+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Family class spouse sponsorship - Biometrics and Medical in canada?

Dec 3, 2023
Hi everyone,
I am a permanent resident in Canada. My wife is in India so we are applying under family class.
She got her visitor's visa to Canada. So I am thinking of bringing here with me in the next couple of months when I visit her.
Is it okay if she is here in Canada when we get the request for medicals and biometrics? Does she have to go back to India to give these?

Or is it better to apply for inland application once she's in Canada with her visitor's visa.

Thank you everyone!

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Is it okay if she is here in Canada when we get the request for medicals and biometrics? Does she have to go back to India to give these?
Yes, it's ok, no, she would not have to go back for those.

It's possible she would have to go back for an interview but it's a small percentage of applicants that have interviews (and many or most of those now done online).

Or is it better to apply for inland application once she's in Canada with her visitor's visa.
It's up to you and no-one can say for sure. It seems right now that inland are being processed a fair bit faster. Obviously depnds in part how much later you'd have to apply (if you waited).

Dec 3, 2023
Thank you very much @armoured.
I think i am gonna go ahead with the outland application, wait for the AOR and apply OWP.

The processing time difference between inland and outland might not matter as much because all we need is the AOR to apply for the OWP.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Thank you very much @armoured.
I think i am gonna go ahead with the outland application, wait for the AOR and apply OWP.

The processing time difference between inland and outland might not matter as much because all we need is the AOR to apply for the OWP.
Up to you. Note my understanding is that you can't apply for the OWP until your spouse physically arrives in Canada.

Reactions: cherukuchiranjeevi