+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Family class sponsorship vs express entry

USABRANDON

Aug 15, 2018
I am currently working in Canada and have been living with my significant other for the better part of nearly 3 years now, we have been together close to 4 years (we have been living together continuously for the last 15 months). I qualify for express entry through CEC though my CRS score is 450 and I have yet to be able to get an ITA as my score is just too low. I don't have any other ways of raising it and am now 41 years old so that part of my score is dropping as well. So, my current work visa ends at the end of June and I am wondering if we should apply for SCLC sponsorship through common-law and begin that process and apply for the open work visa as well. I have saved lots of supporting documents for sponsorship but felt express entry would be faster though it has been challenging. Any thoughts and ideas are welcome!

Crystel13

Star Member
Sep 8, 2019
My husband had the same choice as you. He could have applied through express entry. He chose sponsorship. He would have gotten the PR quicker if he would have chosen the express entry.

USABRANDON

Aug 15, 2018
Yes that's true and if my CRS score was higher then I would but I have missed the last 3 rounds of selections and it seems to be going higher. Did he have any problems with processing the PR App though? If i apply in the next month then the open work permit should be processed before my current one expires.

Thank you for your reply!

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
The score for EE is hovering around 470. You'd be lucky to get an ITA, sadly.

Provided you have documentary proof of living with your partner for at least 12 months, the only frustration with spousal sponsorships is the processing time.

Crystel13

Star Member
Sep 8, 2019
Yes that's true and if my CRS score was higher then I would but I have missed the last 3 rounds of selections and it seems to be going higher. Did he have any problems with processing the PR App though? If i apply in the next month then the open work permit should be processed before my current one expires.

Thank you for your reply!
He hasn't got it yet but it's going well. Do what you think will be best for you.

fjle

Star Member
Jan 15, 2019
My son went through the common law sponsorship last year, it took 6 months almost to the day from submitting his application to landing.