+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Family PR status maintenance

Thinkin

Star Member
Jan 4, 2016
My wife and I have obtained PR status in Canada, but both of us are currently outside Canada. Suppose only one of us move to Canada in time to maintain the 2 year in Canada out of 5 year obligation, would the other person be allowed entry into Canada at a later time even if the residency obligation is not met at that time since spouse in Canada?

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Thinkin said:
My wife and I have obtained PR status in Canada, but both of us are currently outside Canada. Suppose only one of us move to Canada in time to maintain the 2 year in Canada out of 5 year obligation, would the other person be allowed entry into Canada at a later time even if the residency obligation is not met at that time since spouse in Canada?
maintaining RO is an individuals responsibility not a family one whether spouse is in Canada or not.

So whilst your wife as a PR would be allowed into the country if at the time of entry CBSA determine she has not met residency she could be reported which could eventually of course lead to PR being revoked. Having a valid in date PR card helps but always that risk and if having failed RO she would need to stay for 2 years without leaving to reset. It is just a matter of luck if reported or not, many people have no problems but no way to predict.

If at some point the PR card expires whilst out of the country still having not met RO then things get more complicated as she would need a PRTD if travelling by air. Just applying for one would highlight she at that time had not met residency possibly starting the process to revoke, again matter of luck based on circumstances at the time.

betty1

Star Member
Mar 19, 2014
I guess I understood what author meant.

Lets assume they still have 3 years till RP is expired. His wife is coming back to Canada to leave there 2 years, in order to be able to renew her card later on. While he is not able to accompany her.

Will she be able to renew her card and get citizenship later, without him? Will she be able to sponsor him later on, as a citizen?

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
betty1 said:
I guess I understood what author meant.

Lets assume they still have 3 years till RP is expired. His wife is coming back to Canada to leave there 2 years, in order to be able to renew her card later on. While he is not able to accompany her.

Will she be able to renew her card and get citizenship later, without him? Will she be able to sponsor him later on, as a citizen?
Providing the wife meets the live in Canada for an accumulated 2 years in any 5 years the wife can renew her PR card.

If the wife subsequently also then meets the citizenship requirements of actually residing in the country then sure she could sponsor her husband same as she could in fact sponsor him again if she continues to be a PR.

Just to clarify that PR cards expire , being a PR never expires and can only be renounced by the holder or revoked by immigration, for example in failing to meet residency. So the husband if failing to meet residency would need to renounce or get revoked for the wife to sponsor at some later date and of course as with anything regarding immigration there is no guarantee would succeed in future so there is always a risk in such a plan.

Thinkin

Star Member
Jan 4, 2016
Bs65 said:
maintaining RO is an individuals responsibility not a family one whether spouse is in Canada or not.

So whilst your wife as a PR would be allowed into the country if at the time of entry CBSA determine she has not met residency she could be reported which could eventually of course lead to PR being revoked. Having a valid in date PR card helps but always that risk and if having failed RO she would need to stay for 2 years without leaving to reset. It is just a matter of luck if reported or not, many people have no problems but no way to predict.

If at some point the PR card expires whilst out of the country still having not met RO then things get more complicated as she would need a PRTD if travelling by air. Just applying for one would highlight she at that time had not met residency possibly starting the process to revoke, again matter of luck based on circumstances at the time.
Assume I go to Canada and my wife does not come with me. So I maintain the PR status. If my wife's PR gets revoked can I sponsor her again, and if so should I wait for 2 years to do that? Also, can she come visit me in visitor's visa?