+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Family Sponsorship!

iHumiliate

Mar 18, 2018
Yes. IRCC and CBSA will immediately know she's out of status once the PR app is submitted.

As mentioned, they may or may not act on it, every case seems to be different.
I read that in order to be a member of the common-law partner class in Canada, you need to cohabit with the sponsor, be the subject of a sponsorship application, and have temporary resident status in Canada. Since she overstayed her visa, wouldn't she automatically be denied?

iHumiliate

Mar 18, 2018
I am not sure if anyone who answered prior is still reading. But I have a question. If my family member is discharged and no longer on social assistance, would the girl he wants to sponsor fall under any type of policy? Even if she overstayed her prior visa? Or would it be best she just leave Canada?

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
three years? I thought he had a 5-year requirement? Maybe I read that wrong
No it's 3 years.

I read that in order to be a member of the common-law partner class in Canada, you need to cohabit with the sponsor, be the subject of a sponsorship application, and have temporary resident status in Canada. Since she overstayed her visa, wouldn't she automatically be denied?
It's not a requirement to be in valid status. As I mentioned in previous post, many people illegally staying in Canada with no status have successfully been sponsored for PR under a family class app.

Having no status means the applicant would not qualify for an Open Work Permit upfront with the PR app.

iHumiliate

Mar 18, 2018
No it's 3 years.

It's not a requirement to be in valid status. As I mentioned in previous post, many people illegally staying in Canada with no status have successfully been sponsored for PR under a family class app.

Having no status means the applicant would not qualify for an Open Work Permit upfront with the PR app.
Isn't there some sort of Public Policy in effect now that someone can be sponsored as a spouse or common-law partner if they are in Canada with no status? Maybe I read that wrong.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Isn't there some sort of Public Policy in effect now that someone can be sponsored as a spouse or common-law partner if they are in Canada with no status? Maybe I read that wrong.
Already answered. No - there isn't. Plenty of people here have sponsored partners without status.

iHumiliate

Mar 18, 2018
Already answered. No - there isn't. Plenty of people here have sponsored partners without status.
Then why in the Act, does it talk about a Public Policy in regards to a Spouse/Common-Law Partner with no status in Canada?

Sorry if I am not understanding it. I thought if or when they apply and if Canada Immigration red flags this lady because of overstaying a visa, they can fall back on the Public Policy of a partner or spouse being in Canada with no status.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Then why in the Act, does it talk about a Public Policy in regards to a Spouse/Common-Law Partner with no status in Canada?

Sorry if I am not understanding it. I thought if or when they apply and if Canada Immigration red flags this lady because of overstaying a visa, they can fall back on the Public Policy of a partner or spouse being in Canada with no status.
You'll need to provide a link to the specific text you are talking about.

Yes - her lack of status will be a red flag and they should expect their application to be reviewed more closely. No - this doesn't prevent her from being sponsored. Again, plenty of success stories here.

iHumiliate

Mar 18, 2018
You'll need to provide a link to the specific text you are talking about.

Yes - her lack of status will be a red flag and they should expect their application to be reviewed more closely. No - this doesn't prevent her from being sponsored. Again, plenty of success stories here.

I googled and found this. Thought it may relate to them. It is the last one under the Public Policies heading.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/mandate/policies-operational-instructions-agreements.html

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
I googled and found this. Thought it may relate to them. It is the last one under the Public Policies heading.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/mandate/policies-operational-instructions-agreements.html
Did you actually read the policy? It states the opposite of what you were saying above:

This means that spouses or common-law partners in Canada, regardless of their immigration status, are now able to apply for permanent residence from within Canada in accordance with the same criteria as members of the Spouse or Common-law Partner in Canada class

Reactions: scylla

iHumiliate

Mar 18, 2018
Did you actually read the policy? It states the opposite of what you were saying above:

This means that spouses or common-law partners in Canada, regardless of their immigration status, are now able to apply for permanent residence from within Canada in accordance with the same criteria as members of the Spouse or Common-law Partner in Canada class
What do you mean opposite of what I was saying? Does this policy not fall into what they are trying to do?

iHumiliate

Mar 18, 2018
Would my family member need to meet a Minimum income to sponsor this lady and her kids? And if he includes the children (minus the one that is Canadian because of her father), is it still the Common-Law application?

DollyM

Jul 6, 2016
Middle of Nowhere, Perth, Western Australia
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-07-2016
Doc's Request.
29-07-2016
AOR Received.
02-09-2016
File Transfer...
31 August 2016
Med's Done....
25-07-2016
"My family member does not have a job but does have some savings that no one knows about. He also is currently in bankruptcy and is on Social Assistance."

So, your family member is ok with defrauding the social assistance system as well?

If he has savings that nobody knows about then he is also claiming bankruptcy fraudulently.

Nice "family member" you've got there.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
What do you mean opposite of what I was saying? Does this policy not fall into what they are trying to do?
You are flip flopping in what you're saying so it's hard to understand you. You originally wrote this:

Reactions: cdylie

iHumiliate

Mar 18, 2018
You are flip flopping in what you're saying so it's hard to understand you. You originally wrote this:

Yes, sorry. After I then read about the Public Policy. I guess technically she does not meet the requirements of being sponsored that it says in the Regulations. But, she can fall in the Public Policy since she overstayed her visa.