+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Family emergency - EI

Canada1912

Jun 9, 2021
Dear friends,

I'm a permanent resident of Canada.

My mom is not well and I need to leave Canada to India.

I'm currently working and EI is getting deducted from my bi-weekly pay.

Can I apply for EI caregiving benefits for me (I'm still in Canada ) to take care of my mom in India as I won't be working?

I'm already spent lots of money for operation and other expense.

Please advise if there is any other emergency benefits I can apply.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Dear friends,

Can I apply for EI caregiving benefits for me (I'm still in Canada ) to take care of my mom in India as I won't be working?

Yes, you can try applying for EI caregiver benefits. See information here:

If you leave Canada to provide care or support to a person who is critically ill or injured or needing end-of-life care, you may still be eligible to receive these benefits. You must submit an application and supporting documents with the same type of proof that is required for someone living in Canada.

The medical certificate for the person who is critically ill or injured or needing end-of-life care should be completed by a medical doctor or nurse practitioner in the country where they are receiving care.

https://www.canada.ca/en/services/benefits/ei/caregiving/eligibility.html

I'm not aware of any other benefit you might qualify for.

Canada1912

Jun 9, 2021
Thank you so much Scylla for responding to my thread. I will go to Service Canada on Monday and apply for it.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Thank you so much Scylla for responding to my thread. I will go to Service Canada on Monday and apply for it.
I applied and used the caregiving benefit when my mother was diagnosed with terminal cancer . We had to get a note from the Dr with her diagnosis AND my mother had to sign it, and then submit it too Service Canada

Canada1912

Jun 9, 2021
I applied and used the caregiving benefit when my mother was diagnosed with terminal cancer . We had to get a note from the Dr with her diagnosis AND my mother had to sign it, and then submit it too Service Canada
Thank you very much "Copingwithlife" for responding to my post.

Canada1912

Jun 9, 2021
Sorry to bother you again. I just want to get ready financially if the caregiver benefit is not sufficient.

Could you please confirm me, how much a week I could expect as a caregiver benefit If I'm earning 1000 cad bi-weekly ?

Also, please let me know if I can extend the caregiver benefit for more than 15 weeks if my mom still not recovered.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Sorry to bother you again. I just want to get ready financially if the caregiver benefit is not sufficient.

Could you please confirm me, how much a week I could expect as a caregiver benefit If I'm earning 1000 cad bi-weekly ?

Also, please let me know if I can extend the caregiver benefit for more than 15 weeks if my mom still not recovered.
I can't answer your first question.

For the caregiver benefit, the maximum you can get is 15 weeks. This is if your mother needs your support to recover and is expected to get better.

Compassionate care is 26 weeks. This is for situations where the individual is critically ill and requires end of life care.

Canada1912

Jun 9, 2021
I can't answer your first question.

For the caregiver benefit, the maximum you can get is 15 weeks. This is if your mother needs your support to recover and is expected to get better.

Compassionate care is 26 weeks. This is for situations where the individual is critically ill and requires end of life care.
Thank you very much Syclla for responding.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020

The information for how much you may expect is on the website.

Service Canada cannot tell you exactly how much you will receive until your application is processed. For most people, the basic rate used to calculate Employment Insurance (EI) benefits is 55% of average insurable weekly earnings, up to a maximum amount.

https://www.canada.ca/en/services/benefits/ei/caregiving/after-applying.html

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth

I remember that it was paid at the same rate one would get if they applied for benefits if one was laid off from their job.
I believe it was @ 55% of ones pay . When I took the benefits, they only had compassionate care , which was for end of life as mentioned.
Once your employer issues your record of employment, service Canada will calculate the benefits based upon the payments reflected . If you elect to take it, ask your employer to issue that ROE as soon as you take leave . Service Canada won’t process the application unless they have a ROE on file and the documentation

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Dear friends,

How long have you been working? It looks like you only recently got PR and only recently qualified for OHaiP. How long you have been working impacts on whether you can even attempt to get EI.

Last edited:

Canada1912

Jun 9, 2021
How long have you been working? It looks like you only recently got PR and only recently qualified for OHaiP. How long you have been working impacts on whether you can even attempt to get EI.
I have been working on work permit for last two years and last month I become permanent resident. Will there be any impact on applying for caregiver benefit.

I never applied for any benefits including CERB until now.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I have been working on work permit for last two years and last month I become permanent resident. Will there be any impact on applying for caregiver benefit.

No impact. You can apply.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth

Service Canada will need to know how many insurable hours you’ve worked in the preceding year, known as the qualifying period . It used to be 600 hours , but the Government temporarily reduced that too 120 hours till mid September

https://www.canada.ca/en/services/benefits/ei/caregiving.html