+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Family Sponsorship - Should I wait until I complete PR Obligation days?

San050403

Jun 8, 2021
I landed on Oct 22, 2016. I was outside of the country for few years that I am completing 730 days only on Oct 05, 2021. I would like to sponsor PR for my spouse under Family Class - Outland. Should I wait until Oct 06, 2021 where I complete 731 days, or can I apply now to sponsor my Spouse. Any insight is appreciated.
Thank you!

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I landed on Oct 22, 2016. I was outside of the country for few years that I am completing 730 days only on Oct 05, 2021. I would like to sponsor PR for my spouse under Family Class - Outland. Should I wait until Oct 06, 2021 where I complete 731 days, or can I apply now to sponsor my Spouse. Any insight is appreciated.
Thank you!
You can only apply once you are in compliance with the residence obligation.

Since you asked in another thread - you don't need a valid PR card to sponsor your spouse. Wait until you are compliance before applying for the card and for sponsorship.

Reactions: YVR123

San050403

Jun 8, 2021
Thank you for updating both the threads. I will wait until I am compliant before I apply for the sponsorship. And then a bit more before I apply for PR renewal.
Also, you might have probably guessed now, the reason I wanted to renew my PR card is because if I need to travel to meet my family(out of Canada) this will be helpful rather do the PRTD once I am out of Canada.

Reactions: armoured

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Thank you for updating both the threads. I will wait until I am compliant before I apply for the sponsorship. And then a bit more before I apply for PR renewal.
Also, you might have probably guessed now, the reason I wanted to renew my PR card is because if I need to travel to meet my family(out of Canada) this will be helpful rather do the PRTD once I am out of Canada.
Since you wish to sponsor, absolutely put priority on remaining in compliance.

Note that getting a prtd will take time, and unfortunately I don't believe you'll get any "correction" to your compliance if some of your time about old is waiting for your prtd.

Yes, this may mean quite a bit of inconvenience.

Reactions: San050403

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Note, i updated that other thread. I think you may be in compliance now but do check your compliance carefully. If you intend to remain in Canada it should be okay to apply to sponsor now.

(Travel will remain tricky for the time being)

Reactions: San050403

San050403

Jun 8, 2021
(Nice, I don’t intend to travel until I get my PR renewed to keep matters simple. Let’s please focus on sponsorship in this thread since since I can wait to renew PR for now.)

My 5 years since landing(Oct 22, 2016) is coming Oct 22, 2021. I will have been in Canada for nearly 750 days on Oct 22, 2021. I calculated using physical presence calculator (used for Citizenship) with every single trip I have made since landing.

So applying to sponsor today(Sep 29) should not cause issues since I am in compliant to satisfy 730 days in five since landing?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
(Nice, I don’t intend to travel until I get my PR renewed to keep matters simple. Let’s please focus on sponsorship in this thread since since I can wait to renew PR for now.)

My 5 years since landing(Oct 22, 2016) is coming Oct 22, 2021. I will have been in Canada for nearly 750 days on Oct 22, 2021. I calculated using physical presence calculator (used for Citizenship) with every single trip I have made since landing.

So applying to sponsor today(Sep 29) should not cause issues since I am in compliant to satisfy 730 days in five since landing?
You need to be 100% sure you have AT LEAST 730 days of residency within the last five years on the day IRCC receives your application. If you are not 100% sure of the calculation, wait a few days. We do not have the exact dates of your travel and cannot tell you if you have enough days to apply today. Again, best to wait if you are not 100% sure. The costs of making a mistake on this are high.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015

I do not wish to do your math for you because it is your life and your responsibility. You should also check the regs and requirements for yourself.

How it works: up to the anniversary of landing (and if you are in Canada), you can include the days from now to the fifth anniversary of landing. (Or conversely if you have been out of Canada less than 1095 days since landing). [Those days are 'included' for the purposes of calculating residency obligation, i.e. benefit of doubt that you will be in Canada for those days.]

BUT: I actually concur with @scylla above in the conclusion - if it is literally ~a week or two until you will have enough days to meet the 730 days (without benefit of the days remaining until October 22), it is FAR more prudent to just wait a few weeks, including a bit extra. You don't want to be off by a day for some minor reason.

The consequences of getting it wrong, even through an inadvertent error, are quite serious, so take the extra time and check your application carefully. Note also that cases that are 'close' (and eg it doesn't seem clear sponsor is residing in Canada) might get extra scrutiny and take longer.

Reactions: scylla