+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Family Sponsorship Spouse and Child (Options for Quebec Permanent Residents)

mtlexplorer

Jun 6, 2016
Jubail, Saudi Arabia
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
07-10-2011
Doc's Request.
04-04-2015
Nomination.....
08-02-2016
AOR Received.
08-02-2016
IELTS Request
Waivered
File Transfer...
25-05-2016
Med's Request
04-12-2016
Med's Done....
15-12-2016
Interview........
NR
Passport Req..
04-03-2017
VISA ISSUED...
17-03-2017
LANDED..........
29-09-2017
Dear Folks,

These questions are with regards to a Permanent Resident wanting to Sponsor Spouse / Child on
Family Class Sponsorship Program (affiliated to Quebec):

As a Permanent Resident, it seems the Sponsor should reside in Canada when applying for
Sponsorship.

Keeping this in mind, what are the options for a family to join sooner. Few Option-Questions below:
Please keep in mind that I am a Quebec Selected Skilled Worker with PR Status.

i. Visit Visa:
a. Can I call my family to Canada on a Visit, and then sponsor them from within Canada with their
legal status as Visitors.?
b. Will i be able to let my child study in the public schools of montreal with a Visit Visa Status.
and Will a study permit be required for a child of 5 years of age to study; considering one of the
parent is already a permanent resident(.i.e. the Father).
c.Will it be required to get Study Permits from both Quebec and Federal for the Child.
d. Will it be required to get Study Permits from both Quebec and Federal if Spouse wants to Study.

ii. Work permit:
a. Will my Spouse be able to obtain an "Open Work Permit", (She is a Doctorate in Pediatrics).
Considering that I will be a permanent resident; Would this option be suitable for my spouse.
To obtain an Open Work Permit is it required to obtain CAQ from Quebec along with the
Work Permit Approval from Federal Authority.

I understand that Visas will be valid only for the period of the Passport Validity, which i can take
care of before using the options above.

Your advice and guidance will be highly appreciated.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
i. Visit Visa:
a. Can I call my family to Canada on a Visit, and then sponsor them from within Canada with their
legal status as Visitors.?
b. Will i be able to let my child study in the public schools of montreal with a Visit Visa Status.
and Will a study permit be required for a child of 5 years of age to study; considering one of the
parent is already a permanent resident(.i.e. the Father).
c.Will it be required to get Study Permits from both Quebec and Federal for the Child.
d. Will it be required to get Study Permits from both Quebec and Federal if Spouse wants to Study.

ii. Work permit:
a. Will my Spouse be able to obtain an "Open Work Permit", (She is a Doctorate in Pediatrics).
Considering that I will be a permanent resident; Would this option be suitable for my spouse.
To obtain an Open Work Permit is it required to obtain CAQ from Quebec along with the
Work Permit Approval from Federal Authority.
Was your family included as non-accompanying dependents in your PR application?

i. a. Unless your spouse can show significant ties to their home country, there isn't much chance that she will be approved for a TRV. Someone with a citizen/PR spouse in Canada is a high risk to overstay. If they are approved, you can sponsor them while they are in Canada.

i. b. Most schools will enroll the child of a citizen/PR without a study permit, especially if there is a sponsorship app in process.

i. c and d. Quebec issues selection certificates, not permits. If your spouse wants to study a course more than 6 months long, she needs to apply for a study permit

ii. a. No, your spouse does not qualify for an OWP based on your status as a PR. If she comes to Canada and you submit an inland sponsorship app, she can include an OWP app. Otherwise, if she wants a work permit, she needs a job offer from an employer that can obtain a positive LMIA.

Reactions: mtlexplorer

mtlexplorer

Jun 6, 2016
Jubail, Saudi Arabia
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
07-10-2011
Doc's Request.
04-04-2015
Nomination.....
08-02-2016
AOR Received.
08-02-2016
IELTS Request
Waivered
File Transfer...
25-05-2016
Med's Request
04-12-2016
Med's Done....
15-12-2016
Interview........
NR
Passport Req..
04-03-2017
VISA ISSUED...
17-03-2017
LANDED..........
29-09-2017
Hi Cancuk, Thanks for your response. Appreciate it alot.

Yes My spouse and child are included in my PR Application.

Also, Could you tell me what is the difference between

Spouse or Common-Law-Partner in Canada Class
and
Family Class.

Regards,

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi Cancuk, Thanks for your response. Appreciate it alot.

Yes My spouse and child are included in my PR Application.
Apply for the TRVs. If they are approved, you can choose inland or outland. If they are refused, then you need to apply for sponsorship outland.

Reactions: mtlexplorer

mtlexplorer

Jun 6, 2016
Jubail, Saudi Arabia
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
07-10-2011
Doc's Request.
04-04-2015
Nomination.....
08-02-2016
AOR Received.
08-02-2016
IELTS Request
Waivered
File Transfer...
25-05-2016
Med's Request
04-12-2016
Med's Done....
15-12-2016
Interview........
NR
Passport Req..
04-03-2017
VISA ISSUED...
17-03-2017
LANDED..........
29-09-2017
Apply for the TRVs. If they are approved, you can choose inland or outland. If they are refused, then you need to apply for sponsorship outland.
Dear Canuck,

I went throught the Visit Visa Application on CIC website. I see that there are two options for Visit Visa ,i.e,

TRV - Less than 6 months ( Multiple Entry - 10 Years )
TRV - More than 6 months ( Multiple Entry - 10 Years )

I created a personal reference code for both these options and noticed that for the TRV with more than 6 months option, they need
proof that the Visitor will go back after a certain period. (Flight Itenirary).
Also, they are requesting Medical Exam Report IMM 1017B (This I already have as I included my Family as Accompanying on PR app)
The other things they ask are proof of funds, Invitation Letter, Proof of Relationship etc.

However, they do not ask the above just mentioned for TRV - Less than 6 months Category.

Can you advice if both TRV categories are extendable in any case.

I feel that the TRV Less than 6 months has less paperwork and proofing required.
(on the other hand)
the TRV More than 6 months allows for lengthier period of stay; but there should be proof of leaving the country at some point.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I created a personal reference code for both these options and noticed that for the TRV with more than 6 months option, they need
proof that the Visitor will go back after a certain period. (Flight Itenirary).
Also, they are requesting Medical Exam Report IMM 1017B (This I already have as I included my Family as Accompanying on PR app)
The other things they ask are proof of funds, Invitation Letter, Proof of Relationship etc.

However, they do not ask the above just mentioned for TRV - Less than 6 months Category.

Can you advice if both TRV categories are extendable in any case.
They will need to show proof of funds and very strong ties to their country regardless.

TRVs are not extendable. Visitor status is extendable.