+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Family Member Proof of Status

fitter_happier

Star Member
Aug 14, 2016
Hello all.

I am applying through Express Entry and currently on a 2 Year work Permit. I qualify for Canadian Experience Class. One of the required documents is "Family Member Proof of Status"

The description is;

"You must provide a copy of your family member’s Canadian Citizenship or Canadian immigration status document (e.g. Canadian passport, Permanent Resident Card, Study Permit, or Work Permit). Please provide a copy of both sides of the document."

When I initially applied I had mentioned that I have an aunt and uncle as well as Canadian born Cousins who live here in Canada.

My aunt got her Citizenship a few years ago. My uncle has lived in Canada his whole life as well as my cousins.

I just want to check what I need to provide here. I am thinking maybe a scanned copy of my aunts Citizenship document will suffice?

aru_nj

Oct 7, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
NEW Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-08-2015
Doc's Request.
26-08-2015
AOR Received.
17-08-2015
Passport Req..
14-01-2016
VISA ISSUED...
29-01-2016
LANDED..........
09-05-2016
fitter_happier said:
Hello all.

I am applying through Express Entry and currently on a 2 Year work Permit. I qualify for Canadian Experience Class. One of the required documents is "Family Member Proof of Status"

The description is;

"You must provide a copy of your family member’s Canadian Citizenship or Canadian immigration status document (e.g. Canadian passport, Permanent Resident Card, Study Permit, or Work Permit). Please provide a copy of both sides of the document."

When I initially applied I had mentioned that I have an aunt and uncle as well as Canadian born Cousins who live here in Canada.

My aunt got her Citizenship a few years ago. My uncle has lived in Canada his whole life as well as my cousins.

I just want to check what I need to provide here. I am thinking maybe a scanned copy of my aunts Citizenship document will suffice?
I am sorry if i am wrong. Are we getting any points for relatives in canada.

andremarques19751

Aug 31, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
BC Inland
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
19-08-2016
AOR Received.
21-09-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
File Transfer...
21-09-2016
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
Upfront
aru_nj said:
I am sorry if i am wrong. Are we getting any points for relatives in canada.
Even not receiving points you need to provide the documents that show you are related to the persons you listed in your application. In your case, I guess the canadian passports of each one of them should be enough. Still, I would go further and provide my birth certificate along with your mother's AND aunt's birthday certificate (considering they are sisters), ie, proving your relationship between you and your aunt. But most posts here say this is not a requirement. Good luck!

Stanlee

VIP Member
Jan 29, 2016
fitter_happier said:
Hello all.

The description is;

As per CIC, the documents required are given below (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/perm/express/intake-complete.asp)

Purpose
To validate a claim of, and award points associated with, having a relative in Canada who is a Canadian citizen or permanent resident

Document requirements

- This documentation is required if the applicant indicates that they, or their spouse or common-law partner, have a family member in Canada who is a permanent resident or a Canadian citizen.
- A copy of both sides of the family member's Canadian citizenship document, Canadian birth certificate and/or permanent resident card must be provided.
- Evidence that the family member currently resides in Canada must be provided (a residential lease, mortgage documents, utility bills, etc.).
- The documents should be up to date as of six months prior to submission.
- Proof of the relationship of the applicant or the spouse or common-law partner to the family member must also be provided (e.g., a birth certificate, an official document naming the applicant as a parent, a copy of the inside back cover of the relative’s passport showing the relative’s parents).

Individuals who must submit this documentation
- The principal applicant
- Their spouse or common-law partner

aru_nj

Oct 7, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
NEW Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-08-2015
Doc's Request.
26-08-2015
AOR Received.
17-08-2015
Passport Req..
14-01-2016
VISA ISSUED...
29-01-2016
LANDED..........
09-05-2016
andremarques19751 said:
Even not receiving points you need to provide the documents that show you are related to the persons you listed in your application. In your case, I guess the canadian passports of each one of them should be enough. Still, I would go further and provide my birth certificate along with your mother's AND aunt's birthday certificate (considering they are sisters), ie, proving your relationship between you and your aunt. But most posts here say this is not a requirement. Good luck!
Not really , If we are not getting any points you don't need to declare any relationship. Please check the post above (CIC required docs for Express entry)
More over

Family member means - Father , Mother, Grandfather,grand mother, brother and sister and not uncle, aunty or cousin.

fitter_happier

Star Member
Aug 14, 2016
Thanks guys - I'm still a little unclear. I had listed in my original application I just had an aunt and uncle as well as cousins and then I've been asked to provide the proof. I've read that points only matter under FSWP but not EE. If I don't provide the document then I could always provide a letter of explanation instead right? It wouldn't be difficult for me to get a scanned copy of my aunts Canadian passport for example though.

Stanlee

VIP Member
Jan 29, 2016
fitter_happier said:
Thanks guys - I'm still a little unclear. I had listed in my original application I just had an aunt and uncle as well as cousins and then I've been asked to provide the proof. I've read that points only matter under FSWP but not EE. If I don't provide the document then I could always provide a letter of explanation instead right? It wouldn't be difficult for me to get a scanned copy of my aunts Canadian passport for example though.
If you mention any relatives in Canada, then you need to give proof of their legal status and proof of their residential status as part of your eAPR.

salkhan

Jan 28, 2016
Category........
PNP
AOR Received.
03-12-2016
Med's Done....
08-02-2017
Passport Req..
Not Received
LANDED..........
00-07-2018
fitter_happier said:
Hi,

What did you end up submitting? and was your eAPR accepted?

I have stumbled across the same thing and have exactly the same situation as yours.

JanP

Sep 29, 2016
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
14-02-2017
Passport Req..
02-05-2017
VISA ISSUED...
16-05-2017
LANDED..........
21-05-2017
Hi!

I have a similar question. I have an aunt and some cousins etc. here in Canada.

My 1st question, is in the form I am updating after my ITA, is only ask if I have a relative and then only allows me to put in the info for one person.
How did you add multiple (i.e aunt, cousins etc).

My 2nd question is whether I will need to then provide proof of relationship to them? Since I can see this being a bit trouble since they are more distant relatives and its harder to prove the relationship.

SDS

Star Member
Sep 27, 2014
Hi,

There is two letters difference in mine and my sibling's birth certificates. when we produce those as proof of sibling relationship, will it be a problem? What kind of document should submit for that? I am not claiming points for siblings but they asked details.

Thank you

:):):)