+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Family Sponsorship vs New PR

quantized

Aug 11, 2018
My wife has a Canadian PR that's valid up to June 2021, she did her landing in June 2016. I have applied for my PR and hopefully if everything goes well I will have it by mid 2019. We both live in US and planning to move to Canada in 2020.

Clearly if we move in 2020 she will not meet the residency criteria of staying in Canada for 2 years.

I have sorted it down to 3 options
1. Cancel her current PR and apply for a new Express Entry.
2. Take the risk and enter Canada and after I'm there I can sponsor her. (I'm not sure if she will still need to give up her PR for me to sponsor her)
3. Apply for her sponsorship when i receive my PR while we are outside Canada by showing that we have a convincing reason to move to Canada.

I'm not sure which of them is most feasible and if I'm missing out something. Advice appreciated.

Also, Will there be a problem while entering as the officer can figure out that she cannot meet the residency requirements?

Thanks in Advance

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
3. Not an option. Only available to Canadian citizens.
2. Yes she's have to renounce PR for you to sponsor her.

You have to figure out whether she can remain in Canada for 2 straight years. Many people have to travel for work or need to visit family which won't be possible without a valid PR card for 1-2 years. Are you moving with more than suitcases? That may lead to more questions about your RO.

Amy mouse

Star Member
Oct 7, 2018
South Australia
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Sydney, Nova Scotia
App. Filed.......
09-08-2018 returned 31-10-2018
Doc's Request.
17 jan 19 and 23 feb
AOR Received.
Nil
Another option she goes back too canafa now too keep pr and meets you over there

quantized

Aug 11, 2018
@Amy mouse and @canuck78 : thanks for taking out time to reply.
As per our personal situation, I don’t think it will be easy for any one of us to move to Canada before June. Do you know what the proceedings will look like if she tried to enter Canada on a PR when she has less than 2 years remaining? If her PR is revoked (which I assume will take some time) can she stay in Canada with me on some other visa?

I believe our best option is to take IELTS again soon and calculate score, if it’s above cutoff we can apply for Express Entry and renounce the PR. Do you think renouncing the PR will work against her getting a new PR?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
@Amy mouse and @canuck78 : thanks for taking out time to reply.
As per our personal situation, I don’t think it will be easy for any one of us to move to Canada before June. Do you know what the proceedings will look like if she tried to enter Canada on a PR when she has less than 2 years remaining? If her PR is revoked (which I assume will take some time) can she stay in Canada with me on some other visa?

I believe our best option is to take IELTS again soon and calculate score, if it’s above cutoff we can apply for Express Entry and renounce the PR. Do you think renouncing the PR will work against her getting a new PR?
Can't predict who gets reported. There is an appeal process but if she loses she would have to remain in Canada without status and you could apply to sponsor her but she couldn't work. It is very hard to play the "what if" game. Renouncing PR has no negative impact.

quantized

Aug 11, 2018
Can't predict who gets reported. There is an appeal process but if she loses she would have to remain in Canada without status and you could apply to sponsor her but she couldn't work. It is very hard to play the "what if" game. Renouncing PR has no negative impact.
That's concerning. Do you know when can I sponsor her after moving to Canada and how long does the process take? And I believe she will have to give up her PR and move to visitor's visa to continue to stay with me when I sponsor her. Oh boy! it's a tricky situation.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
That's concerning. Do you know when can I sponsor her after moving to Canada and how long does the process take? And I believe she will have to give up her PR and move to visitor's visa to continue to stay with me when I sponsor her. Oh boy! it's a tricky situation.
1 year. She might qualify for EE again which would be 6 months. This all depends on getting reported. Hard to say who gets reported and who doesn't. Being from a non-visa except country increases the chances and moving stuff increases your chances.

quantized

Aug 11, 2018
1 year. She might qualify for EE again which would be 6 months. This all depends on getting reported. Hard to say who gets reported and who doesn't. Being from a non-visa except country increases the chances and moving stuff increases your chances.
Sorry, I'm confused. Can I start the sponsorship process after 1 year I have stayed in Canada or I can apply immediately and the process takes 1 year?

If we both were moving in our own PRs we both can take different routes and I can move in with all the moving stuff to reduce chances of being isolated.

Amy mouse

Star Member
Oct 7, 2018
South Australia
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Sydney, Nova Scotia
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
17 jan 19 and 23 feb
AOR Received.
Nil
You are aware any time already spent in Canada counts. The days dont have to consecutive. So the time between getting her pr and going to the usa will also count. You may be lucky and have enough combined time. Seriously though being apart for a short while to keep it is not the end of the world. My husband and I like many others are worlds apart.. lol waiting for pr

quantized

Aug 11, 2018
You are aware any time already spent in Canada counts. The days dont have to consecutive. So the time between getting her pr and going to the usa will also count. You may be lucky and have enough combined time. Seriously though being apart for a short while to keep it is not the end of the world. My husband and I like many others are worlds apart.. lol waiting for pr
thanks Amy. Well she barely spent 10 days in Canada. So it doesn’t matter much. My wife and I were in a long distance relationship and just moved together few months back. We don’t want to walk down the same path again.

Amy mouse

Star Member
Oct 7, 2018
South Australia
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Sydney, Nova Scotia
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
17 jan 19 and 23 feb
AOR Received.
Nil

quantized

Aug 11, 2018
@Amy mouse and @canuck78
We have decided that my wife will renounce her PR and we can apply together as we will have enough points. My application has been in post AOR state for last 3.5 months with my wife mentioned as non accompanying spouse. I have following options now:
  1. Wait for my application to get approved and then inform CIC that I have changed my mind and would like to add my wife in the application.
  2. Withdraw my application and then create a new EE profile.
  3. Inform CIC now and request them to hold on until my wife renounces her PR. I personally don’t want to do this as renouncing PR can take some time and we are risking her PR here.
What do you think is the best course of action is?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
@Amy mouse and @canuck78
We have decided that my wife will renounce her PR and we can apply together as we will have enough points. My application has been in post AOR state for last 3.5 months with my wife mentioned as non accompanying spouse. I have following options now:
  1. Wait for my application to get approved and then inform CIC that I have changed my mind and would like to add my wife in the application.
  2. Withdraw my application and then create a new EE profile.
  3. Inform CIC now and request them to hold on until my wife renounces her PR. I personally don’t want to do this as renouncing PR can take some time and we are risking her PR here.
What do you think is the best course of action is?
Just double-checking that you have enough points with her included. Pretty sure it is above 440 these days. Non-accompanying and accompanying changes point totals.

Amy mouse

Star Member
Oct 7, 2018
South Australia
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Sydney, Nova Scotia
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
17 jan 19 and 23 feb
AOR Received.
Nil
Goodluck to you guys I hope it works out for you both.