+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Family Information Form > Marital Status for deceased person

hmdidar

Feb 14, 2012
What should I write in Marital Status field if a person is deceased? This is regarding my grandfather. Please assist. Thank you!

Pippin

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2010
I am not quite sure whose marital status you refer to, but..... If your grandfather died you would indicate "deceased". Your grandmother would be "widowed". Does that make sense in this situation? I don't have the form in front of me for reference. Have you looked at that question in The GUIDE for an answer? Good Luck.

Pippin

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2010
Think I've found the form you are looking at and this is the Guide reference. Hope this helps. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5256ETOC.asp#5256E4
"Write full name, relationship, date of birth, marital status (married, single, widowed, common-law, divorced, separated, annulled marriage), present address and occupation (job), and whether they will come with you to Canada by checking ‘‘Yes’’ or ‘‘No’’.

If a person is deceased, indicate this under ‘‘Present address’’, and write the city and the date they died. "

hmdidar

Feb 14, 2012
Thanks for the reply.

Should I write "deceased" in marital status box? Or, N/A?

I wrote the City and Date in the present address box.

May 5, 2019
Hello all,

I am going to apply for a student visa and I have few doubts about Family Information Application form.

Both my mom and dad had passed away a few years back and I don't have clear evidence which can be shown as the proof of their DOB. So my parents' DOB which I know I will put there but should I mention "LATE" before their names to inform that they are no more.

Also, any other concern regarding this which I should have clarified beforehand else which might be an issue later?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Kaustav Mandal