply separately later on?

2. How should we apply for our youngest child? Should we leave him off the visa application form entirely, and only get him an eTA to ensure he is allowed entry into Canada with us? (Note: based on our nationally, we would not be required to apply for Canadian visitor visas, which is why he would only require an eTA)

3. Given our circumstances above, is there anything else I should try?

Any answers or advice you can offer will be very much appreciated!

Sami2002

Mar 5, 2018
Thanks, Mythripotturu! It makes sense.
So in terms of the initial application, you'd suggest I just include my wife, myself and my daughter (leaving my son off it), right?

Thanks!