+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Family reunification - immediate family member - only COPR

a6prasad

May 3, 2019
This is the situation.

I am a permanent resident of Canada. Already in Canada. I have already sent my photos for PR card, and I am waiting to receive it. My mom is scheduled to travel. Since, I am an immediate family member to her, she didn't apply for authorization form. Will she able to show my COPR and proof of relationship at the border. Will there be any issue? Will they insist on PR card? (I'm still waiting for mine to arrive). Will the border official ask her any other questions? She is travelling on visit visa.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
This is the situation.

I am a permanent resident of Canada. Already in Canada. I have already sent my photos for PR card, and I am waiting to receive it. My mom is scheduled to travel. Since, I am an immediate family member to her, she didn't apply for authorization form. Will she able to show my COPR and proof of relationship at the border. Will there be any issue? Will they insist on PR card? (I'm still waiting for mine to arrive). Will the border official ask her any other questions? She is travelling on visit visa.
Is she flying or going to a land border?

a6prasad

May 3, 2019
The airline check-in agents are the ones who check whether you can fly so a PR card will be what they are looking for. Is she flying before September 7?
Before September 7. But I have a COPR which clearly states that I am a permanent resident of Canada. Why is that not sufficient. It’s not my fault IRCC takes so long to issue a simple PR card.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Before September 7. But I have a COPR which clearly states that I am a permanent resident of Canada. Why is that not sufficient. It’s not my fault IRCC takes so long to issue a simple PR card.
The airlines are the ones who check these things so they are trained to look for certain documents. I’m not sure whether they will have a big issue with presenting a COPR rather than the PR card plus proof that she is your mother. If there are any doubts the airline usually tries to reach someone at IRCC but that isn’t always possible.

a6prasad

May 3, 2019
The airlines are the ones who check these things so they are trained to look for certain documents. I’m not sure whether they will have a big issue with presenting a COPR rather than the PR card plus proof that she is your mother. If there are any doubts the airline usually tries to reach someone at IRCC but that isn’t always possible.
but isn’t the Canadian official at the airport(the one who clears you for immigration) the most important. Since that person will check all your documents.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
but isn’t the Canadian official at the airport(the one who clears you for immigration) the most important. Since that person will check all your documents.
There isn’t a Canadian official at foreign airports. You need to prove that you are the parent of a PR to board your flight to Canada.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I meant at the Canadian airport.
Your mother needs to show the documents to board the plane. If someone can’t show that they meet they qualify to fly the airline will not let them board the flight. I think you misunderstood who you need to be showing the documents to.

a6prasad

May 3, 2019
Your mother needs to show the documents to board the plane. If someone can’t show that they meet they qualify to fly the airline will not let them board the flight. I think you misunderstood who you need to be showing the documents to.
What if she’s able to board the plane okay. Once she arrives in Canada she still has to clear border officials examination. They make the final decision don’t they?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
What if she’s able to board the plane okay. Once she arrives in Canada she still has to clear border officials examination. They make the final decision don’t they?
Yes you can also be denied entry to Canada at the airport but that is usually related to concerns that you won’t leave Canada, you don’t have the funds to support yourself in Canada, etc.

People have been denied boarding if they can’t prove that they are authorized to travel to Canada because airlines are financially responsible to return travellers who have been denied entry to Canada. For that reason they tend to be cautious and ensure that travellers meet the travel restrictions before allowing them to board a plane. Looks like your mother already has a flight booked so she doesn’t have the option to show your PR card. Would suggest she arrive at the airport with plenty of time and not at the last minute in case the airline does want to try and call IRCC and verify your status in Canada and that your mother is approved to fly.