+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Family Doctor For Pregnant Wife

Islam.Shahin

Aug 15, 2017
Hello Everyone,

My wife and I are landing in December 14th 2022 in Onatrio (Mississauga) and my wife is pregnant (mid of 6th month when we land). I have my PR and my wife is doing her landing. We will settle permanently and I want to get your feedback / recommendation on the following:

- After getting OHIP insurance, how do we follow up with the pregnancy? Do we need to register with a family doctor?
- If we need a family doctor, is it a hectic process? Can my wife finish the process in time before labor?
- Anyone knows family doctor wiling to accept new patients in December?
- If the family doctor thing does not work out, is there a way to follow up with OBGYN doctor using OHIP without having a family doctor?

Thank you and I appreciate your feedback.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hello Everyone,

My wife and I are landing in December 14th 2022 in Onatrio (Mississauga) and my wife is pregnant (mid of 6th month when we land). I have my PR and my wife is doing her landing. We will settle permanently and I want to get your feedback / recommendation on the following:

- After getting OHIP insurance, how do we follow up with the pregnancy? Do we need to register with a family doctor?
- If we need a family doctor, is it a hectic process? Can my wife finish the process in time before labor?
- If the family doctor thing does not work out, is there a way to follow up with OBGYN doctor using OHIP without having a family doctor?

You need to register with a family doctor. Millions of people in Ontario do not have a family doctor. Prepare for not finding a family doctor for many months. Therec can be year long waiting lists. Once you know where you are going to live then call around to different offices. Registers with the link below. To get a OBGYN, you need to be referred to one. Your wife can go to a walk-in clinic and ask for a referral. This way she has a OBGYN and affiliated hospital for the birth.

Find a doctor or nurse practitioner | ontario.ca

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello Everyone,

I would go to a walk-in clinic and get a referral for an OBGYN. You don't have to wait until you actually find a family doctor who can take you on.

There are several MCI clinics in Mississauga (not sure which is closest to you). I would book an appointment at one of those once you are in Canada (or something similar). It's possibly they may have a family practice doctor who is accepting new patience. If not, they will still be able to refer you to an OBGYN.

https://mcithedoctorsoffice.ca/

Reactions: caninfoseeker

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello Everyone,

The best way to find a family doctor is to call around bd ask family doctors if they are accepting patients and whether hey know of any doctors who are accepting any patients. You would want to indicate that it will be for your wife and future child and you can also join the same practice if you want. Most new doctors start practicing in June to September (depending if they take a vacation after they finish their residency) so that is the best time to try and find a new GP since GPs will often be starting a whole new practice. Agree that you should probably go to a walk-in clinic and get a referral to an OB because OB practices are quite busy and full so it may take a while to see an OB. I would suggest that your wife bring all her medical notes from this pregnancy to avoid having to repeat testing that has already been done.

Ontario eliminated the 3 months waiting period until you qualify for OHIP because of Covid but the 3 month wait period will return at a certain point so also important to check the OHIP website for any announcements before you travel to Ontario.

Ferawan12

Star Member
Jan 6, 2020
Heyy. Everyone, thanks for sharing! I do also wonder, so basically the requirements from OHIP are:
To meet the minimum qualifications you must:
  • be physically in Ontario for 153 days in any 12‑month period
  • be physically in Ontario for at least 153 days of the first 183 days immediately after you began living in the province
  • make Ontario your primary residence
You must also meet at least one of the following additional requirements. You:
  • are a Canadian citizen
  • are an Indigenous person (registered under the federal Indian Act)
  • are a permanent resident (formerly called a “landed immigrant”)
  • are applying for permanent residence in Canada and:
Do we need to be physically for at least 153 days? What if we just landed in Canada as PR, can we get it right away if there's no waiting time?

Thanks!

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Heyy. Everyone, thanks for sharing! I do also wonder, so basically the requirements from OHIP are:
  • be physically in Ontario for at least 153 days of the first 183 days immediately after you began living in the province
  • are a Canadian citizen
Do we need to be physically for at least 153 days? What if we just landed in Canada as PR, can we get it right away if there's no waiting time?

Thanks!
https://www.ontario.ca/page/apply-ohip-and-get-health-card

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
  • are a Canadian citizen

Thanks!
Currently there are no wait times but the 3 month period could return at any point. You do have to commit to remaining in Ontario and meeting the requirement if you use healthcare.

Ferawan12

Star Member
Jan 6, 2020
Currently there are no wait times but the 3 month period could return at any point. You do have to commit to remaining in Ontario and meeting the requirement if you use healthcare.

Thanks for the reply! So basically, if I just landed in Toronto for instance (currently I'm outside of Canada), I can apply the OHIP right away?

kafepoche

Sep 30, 2021
Thanks for the reply! So basically, if I just landed in Toronto for instance (currently I'm outside of Canada), I can apply the OHIP right away?
if you have the proof of address and other required docs, yes. check the website steaky provided.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
If you are a PR yes you can apply right away IF you will be meeting the residency requirements which is making Ontario your permanent home, being in Ontario 5 out of the first 6 months and 6 out of the next 12 months. Finding a GP acceoting new patients can be an issue.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Yes i want to know if everything went well as i am in a similar situation
So you will be landing in Mississauga as well?
I think it depends on OP's luck to find a family doctor.

call around. And asked to be put on waiting list for new doctors or new practice that are accepting new patients.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Yes i want to know if everything went well as i am in a similar situation
Finding doctors depends on location especially a GP. In terms of OB it also depends on location and how pregnant you are. What province and city are you moving to? Are you PRs? OBs usually only accept a certain amount of patients based on due dates. No matter what you will have an OB if you go into labour.