+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Family Reunification with Immediate Family - only have COPR.

a6prasad

May 3, 2019
This is the situation.

I am a permanent resident of Canada. Already in Canada. I have already sent my photos for PR card, and I am waiting to receive it. My mom is scheduled to travel. Since, I am an immediate family member to her, she didn't apply for authorization form. Will she able to show my COPR and proof of relationship at the border. Will there be any issue? Will they insist on PR card? (I'm still waiting for mine to arrive). Will the border official ask her any other questions? She is travelling on Visit Visa.

mr.preetsingh

VIP Member
Oct 26, 2017
Canada
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
14-04-2018
Doc's Request.
NA
Nomination.....
NA
AOR Received.
14-04-2018
IELTS Request
NA
File Transfer...
NA
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
07-04-2018
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
19-06-2018
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2018
LANDED..........
06-09-2018
This is the situation.

I am a permanent resident of Canada. Already in Canada. I have already sent my photos for PR card, and I am waiting to receive it. My mom is scheduled to travel. Since, I am an immediate family member to her, she didn't apply for authorization form. Will she able to show my COPR and proof of relationship at the border. Will there be any issue? Will they insist on PR card? (I'm still waiting for mine to arrive). Will the border official ask her any other questions? She is travelling on Visit Visa.
As per the Current Guidelines, a PRTD can work for you

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5529-applying-permanent-resident-travel-document.html#5529E6

and for relationship, your Birth Certificate and her Passport can work.

The officer can ask for more documents, so until you have PRTD, you should avoid travel. You do not want your Mother stranded at Airports.

a6prasad

May 3, 2019
As per the Current Guidelines, a PRTD can work for you

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5529-applying-permanent-resident-travel-document.html#5529E6

and for relationship, your Birth Certificate and her Passport can work.

The officer can ask for more documents, so until you have PRTD, you should avoid travel. You do not want your Mother stranded at Airports.
Why do I need ptrd? I didn’t travel out of the country? My COPR clearly says I am a permanent resident. I have also applied for a new SIN with it and signed up to be a custodian for my brother (for which you need to be a permanent resident). Why is the COPR not enough? It’s not my fault the ircc office takes so long to print a out a PR card and send it to me?

mr.preetsingh

VIP Member
Oct 26, 2017
Canada
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
14-04-2018
Doc's Request.
NA
Nomination.....
NA
AOR Received.
14-04-2018
IELTS Request
NA
File Transfer...
NA
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
07-04-2018
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
19-06-2018
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2018
LANDED..........
06-09-2018
Why do I need ptrd? I didn’t travel out of the country? My COPR clearly says I am a permanent resident. I have also applied for a new SIN with it and signed up to be a custodian for my brother (for which you need to be a permanent resident). Why is the COPR not enough? It’s not my fault the ircc office takes so long to print a out a PR card and send it to me?
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/visitors/immediate-family.html#how-citizens-prs

This link clearly states the documents required for "Immediate Family Members" as a proof.

You should have booked the flights after reading the guidelines... IRCC is processing thousands of applications.

The current processing time for PR cards is 43 days.
If you have been waiting for more than 43 days, submit a webform or call IRCC and check the status on your application.

a6prasad

May 3, 2019
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/visitors/immediate-family.html#how-citizens-prs

This link clearly states the documents required for "Immediate Family Members" as a proof.

You should have booked the flights after reading the guidelines... IRCC is processing thousands of applications.

The current processing time for PR cards is 43 days.
If you have been waiting for more than 43 days, submit a webform or call IRCC and check the status on your application.
I didn’t get access to the portal. I have been waiting since April for my card. I had to physically mail in my copies. For all intents and purposes the COPR letter states that I’m a permanent resident and the validity of the COPR is 1 year since issuance. Why is that not enough. So basically if you’re unlucky and you don’t get your PR card you have to wait unnecessarily longer? That doesn’t make sense.

I have used my COPR as PR proof for other activities, without any hitch whatsoever. I also have proof that I have already submitted my photos.

mr.preetsingh

VIP Member
Oct 26, 2017
Canada
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
14-04-2018
Doc's Request.
NA
Nomination.....
NA
AOR Received.
14-04-2018
IELTS Request
NA
File Transfer...
NA
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
07-04-2018
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
19-06-2018
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2018
LANDED..........
06-09-2018
I didn’t get access to the portal. I have been waiting since April for my card. I had to physically mail in my copies. For all intents and purposes the COPR letter states that I’m a permanent resident and the validity of the COPR is 1 year since issuance. Why is that not enough. So basically if you’re unlucky and you don’t get your PR card you have to wait unnecessarily longer? That doesn’t make sense.

I have used my COPR as PR proof for other activities, without any hitch whatsoever. I also have proof that I have already submitted my photos.
COPR is valid for SIN and other things in Canada. However at the Airport, the Immigration Officers use the COPR only for once.

You can try using it at the Airport, the immigration officer will have the last word on this.

I would avoid travel under such conditions, Better be prepared than feel sad later...

You can link your PR card application online. : https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/account/link-paper-online.html

Call IRCC and talk to an agent. You can ask this question, and they may give you more details.

a6prasad

May 3, 2019
COPR is valid for SIN and other things in Canada. However at the Airport, the Immigration Officers use the COPR only for once.

You can try using it at the Airport, the immigration officer will have the last word on this.

I would avoid travel under such conditions, Better be prepared than feel sad later...

You can link your PR card application online. : https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/account/link-paper-online.html

Call IRCC and talk to an agent. You can ask this question, and they may give you more details.
Well, if you think of it logically, COPR is your one valid proof of PR until you get the card. I’ve already submitted my photos, have proof of it. I can’t link the application due to various errors.
For simply validating whether a said individual is a PR or not isn’t COPR enough then? It has all the relevant information and timeframe of validity.

mr.preetsingh

VIP Member
Oct 26, 2017
Canada
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
14-04-2018
Doc's Request.
NA
Nomination.....
NA
AOR Received.
14-04-2018
IELTS Request
NA
File Transfer...
NA
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
07-04-2018
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
19-06-2018
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2018
LANDED..........
06-09-2018
Well, if you think of it logically, COPR is your one valid proof of PR until you get the card. I’ve already submitted my photos, have proof of it. I can’t link the application due to various errors.
For simply validating whether a said individual is a PR or not isn’t COPR enough then? It has all the relevant information and timeframe of validity.
IRCC is governing over set laws/regulations set by Immigration Department.
So, whatever the process is, we have to follow. Try talking to IRCC in morning, you may get a way out of it.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

This isn’t about the immigration officers at the airport it’s about whether the airline in the mother’s home country will accept the COPR as proof that their child is a PR and let her board the plane.

a6prasad

May 3, 2019
This isn’t about the immigration officers at the airport it’s about whether the airline in the mother’s home country will accept the COPR as proof that their child is a PR and let her board the plane.
Mother has reached safe and sound. All the answers above are WRONG. COPR was accepted with no questions. No issue whatsoever. Simple explanation given to missing PR card - "Pandemic, son is still waiting for it"

None of the above answers are accurate. Please don't try to confuse during this time. It is already nerve-wracking.

In short, no issues, very very smooth process. Hopefully this thread will be useful to others.

Reactions: sanyinmon

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Mother has reached safe and sound. All the answers above are WRONG. COPR was accepted with no questions. No issue whatsoever. Simple explanation given to missing PR card - "Pandemic, son is still waiting for it"

None of the above answers are accurate. Please don't try to confuse during this time. It is already nerve-wracking.

In short, no issues, very very smooth process. Hopefully this thread will be useful to others.
I’m glad your mother was able to travel safely but what I said wasn’t actually incorrect because I’ve seen examples on the forum of this exact situation and others have difficulty proving they meet the travel restrictions for other reasons. I never said that your mother was guaranteed to be refused. I said that it is up to the airline to determine who meets travel restrictions and a PR card is what they are primarily looking for as proof of PR. Some airlines are very picky and cautious and some are not. Your mother was asked to show proof of the PR card and when she was unable to do so the employee just accepted it. In other cases the airline have either denied entry or called IRCC to confirm that a person meets the travel restrictions. Unfortunately that is not always possible which is why my original suggestion was to leave plenty of time in case the airline wants to verify whether your mother meets the travel restrictions.

a6prasad

May 3, 2019
@canuck78 I was actually referring to @mr.preetsingh 's comments and not yours :). Your comments were actually accurate that's why I didn't comment on the other thread. The airline officials are responsible for checking documents prior to person boarding flight lest they're on the hook for the return flight. Come in sufficiently early, and they'll be to check twice/thrice with higher officials.

The comments on this thread ask to apply for a Permanent Resident Travel Document and all that, which is not needed. It also clearly implies COPR is not a valid document. both of which aren't the case.

mr.preetsingh

VIP Member
Oct 26, 2017
Canada
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
14-04-2018
Doc's Request.
NA
Nomination.....
NA
AOR Received.
14-04-2018
IELTS Request
NA
File Transfer...
NA
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
07-04-2018
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
19-06-2018
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2018
LANDED..........
06-09-2018
@canuck78 I was actually referring to @mr.preetsingh 's comments and not yours :). Your comments were actually accurate that's why I didn't comment on the other thread. The airline officials are responsible for checking documents prior to person boarding flight lest they're on the hook for the return flight. Come in sufficiently early, and they'll be to check twice/thrice with higher officials.

The comments on this thread ask to apply for a Permanent Resident Travel Document and all that, which is not needed. It also clearly implies COPR is not a valid document. both of which aren't the case.
Lucky you... This is not a common practice and should not be followed. If they do not approve the next traveler, your post on Canadavisa forums can not be used as a reference.

The next immigration officer will not give an exemption.

And talking about my comments, I posted what is mentioned on canada.ca website. I am not making up things here...

a6prasad

May 3, 2019
Lucky you... This is not a common practice and should not be followed. If they do not approve the next traveler, your post on Canadavisa forums can not be used as a reference.

The next immigration officer will not give an exemption.

And talking about my comments, I posted what is mentioned on canada.ca website. I am not making up things here...
"should not be followed"

Well I would argue that this could be interpreted in many different ways. If the border official followed it, does that mean we at CanadaVisa know more than the border official? I understand your point, the literature on the website state one thing. But, you have to remember that, normal processing time for Permanent Resident Card is around 6 weeks. With pandemic it is now 120 days (if you applied in March by physical mail). Moreover, some people didn't get portal invitation.

FWIW, there were several other parents of new PRs, all of whom only had COPR. All they did was check the validity of the COPR and ask why the PR card hasn't arrived yet. You give them the explanation that it was a pandemic, and they were satisfied with it. I even gave a detailed letter of explanation to my mom, with the Canada post tracking number that send the pictures to the Etobicoke office. They have all the other information, UCI, Application Number etc.

mr.preetsingh

VIP Member
Oct 26, 2017
Canada
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
14-04-2018
Doc's Request.
NA
Nomination.....
NA
AOR Received.
14-04-2018
IELTS Request
NA
File Transfer...
NA
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
07-04-2018
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
19-06-2018
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2018
LANDED..........
06-09-2018
"should not be followed"

Well I would argue that this could be interpreted in many different ways. If the border official followed it, does that mean we at CanadaVisa know more than the border official? I understand your point, the literature on the website state one thing. But, you have to remember that, normal processing time for Permanent Resident Card is around 6 weeks. With pandemic it is now 120 days (if you applied in March by physical mail). Moreover, some people didn't get portal invitation.

FWIW, there were several other parents of new PRs, all of whom only had COPR. All they did was check the validity of the COPR and ask why the PR card hasn't arrived yet. You give them the explanation that it was a pandemic, and they were satisfied with it. I even gave a detailed letter of explanation to my mom, with the Canada post tracking number that send the pictures to the Etobicoke office. They have all the other information, UCI, Application Number etc.
Its not like, you can go and ask at the airport what they will accept.

Someone is travelling from India and landed at Canadian Airport, and during immigration, if they deny entry. What will they do?

You should have heard about Indian students stuck at Serbia Airport in July. When we answer here at Canada Visa Forums, We try to answer from the documentation available on Canada.ca. We are not making it ourselves. The experience can be shared, but can't be practiced as it has a number of variables which nobody knows.

I wish you all the best for your PR card and I am very glad that your mother crossed immigrations without any issues.