+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Family sponsorship

Nov 17, 2018
I am a Canadian citizen living in South Africa. I have applied for immigration with my husband and 3 children. We have sent off our application. I’m wanting to find out firstly is 12 months the current application completion time? And secondly is it possibly to move over to Canada as a family in the interim and continue that side waiting for the permanent Resident Status for my husband and children to come through. Or does this jeopardize our application being a success. ?

monkeys89

Aug 24, 2018
Category........
FAM
12 months is the target for 80% of applications. There will be some that are faster, and some that take longer.

If your family is visa-exempt, you can attempt to come to Canada and wait. However, be aware that there may be concerns from CBSA if you appear to be settling in Canada prior to receiving your PR.

If they are not visa-exempt, they would need to apply for tourist visas, and would not always be approved to receive one.

If you get them into Canada and CIC determines that an interview is necessary, they may need to return to South Africa for the interview.

Nov 17, 2018
Thank you for that. It’s very helpful. Another question then. Would the same apply for my parents. My mom is also a Canadian Citizen but my father is not. Would they be able to move to Canada and apply from that side as they have not as yet started their application. They also both pensioners so no work permits would be needed. I’m also guessing not but worth asking.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thank you for that. It’s very helpful. Another question then. Would the same apply for my parents. My mom is also a Canadian Citizen but my father is not. Would they be able to move to Canada and apply from that side as they have not as yet started their application. They also both pensioners so no work permits would be needed. I’m also guessing not but worth asking.
To confirm, were you born outside of Canada to your Canadian mother?

If your father requires a TRV, chances of approval are low but he can certainly apply. If approved, he could come to Canada as a visitor while the PR app processes, meaning only a few bags like a normal visitor.

I am a Canadian citizen living in South Africa. I have applied for immigration with my husband and 3 children. We have sent off our application. I’m wanting to find out firstly is 12 months the current application completion time? And secondly is it possibly to move over to Canada as a family in the interim and continue that side waiting for the permanent Resident Status for my husband and children to come through. Or does this jeopardize our application being a success. ?
As above for your father, if your family need TRVs, they can apply but chances are low. If approved, there is no issue coming to Canada while the app processes. And as above, they would be coming as visitors, not moving to Canada.