+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Family not accompanying me to Canada

jfnguyen

Sep 4, 2007
If my parents nor sister are accompanying me to Canada, do they all need to obtain police certificates too? (i.e. fingerprints, etc.)

I know they do have to do medical, but just wanted to confirm background checks too.

Thanks.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

jfnguyen said:
If my parents nor sister are accompanying me to Canada, do they all need to obtain police certificates too? (i.e. fingerprints, etc.)

I know they do have to do medical, but just wanted to confirm background checks too.

Thanks.
1. If your parents and siblings are not accompanying you, they don't do medicals, they don't get police certificates, there is no background check. I think you should read the guides over again. Your parents and siblings are listed on the IMM 5406 only.

PMM

jfnguyen

Sep 4, 2007
On the paperwork (guide) that I have obtained, it says whether or not your family members are accompanying me to Canada, they must undergo and pass a medical exam as well as undergo a background check.

This is why I'm confused. My paperwork says one thing, and then I hear another. Do you know for a fact they don't have to do either? Has this changed recently? Maybe my paperwork I have is out of date?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

jfnguyen said:
On the paperwork (guide) that I have obtained, it says whether or not your family members are accompanying me to Canada, they must undergo and pass a medical exam as well as undergo a background check.

This is why I'm confused. My paperwork says one thing, and then I hear another. Do you know for a fact they don't have to do either? Has this changed recently? Maybe my paperwork I have is out of date?
What category are you applying? If it is as a spouse, then your parents and siblings aren't examined, you just list them on the IMM 5406. If you applying as a dependent of your parents application (ie your parents are being sponsored) then yes everyone included in the application has to have medicals, criminal records check and background. You are probably reading the wrong instruction guide.

PMM

jfnguyen

Sep 4, 2007
No, my parents and sister are not planning on coming to Canada later, but this is what the instructions say, so I should probably go by those.

jfnguyen

Sep 4, 2007
I've just gotten confirmation that my parents nor sibling need to do background check or medical since they are not accompanying me and I am over age 18.

So just to confirm once again, when the instructions say "Family Members age 18 & over must complete..." this means if I have children, not my parents and sibling.

Does this mean they do not have to fill out the Background Declaration, Additional Family Information forms?

The wording in the guides can be confusing. I think it means one thing, but it really means something else.

Please help. Thank you!

PRS

Apr 3, 2006
I know what you mean about being a bit confusing. I just finished filling out all that paperwork. You are the only one who needs to fill those forms out.

Frustrated Canadian

Oct 30, 2007
I also have a similar question. When applying for Perm Residence my husband, the principal applicant, included his daughter (dependent under the age of 22 without children of her own). She completed a medical and that is all the application asked for. Now she has received a letter from the High Commission in Jamaica that has forms in it titled " Application for Permanent Residence In-Canada" and a Schedule 1 - Background Declaration also a third form was included asking for additional family information????

She is not applying to come to Canada and the forms and questions seemed to be geared that way!

Help!