+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Family member looking for Visa for medical treatment

Discussion in 'Health' started by Samsung1234, Jun 16, 2019.

  1. Can someone please confirm what type of visa my family member would need if they want to visit Canada specifically for medical treatment? Is it just a regular TRV with the purpose of travel being the medical treatment?

    The fees will be covered in full by myself and we can get a medical letter from the clinic and doctors confirming the treatment will take place and that we have the funds in full to pay for the procedure

  2. Far from a simple process. The hospital and doctor have to agree to do the procedure without affecting any Canadian seeking medical treatment. You have to prove that you have the money plus a large contingency amount for any complications. There is a medical visa. It looks like you may have applied for asylum in Canada. If that is the case it will be extremely hard to get a visa for your family member. To get approval the person needs to show extremely strong ties to their home country and that it would make sense to come to Canada for a medical procedure. If there are any concerns the person will remain in Canada they will be refused. If it is a routine procedure and there are options in their country ot a neighbouring country they will likely be refused.
  3. What kind of procedure is the person needing and from what country?
  4. Thanks for your response.

    I'm a Canadian citizen. I have never applied for asylum here. Not sure why you assumed so?

    My relative wants to come for fertility treatment, which is privately funded so Canadian citizens pay out of pocket for thier own treatment anyway. So no, it would not prevent Canadians wanting the treatment and is not really considered a vital, life-altering treatment that would out Canadians at a disadvantage. It isn't comsidered a routine procedure and the country she is in doesn't have elite doctors and specialists who do the thpe of complexe preoceures she will need.

    We have the funds and more for the procedure. She has a husband and 3 young children, none of whom will be travelling with her.

    So there is an actual medical visa? I can't find any info about it. Only info saying you need a tourist visa but to specify you're calling for medical treatment
  5. Canuck78: I just realized why you mentioned the refugee thing. That was for a different person, a while ago.
  6. Fertility treatment is not really considered medical treatment but first of all most fertility doctors will require the husband to come to donate sperm.

    This doesn’t make sense. She has 3 young children so clearly isn’t infertile. IVF is not super complex and is available in many parts of the world. Based on your handle are you South Korean? Is this women being a surrogate for you?
  7. I cannot say that I know a lot about IVF other than there is no guarantee how long someone would be allowed to enter the country for so what is the plan B should any initial treatments fail, keep trying and keep trying to extend an authorised stay. I cannot see immigration accepting IVF treatment as an ongoing reason to extend a stay given it is not really medical treatment requiring for example a hospital stay.

    Having said above though guess there is no reason stopping anyone for applying just do not personally see how IVF could be stated as a reason to travel all the way to Canada especially with 3 kids already.
  8. Guessing this is a surrogacy issue which really need to be discussed with a Canadian surrogacy lawyer and a South Korean surrogacy lawyer which you should be really working with already. You also have to explore issues with documentation bringing your child back to Canada if the child is born in Korea or issues with documentation and payment if the child is born in Canada.

    Although IVF is done in a private clinic there are also side effects which may require hospitalizations. Since the medical procedure will be done in a private clinic you don’t need a special medical visa but you need to be prepared to pay for any medical costs. Given that this is also being done in Canada a lawyer and Canadian contract will be necessary.

    You also have to anticipate that the women arriving in Canada is not guaranteed entry into Canada or may be limited on how long she can stay.
  9. No. Not at all, lol. Not IVF or surrogacy. She had an issue with placenta and scar tissue after delivering her 3rd child that she'd like to address since she wants to have more kids. Not sure of all the details. She gave an estimate of the cost and said she has spoken to doctors here. Her husband has been a big help to us in the past so we're happy to pay and help and accommodate for a few weeks or months

    Canada may very well not be the right choice for her but she's done her research and seems to think so. Trying to figure out options.
  10. Not IVF. Fertility specialist do much more than that. There are apparently some minor procedures that can be done to fix scar tissue in uterus and a fertility clinic can do follow up to facilitate future receptivity
  11. Woah, no. Fertility specialists do much more than just IVF. There are apparently some relatively minor procedures that can be done to fix scar tissue in uterus and a fertility clinic can do follow up to facilitate future receptivity. She said there are specific tests a fertility clinic can run to see if she would be receptive to future pregnancies. She had a complicated 3rd delivery which is causing her problems now as she wants to have more. Her husband doesn’t need to be present

    That said, it is still possible that she may need hospitalization but she made it seem minor. I will keep that in mind should we decide to proceed
  12. Google. https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/standard-requirements/medical-requirements/exam/evaluating-temporary-resident-applications-medical-treatment.html.

    What country is this person actually from?
  13. Removing scar tissue is way beyond the scope of what can be done in a fertility doctor's office. Also it is a fairly straight forward operation that can be done across the world. You would need to go through prepayment, arrangement with hospital, etc. This is not a procedure that would be typically approved. This is an elective procedure. Where is she from? If she has 3 young children she would have got try for a full year at least before a doctor may be willing to operate. This situation doesn't make sense. There are much cheaper very competent countries where you could easily have this procedure done.

Share This Page