+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Family Unit Size - Grandparents, parents sponsorship

sislam1

May 25, 2020
Hello friends, I wanted to clarify the correct family unit would be.

1. So if a niece wants to send an application for Grandparents, and the niece is single...is the unit 2 since she is only applying for 2 grandparents? Or 3, which includes the niece? Niece + grandfather + grandmother ? Sorry if this seems like a trivial question for you seasoned people in here!

2. Also, the daughter who is also a Canadian, was working abroad for last 2 years and thus, not in Canada at the moment. But the plan is to move back to Canada. Would she still be eligible?

Thank you!

nayr69sg

Champion Member
Apr 13, 2017

1. So if a niece wants to send an application for Grandparents, and the niece is single...is the unit 2 since she is only applying for 2 grandparents? Or 3, which includes the niece? Niece + grandfather + grandmother ? Sorry if this seems like a trivial question for you seasoned people in here!

2. Also, the daughter who is also a Canadian, was working abroad for last 2 years and thus, not in Canada at the moment. But the plan is to move back to Canada. Would she still be eligible?

Thank you!
Family unit Niece + grandfather + grandmother = 3.

The daughter....you mean the niece's mother ie the Grandparents' daughter?

When you ask eligible as in eligible to sponsor the parents? Or eligible to be co-sponsor?

Only spouses can co-sponsor. No mother-daughter co-sponsors.

The daughter working abroad cannot be a main sponsor as she is not living in Canada

Last edited:
Reactions: sislam1

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

Thank you!
1. 3
2. No. Must be living in Canada.

Reactions: sislam1

Pal3580

Star Member
Mar 29, 2018
Hi friends I just want to know about definition of family size.
We are six persons in a family. Me,my wife,my father,mother and my two son aged 21 and 20.elder son is on his full time job and younger is a student nd do a part time job.
My query is that now my wife want to sponcer her parents and how we can describe our family size.because my elder son is doing full time job so I just want to know if he is still part of my family members i e six members or there is a different criteria to describe family members.one more question if my elder son still in our family then his income is part of family or not.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi friends I just want to know about definition of family size.
We are six persons in a family. Me,my wife,my father,mother and my two son aged 21 and 20.elder son is on his full time job and younger is a student nd do a part time job.
My query is that now my wife want to sponcer her parents and how we can describe our family size.because my elder son is doing full time job so I just want to know if he is still part of my family members i e six members or there is a different criteria to describe family members.one more question if my elder son still in our family then his income is part of family or not.
This is tricky. It depends if the older son is still financially dependent on his parents or not. A full time job does not always mean he's independent.

Manpreet2146

Oct 12, 2020
Hi,
I have few questions regarding PGP program.
I wanted to apply for my parents but they have 2dependants (my siblings) under the age of 22 and I am single and permanent resident living in Quebec. If I only apply for my parents then my siblings will automatically get PR along with my parents?
how much income do I need to require.
will I need to count the family as 3 or 5 including me, my parents and my dependent sublings.
2. I moved in quebec this year in February.
will they count the income for this year 2020 or it will be based out of 2019.
as in2019 I was in Winnipeg and not earned anything in quebec .
if they will count for 2020, Can I submit an interest on Oct 13 this week??
Someone please help me ?
thanks in advance.

Citizen19

Nov 22, 2019
Hi,
I have few questions regarding PGP program.
I wanted to apply for my parents but they have 2dependants (my siblings) under the age of 22 and I am single and permanent resident living in Quebec. If I only apply for my parents then my siblings will automatically get PR along with my parents?
how much income do I need to require.
will I need to count the family as 3 or 5 including me, my parents and my dependent sublings.
2. I moved in quebec this year in February.
will they count the income for this year 2020 or it will be based out of 2019.
as in2019 I was in Winnipeg and not earned anything in quebec .
if they will count for 2020, Can I submit an interest on Oct 13 this week??
Someone please help me ?
thanks in advance.
Family size will be 5

Pal3580

Star Member
Mar 29, 2018
Thanx for your prompt reply but he is planning to shift soon on other adress because of new job in Rcmp.i m lil bit confused on current situation