+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Family Sponsorship (PGP) - E-petition to the House of Commons - 2023

LolaPM

Aug 14, 2022
Hi everyone,

I wanted to share the petition to the Minister of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship to improve the Family Sponsorship (PGP) program: https://petitions.ourcommons.ca/en/Petition/Details?Petition=e-4385. I already received the support from the Member of Parliament, and now the petition needs to collect 500 signatures to be presented at the House of Commons.

I would be very grateful if you could sign it and share with your friends and on socials.

Thank you,

Lola

AlbUniStudent2020

Sep 5, 2020
Hi everyone,

I wanted to share the petition to the Minister of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship to improve the Family Sponsorship (PGP) program: https://petitions.ourcommons.ca/en/Petition/Details?Petition=e-4385. I already received the support from the Member of Parliament, and now the petition needs to collect 500 signatures to be presented at the House of Commons.

I would be very grateful if you could sign it and share with your friends and on socials.

Thank you,

Lola
Signed! Thank you for creating this petition, I really hope they open the interest to sponsor this year...

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi everyone,

Thank you,

Lola
There have been so many petitions like this. Happens almost every year and always sponsored by a Jennie Kwan. People hated the lottery and then when IRCC changed it people wanted the lottery back. The newest system of doing the lottery from EOI pool from 2020 prioritizes those who had qualified for PGP for longer than 3 years. I wouldn’t be surprised to see ongoing attempts to prioritize people who have waited the longest to sponsor their parents. Most counties with medicare don’t allow any parent sponsorship with access to healthcare and with a vey low income requirement given the actual cost of living. The fact the Canada allows any parent sponsorship with access to public healthcare is pretty amazing. Canada has an ageing population and uses immigration to try to counteract it’s ageing population. Allowing everyone to sponsor their parents would add to the ageing population because most families aren’t having 4+ kids. Raising the cap on PGP is just not realistic given the lack of healthcare resources especially for seniors. The caps are already planned to increase every year. Most in the healthcare system will tell you we can’t care for the current seniors and it doesn’t make sense to add more seniors given that the shortages and costs are only expected to get much worse over time. Millions in Canada don’t have GPs, waitlists for a LTC bed can take years and many facilities are closing further decreasing the amount of beds. The Homecare system is also severely underfunded. The income required to sponsor a parent is so low that I’m not sure how families would be able to afford to pay for things that are not covered by provincial plans (even basics like a wheelchair, incontinence supplies, hearing aids, etc.) or a bed fee in LTC for their parent during the first 20 years (10 years in Quebec). Parent sponsorship was never guaranteed especially within a certain timeframe and I wish Canada would be upfront with everyone looking to immigrate. The liberals have already raised the PGP quotas significantly while our healthcare system is in crisis. The reality is that is is low priority because most parents never pay taxes but have access to free healthcare, OAS/GIS after 10 years, etc. The length of visit under a supervisa has recently been increased to 5 years as a bit of a compromise. Go ahead with the petition but wouldn’t expect any of your requests being met.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Hi everyone,

Thank you,

Lola
As mentioned it’s that time of the year for a new petition for the PGP to be basically opened as a free for all .
It’ll be a DOA ( dead on arrival) so wouldn’t get your hopes up

They are VISITING. That’s it . VISITING. They are NOT relocating. They aren’t a citizen nor PR . Just for good measure how about asking for full CPP once they turn 65 ?

A super visa, another option to relocate parents and grandparents to Canada, allows them multiple entries to Canada for ten years, however, they cannot get an open work permit and in general, have no rights.”

Last edited:

BOWPhelp

Jun 26, 2019
I am not sure how true it is that they lottery system prioritizes people who have qualified for it longer. Because I know someone who had just turned into a PR and applied for their parents in 2020 and got an invite to apply in the first draw.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
I am not sure how true it is that they lottery system prioritizes people who have qualified for it longer. Because I know someone who had just turned into a PR and applied for their parents in 2020 and got an invite to apply in the first draw.
For previous draws, there is no priority given to how long people became PRs/citizens.
It's a random draw. But no one knows what's happening in the future.
Since they have been drawing from teh 2020 pool, "priority" had been given for people who were "eligible" since 2020. (but we all know that people enter their interest to sponsor regardless if they are eligible.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
They should be denied. Hopefully someone who didn’t get selected points thos out to someone like Jennie Kwan or sues the government

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
They should be denied. Hopefully someone who didn’t get selected points thos out to someone like Jennie Kwan or sues the government
As long as they meet LICO, they would not be denied. Lots of people work in Canada for a number of years before becoming a PR. It's totally feasible to enter the lottery right after becoming a PR, be selected, and be approved.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
As long as they meet LICO, they would not be denied. Lots of people work in Canada for a number of years before becoming a PR. It's totally feasible to enter the lottery right after becoming a PR, be selected, and be approved.
I assume it was implied that they arrived in Canada as PR and that they only had worked for a year when they applied which is why they didn’t qualify. Given they got selected after two more years they then had the 3 years of NOAs.

LolaPM

Aug 14, 2022
Apologies for dropping off this thread - I was busy collecting the signatures! There are 259 signatures right now, and I need to collect 500 before June 19th, so if you're interested, please sign and share: https://petitions.ourcommons.ca/en/Petition/Details?Petition=e-4385.

To address some comments, first of all, the MP who supported this petition asked for certain verbiage of the asks. I think it's because we need to ask for maximum and receive at least something.

Second, not many parents get sponsored each year to collapse the healthcare system (15,000 in 2022, for example), plus their children also pay taxes, and not all of them have families, so technically, everyone is paying for someone else. Right now, I don't have a family, and I might be paying someone else's healthcare, and that's okay with me because this is how taxes work.

Third, if parents are allowed to work, many of them still would, so they can pay for their own healthcare.

Fourth, there are issues in the healthcare system, but I am sure that the cause is not a few thousands parents who were sponsored by their children to come to Canada. The issues are way deeper than that.

Fifth, just on compassionate grounds, I think it could be easy to say "oh we don't need your parents here", but I and many other people worked very hard to build our lives in Canada and make a better future for our families, we paid taxes, we contributed to the economy, and we deserve a chance to bring our loved ones here. Many parents don't have anyone to take care of them in their home countries, and I don't know if someone commenting against this petition expects us just to leave them there alone. I don't think they would do the same.

I will be more active on this thread moving forward, leave a comment if you have any questions or concerns. Right now, I would really appreciate if you could support and share, of course, if that's something you are interested in.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Compassion?

I’m feeling more compassion for peoples families whose family members died in ER rooms waiting for care . I’m feeling more compassion for families who lost family members that died waiting for ambulances. I’m feeling more compassion for people who’ve been waiting to get medical procedures done , and in some cases , have been waiting for years to get them done . I’m feeling more compassion for the millions of people waiting to get family Doctors . I’m feeling more compassion for those people who have to leave the country to get cancer treatment because in some provinces it’s SO messed up . I’m feeling compassion for those that lay on gurneys for days waiting for a hospital bed to become available. And yea, most of these people have PAID into this system for YEARS, repeat YEARS, decades, with the expectation of treatment when they get sick .

And the “ a few more thousand “ won’t be a burden doesn’t hold water when people are dying . Or people have waited so long for a diagnosis, that what was once was a stage one cancer diagnosis , is now inoperable, and it’s a go home and prepare your affairs.

Compassion because individuals CHOSE , repeat CHOSE, to immigrate to a country and forgot , or didn’t bother to even investigate that mom & dad couldn’t tag along , or plan for their care in their old age when all their kids left for other countries , and NOW pulling the “ compassionate card “ ?
Wish people had thought of their parents as much when they decided to immigrate. It should be a family discussion, not ending up as a petition.
That’s called planning your affairs , it’s not a last minute surprise. It’s a part of life . Everyone will get old , it’s inevitable.

Compassion?

Not so much

Last edited:

Kaibigan

Champion Member
Dec 27, 2020
I'll go on record as endorsing all that has been written by @canuck78 and @Copingwithlife, supra. In particular, the above post of the latter poster is such a storehouse of merit than any attempt to condense or paraphrase would not do it justice.

LolaPM, you said you came to Canada and now you are thinking thus:

... but I and many other people worked very hard to build our lives in Canada and make a better future for our families, we paid taxes, we contributed to the economy, and we deserve a chance to bring our loved ones here. Many parents don't have anyone to take care of them in their home countries, and I don't know if someone commenting against this petition expects us just to leave them there alone. I don't think they would do the same.
Why is it that you "deserve" what you claim? How about many ordinary Canadians, born here, worked here all their lives, paid taxes, contributed to the economy, what do they "deserve" that's in any way equivalent to what you deserve? You say you deserve to have elderly parents and grandparents come join you and receive healthcare and other government benefits. Well, if you deserve that fairly costly added benefit, what goes to those who don't ask for their elderly parents and grandparents to be allowed entry to Canada to start receiving healthcare? I suppose they deserve to see the system more burdened than it is now. Is that correct?

You mentioned elsewhere that employers should be compelled to add parents to any medical benefit plan. I am sure employers and your co-workers won't mind paying increased premiums, because you "deserve" to let them pay more. And, if parents, what about grandparents? What are they? Sub-humans?

You also refer to deserving to bring "loved ones" here. Why stop at parents and grandparents? Surely all "loved ones" count? Aunts, uncles, cousins, etc. I suppose your idea is one of baby steps. Lobby to get what you want with parents and grandparents and, if that succeeds, then build from there.

As for many parents, etc. having no one to care from them at home, that describes the lot of many born here. Many people have no children and, in any event, having children is certainly no guarantee to having a caregiver in one's old age.

Finally, let me ask you, is Canada so out of step with the rest of the world? Do most countries (or even any) permit in this regard what Canada does not? I strongly suspect the answer is no. Canada is already uncommonly generous with its visa programs for parents and grandparents. How about your country of origin? Is it more accommodating in this regard? Based on your username, I have a guess as to your country, and, if I am right, I already know the answer.

In the end, as aptly pointed out by @Copingwithlife, you chose to come here, eyes wide open, knowing the rules. Not much more needs to be said on that score.

Reactions: screech339

LolaPM

Aug 14, 2022
Compassion?

I’m feeling more compassion for peoples families whose family members died in ER rooms waiting for care . I’m feeling more compassion for families who lost family members that died waiting for ambulances. I’m feeling more compassion for people who’ve been waiting to get medical procedures done , and in some cases , have been waiting for years to get them done . I’m feeling more compassion for the millions of people waiting to get family Doctors . I’m feeling more compassion for those people who have to leave the country to get cancer treatment because in some provinces it’s SO messed up . I’m feeling compassion for those that lay on gurneys for days waiting for a hospital bed to become available. And yea, most of these people have PAID into this system for YEARS, repeat YEARS, decades, with the expectation of treatment when they get sick .

And the “ a few more thousand “ won’t be a burden doesn’t hold water when people are dying . Or people have waited so long for a diagnosis, that what was once was a stage one cancer diagnosis , is now inoperable, and it’s a go home and prepare your affairs.

Compassion because individuals CHOSE , repeat CHOSE, to immigrate to a country and forgot , or didn’t bother to even investigate that mom & dad couldn’t tag along , or plan for their care in their old age when all their kids left for other countries , and NOW pulling the “ compassionate card “ ?
Wish people had thought of their parents as much when they decided to immigrate. It should be a family discussion, not ending up as a petition.
That’s called planning your affairs , it’s not a last minute surprise. It’s a part of life . Everyone will get old , it’s inevitable.

Compassion?

Not so much
I also feel compassion for those who can't access healthcare in Canada, but it doesn't seem like parents who are sponsored by their children are causing this. There are variety of reasons why the healthcare in Canada could be in trouble, again, a few thousands of parents who were sponsored by their children are not one of them. If you have statistics on this matter - please, share. I will change my opinion if I see that the whole healthcare system is going down because someone brought over their parents or grandparents. It looks like the casual relationship isn't there.

People choose to immigrate to another country for a variety of reasons, that doesn't mean they have to live alone without their loved ones. We don't choose where we are born, and sometimes we have to immigrate.

Last edited:

fulton1712

Star Member
Jun 27, 2022
Alberta
Category........
Other
Visa Office......
Edmonton
LANDED..........
08-10-2019
Hi everyone,

Thank you,

Lola
Thank you, signed

Reactions: LolaPM

LolaPM

Aug 14, 2022
I'll go on record as endorsing all that has been written by @canuck78 and @Copingwithlife, supra. In particular, the above post of the latter poster is such a storehouse of merit than any attempt to condense or paraphrase would not do it justice.

LolaPM, you said you came to Canada and now you are thinking thus:

Why is it that you "deserve" what you claim? How about many ordinary Canadians, born here, worked here all their lives, paid taxes, contributed to the economy, what do they "deserve" that's in any way equivalent to what you deserve? You say you deserve to have elderly parents and grandparents come join you and receive healthcare and other government benefits. Well, if you deserve that fairly costly added benefit, what goes to those who don't ask for their elderly parents and grandparents to be allowed entry to Canada to start receiving healthcare? I suppose they deserve to see the system more burdened than it is now. Is that correct?

You mentioned elsewhere that employers should be compelled to add parents to any medical benefit plan. I am sure employers and your co-workers won't mind paying increased premiums, because you "deserve" to let them pay more. And, if parents, what about grandparents? What are they? Sub-humans?

You also refer to deserving to bring "loved ones" here. Why stop at parents and grandparents? Surely all "loved ones" count? Aunts, uncles, cousins, etc. I suppose your idea is one of baby steps. Lobby to get what you want with parents and grandparents and, if that succeeds, then build from there.

As for many parents, etc. having no one to care from them at home, that describes the lot of many born here. Many people have no children and, in any event, having children is certainly no guarantee to having a caregiver in one's old age.

Finally, let me ask you, is Canada so out of step with the rest of the world? Do most countries (or even any) permit in this regard what Canada does not? I strongly suspect the answer is no. Canada is already uncommonly generous with its visa programs for parents and grandparents. How about your country of origin? Is it more accommodating in this regard? Based on your username, I have a guess as to your country, and, if I am right, I already know the answer.

In the end, as aptly pointed out by @Copingwithlife, you chose to come here, eyes wide open, knowing the rules. Not much more needs to be said on that score.
I think everyone deserves a chance to reunite with their family. I understand that there are requirements for this and responsibilities - financial and otherwise. If people can meet them, why not give them an opportunity to do so.

As for the employer insurance, I don't really understand why I can add a spouse or a child to my account, but not my parent or sibling. It's also my family, and if I don't have a spouse or a child, I would just pay the same premium and extend the insurance to a parent or a sibling, what's the difference?

And yes, loved ones are who you love, that could be your aunt or brother or uncle or whoever. It's still considered family. It would be nice to be able to choose who you can sponsor with your own money and effort.

From the petition:
  • The Honourable Sean Fraser, Minister of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship, says, "Family reunification is an essential part of Canada's immigration system." Some Parliament members also acknowledged that "reuniting parents and grandparents with their families in Canada provides immense contributions to our communities.";
It sounds like family reunification only enriches communities in Canada.