+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Family Sponsorship and Borrowing abilities

VancouverGal

Sep 16, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello guys :)

Does anyone know if sponsoring your family will affect your borrowing capacity? My husband and I are planning to sponsor both of my parents, but we are a bit concerned if that will tie us up for good in terms of buying a bigger house in future and borrowing money. Or sponsorship does not affect this?

Thanks a bunch!

Kayaker

Aug 4, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-02-2014
AOR Received.
04-03-2014
Med's Done....
08-11-2013
VISA ISSUED...
29-09-2014
LANDED..........
11-10-2014
Sponsorship doesn't affect borrowing money from the bank. The bank will not be interested in knowing anything about you sponsoring your parents for PR, and CIC doesn't care if you have a mortgage or loan.

All you cannot do is go on welfare or declare bankruptcy.

VancouverGal

Sep 16, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Kayaker said:
Sponsorship doesn't affect borrowing money from the bank. The bank will not be interested in knowing anything about you sponsoring your parents for PR, and CIC doesn't care if you have a mortgage or loan.

Thank you, Kayaker! ;)

BCKev

Star Member
Nov 20, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa/Kiev
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-01-2010
Doc's Request.
02-08-2013
AOR Received.
13-12-2013
File Transfer...
06-02-2014
Med's Request
26-06-2014
Med's Done....
25-07-2014
Passport Req..
25-09-2014
VISA ISSUED...
03-10-2014
LANDED..........
22-11-2014
Kayaker said:

Agreed. I have sponsored various people over the years and a bank has never mentioned the subject.

VancouverGal

Sep 16, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
BCKev said:
Agreed. I have sponsored various people over the years and a bank has never mentioned the subject.
Thank you, BCKev :) from your past experience and with the new laws now that they are only releasing certain # of applications, was it hard to get into the system? Do you literally need to act the minute they open the program? Also where would you see on their website that the program is re-opened? Thanks a lot!

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
VancouverGal said:
Thank you, BCKev :) from your past experience and with the new laws now that they are only releasing certain # of applications, was it hard to get into the system? Do you literally need to act the minute they open the program? Also where would you see on their website that the program is re-opened? Thanks a lot!
For January 2014 parents sponsorship program, the quota was reached in about 3 weeks. With many people missing the quota and now waiting to re-apply, and all the added people that now qualify based on 3-years income that didn't qualify last time... i wouldn't be surprised if the 2015 quota fills up in 1 week or so.

Be prepared to apply on January 2nd, 2015. So have all your documents ready to go.

BCKev

Star Member
Nov 20, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa/Kiev
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-01-2010
Doc's Request.
02-08-2013
AOR Received.
13-12-2013
File Transfer...
06-02-2014
Med's Request
26-06-2014
Med's Done....
25-07-2014
Passport Req..
25-09-2014
VISA ISSUED...
03-10-2014
LANDED..........
22-11-2014
VancouverGal said:
I couldn't say - I don't have any direct experience with a quota system. Sounds like Rob_TO has some good information on how quickly the quota was filled this year.

I would be prepared and have as many of the necessary documents put together. I am sure it will be a hot topic for discussion on this forum when the quota opens again, presumably in January.

Gotta run now. Lots to do now. Got some great news today: received an email saying that they finished processing my mother in law's application and we need to get her passport to the embassy to have the visa put inside. Five years of waiting, and finally the end is in sight. :D

VancouverGal

Sep 16, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
BCKev said:
I couldn't say - I don't have any direct experience with a quota system. Sounds like Rob_TO has some good information on how quickly the quota was filled this year.

I would be prepared and have as many of the necessary documents put together. I am sure it will be a hot topic for discussion on this forum when the quota opens again, presumably in January.

Gotta run now. Lots to do now. Got some great news today: received an email saying that they finished processing my mother in law's application and we need to get her passport to the embassy to have the visa put inside. Five years of waiting, and finally the end is in sight. :D
Congrats, BCKev!!!! :D hopefully
I can say same about my parents in a few years ;)

Thank you, Rob_TO!!! ;D

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Thanks so much! So mortgage cannot be counted as a loan or social assistance? It is very confusing :)
Mortgage is a loan. I don't think there is any rule about not having any personal loan. If there is a rule that people with mortgage cannot sponsor their parents, most people will disqualify. How would mortgage be counted as social assistnace? You don't get anything from the government with a mortgage. You are paying it off with your own earnings.

Anyway. Yes, mortgage is not social assistnace and you can sponsor your parents if you meet other requirements. (LICO....etc)

Parisuzy

Feb 22, 2020
Mortgage is a loan. I don't think there is any rule about not having any personal loan. If there is a rule that people with mortgage cannot sponsor their parents, most people will disqualify. How would mortgage be counted as social assistnace? You don't get anything from the government with a mortgage. You are paying it off with your own earnings.

Anyway. Yes, mortgage is not social assistnace and you can sponsor your parents if you meet other requirements. (LICO....etc)
Thank you so much for your advice and help, much appreciated!

Reactions: YVR123