+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Family sponsorship application transferred to WINNIPEG local

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Damn, I misunderstand this part. so if I submit the fee now would it be too late? because her work permit application is still in progress.
Are you sure that her OWP is still in progress? I thought they returned the application.

If her work permit was expired back in 2020, I think it's too late to restore.
If that's the case, (work permit not really in progress) then she will only get OWP when the inland application is almost complete (which is AIP).

While staying in Canda without status will still allow her application for inland sponsorship to continue, there may be other factors..

May be more experience members can comment here.

a62520

Apr 3, 2020
Are you sure that her OWP is still in progress? I thought they returned the application.

If her work permit was expired back in 2020, I think it's too late to restore.
If that's the case, (work permit not really in progress) then she will only get OWP when the inland application is almost complete (which is AIP).

While staying in Canda without status will still allow her application for inland sponsorship to continue, there may be other factors..

May be more experience members can comment here.
Thank you for the help, they return the work permit application individually (I summited the WP application along with the PR application in April 2020) on November 2020 and I figured out what was going on and resubmitted the next day to Edmonton along with the letter they sent me within the return package. Her work permit was expired on June 2020.

after they received the resubmission, they did send me a letter saying:
"As a foreign National in Canada who currently does not have valid temporary resident status, you are not eligible to apply for an open work permit until such time as you receive confirmation that your application for Permanent residence will be processed from within Canada. your application for an open work permit will be considered at the same time as your application for permanent residence and if the latter is accepted, the open work permit will be issued to you."

That is where I was confused. Didn't mention about the restoration. and now I complete my eligibility as being an sponsor, and than the file transferred to Winnipeg, so does this fit the part that "your application for an open work permit will be considered at the same time as your application for permanent residence and if the latter is accepted, the open work permit will be issued to you"?

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Thank you for the help, they return the work permit application individually (I summited the WP application along with the PR application in April 2020) on November 2020 and I figured out what was going on and resubmitted the next day to Edmonton along with the letter they sent me within the return package. Her work permit was expired on June 2020.

after they received the resubmission, they did send me a letter saying:
"As a foreign National in Canada who currently does not have valid temporary resident status, you are not eligible to apply for an open work permit until such time as you receive confirmation that your application for Permanent residence will be processed from within Canada. your application for an open work permit will be considered at the same time as your application for permanent residence and if the latter is accepted, the open work permit will be issued to you."

That is where I was confused. Didn't mention about the restoration. and now I complete my eligibility as being an sponsor, and than the file transferred to Winnipeg, so does this fit the part that "your application for an open work permit will be considered at the same time as your application for permanent residence and if the latter is accepted, the open work permit will be issued to you"?
So what happened was that she was out of status when the work permit was returned. The 2nd time you sent, since you did nothing about restoration, they cannot accept the work permit application because she was out of status.

So it doesn't look like a restoration was applied.

It's OK to apply inland without a legal status, and sounds like why your application is transferred to local office.

They will consider issuing an open work permit when the application reach AIP which is usually very close to COPR (completed PR application with landing inforamtion) for inland.
(that's what the last question you qouted means)

a62520

Apr 3, 2020
So what happened was that she was out of status when the work permit was returned. The 2nd time you sent, since you did nothing about restoration, they cannot accept the work permit application because she was out of status.

So it doesn't look like a restoration was applied.

It's OK to apply inland without a legal status, and sounds like why your application is transferred to local office.

They will consider issuing an open work permit when the application reach AIP which is usually very close to COPR (completed PR application with landing inforamtion) for inland.
(that's what the last question you qouted means)
So what if I pay the restoration fee and send it to them in webform, would it be helpful on her applications?

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
So what if I pay the restoration fee and send it to them in webform, would it be helpful on her applications?
Only would be possible if it was within 90 days of her work permit expiry... ( June 2020 so... Sep/Oct 2020...)
Oh! I just found this:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/restoration-extension-trv.html#more

This is new for COVID. Take a look to see if that applies to her situration and may be you can still restore her status as visitor.

a62520

Apr 3, 2020
Only would be possible if it was within 90 days of her work permit expiry... ( June 2020 so... Sep/Oct 2020...)
Oh! I just found this:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/restoration-extension-trv.html#more

This is new for COVID. Take a look to see if that applies to her situration and may be you can still restore her status as visitor.
Thank you very much for the information, her PGWP was expired June 2020, which fits the part that she can apply for an open work permit up to 18 months and restoration can be done any time before July 2021 during covid. Thank you very much.

Reactions: Spacelands2

Spacelands2

May 26, 2021
It did not mention about eligibility but it mention about further assessment.

Here is the original content in the letter:

"Please be advised that your application has been transferred to Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada office in Winnipeg for further assessment. The Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada office ,ay contact you for an interview or to seek additional information or clarification. that office will make a final decision on your APR and communicate to you its decision."

Hello i got the same email today my application was received august 21.. and i got my S.A May 13th . i was waiting for AIP but i was surprised to get my transferred to Winnipeg for further assessment , have you gotten any information or update ....keep me posted

Spacelands2

May 26, 2021
Thank you very much for the information, her PGWP was expired June 2020, which fits the part that she can apply for an open work permit up to 18 months and restoration can be done any time before July 2021 during covid. Thank you very much.
Hello did you get any updates yet from Winnipeg office please kindly keep me update cos we're in same situation.