+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Family class or H&C should I apply?

axylee

Feb 14, 2019
Hi ,
Here is my case , and need advice , please .
My mom is Canadian citizen and 74 years old , along live in Canada Edmonton with no any other family in Canada or friend live in the house, frequently has medical issues now, she has no parent present in the world . I am one of her 2 sons , 43 years old , with family wife and 2 kid 4 and 1 not Canadian. We are intend to process the family class ( or lonely Canadian program ) so I can go accompany with her . My mom's annual income is around 20K from the yearly Notice of assessment record .
My question is :
1: Does the LICO going to be a problem if I apply through family class ?
2: Should I go H&C process directly ?
3: Or is there any other options ?

Any advice would be highly appreciate , for my mom has live in Canada for a long time 20 y and use to there , asking she to come back to live is not a option which is equal to killing her , and she really need a family around to look after .

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Unless you are in Canada, H&C isn’t an option. You need to be in Canada to submit for H&C. There are a lot of risks associated with H&C, not least the success rate. Your best bet and likely most successful is under lonely Canadian.

axylee

Feb 14, 2019
Unless you are in Canada, H&C isn’t an option. You need to be in Canada to submit for H&C. There are a lot of risks associated with H&C, not least the success rate. Your best bet and likely most successful is under lonely Canadian.
Thank you for your advice , the lonely Canadian is one of family class right , so is the low income cut off going to be a problem ? or is there any exception for LICO in my case ?

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Just to be clear, are you expecting your 74 year old mother, on a 20k income, to sponsor you and your family?

If so, LICO makes this a complete non-starter.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5196-sponsorship-adopted-children-other-relatives-sponsor.html

Whom may I sponsor using this application package?
You can use this application package to sponsor:

• a child whom you adopted outside Canada and you were a Canadian citizen or permanent resident living in Canada at the time the adoption took place, or a child whom you intend to adopt in Canada. Consult the Appendix A.
  • your brother or sister, nephew or niece, grandson or granddaughter, if he or she is an orphan, under 18 years of age and not married or in a common-law relationship;
  • any other person, regardless of age, with whom you have a family relationship if you do not have a spouse, common-law partner, conjugal partner, son, daughter, mother, father, brother, sister, grandfather, grandmother, uncle, aunt, niece or nephew who is a Canadian citizen, a registered Indian, a permanent resident or whom you may sponsor as a member of the family class.

Sponsorship eligibility
In order to sponsor, you must…
  • be 18 years of age or older;
  • be a Canadian citizen, Registered Indian or permanent resident;
  • be sponsoring a member of the family Class;
  • live in Canada;
  • sign an undertaking promising to provide for the basic requirements of the person being sponsored;
  • sign an agreement with the person you are sponsoring that confirms that each of you understands your mutual obligations and responsibilities;
  • have an income that meets or exceeds the minimum necessary income, which is published yearly by the Canadian government in the Low-Income Cut-offs (LICO). You will have to provide us with documents that show your financial resources for the past 12 months and prove you are financially able to sponsor members of the family class. You may also have a co-signer. If you live in Quebec, see also Sponsors living in Quebec.

axylee

Feb 14, 2019
Just to be clear, are you expecting your 74 year old mother, on a 20k income, to sponsor you and your family?

If so, LICO makes this a complete non-starter.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5196-sponsorship-adopted-children-other-relatives-sponsor.html

Whom may I sponsor using this application package?
You can use this application package to sponsor:

• a child whom you adopted outside Canada and you were a Canadian citizen or permanent resident living in Canada at the time the adoption took place, or a child whom you intend to adopt in Canada. Consult the Appendix A.
  • your brother or sister, nephew or niece, grandson or granddaughter, if he or she is an orphan, under 18 years of age and not married or in a common-law relationship;
  • any other person, regardless of age, with whom you have a family relationship if you do not have a spouse, common-law partner, conjugal partner, son, daughter, mother, father, brother, sister, grandfather, grandmother, uncle, aunt, niece or nephew who is a Canadian citizen, a registered Indian, a permanent resident or whom you may sponsor as a member of the family class.

Sponsorship eligibility
In order to sponsor, you must…
  • be 18 years of age or older;
  • be a Canadian citizen, Registered Indian or permanent resident;
  • be sponsoring a member of the family Class;
  • live in Canada;
  • sign an undertaking promising to provide for the basic requirements of the person being sponsored;
  • sign an agreement with the person you are sponsoring that confirms that each of you understands your mutual obligations and responsibilities;
  • have an income that meets or exceeds the minimum necessary income, which is published yearly by the Canadian government in the Low-Income Cut-offs (LICO). You will have to provide us with documents that show your financial resources for the past 12 months and prove you are financially able to sponsor members of the family class. You may also have a co-signer. If you live in Quebec, see also Sponsors living in Quebec.
I can make my self living in Canada without my mom's sponsor , but the family class application require minimum LICO to process , also I cannot find any information that lonely Canadian program can be process without LICO limit .

jddd

Champion Member
Oct 1, 2017
I can make my self living in Canada without my mom's sponsor , but the family class application require minimum LICO to process , also I cannot find any information that lonely Canadian program can be process without LICO limit .
I believe what everyone here is saying, based on the official website, is that the Lonely Canadian program HAS LICO requirements.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Because it can't. LICO is required.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Looks like the H&C is the only option I got . Any advice to extend the visa ? what option I can have for medical insurance while my family stay in Canada ?
Realistically, I suspect that the chances of your successful application under H&C are probably close to zero. You would have to purchase insurance from a company, with all of the limitations associated with that.

Last edited:

jddd

Champion Member
Oct 1, 2017
Realistically, I suspect that the chances of your successful application under H&C are probably close to zero. You would have to purchase insurance from a company, with all of the limitations associated with that.
Agree with this.

To OP, are you currently in Canada? Because you are asking how you can extend your visa? I'm confused. Not sure why your mom going back to your home country will "kill" her especially if you and your family are there to care for her, I suspect IRCC will ask for proof on how going back there will kill your mom if that's what you plan on going with. But then again, if you are not in Canada now, not sure how you can apply for H&C.

axylee

Feb 14, 2019
Agree with this.

To OP, are you currently in Canada? Because you are asking how you can extend your visa? I'm confused. Not sure why your mom going back to your home country will "kill" her especially if you and your family are there to care for her, I suspect IRCC will ask for proof on how going back there will kill your mom if that's what you plan on going with. But then again, if you are not in Canada now, not sure how you can apply for H&C.
Thank you all for the advice , and to be clarify , I had asking my mom to move back to live me for years but she just not willing to do so , she is comfortable with the weather and environment in Canada over 25 years, force her to move back to re-establish just make this old woman live in unhappiness ( i may use the wrong term of kill instead of make her suffer ) especially in this old age , i just want her to have a happy living .Lately she has medical issues need family around to take care , so I have to cut off my job to move over to accompany with her which can be few month or over year , that's why I may apply H&C while in Canada .

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Not sure if your whole family will be able to get H&C or whether it would make sense for you to leave your job for over a year. What your mother wants and what is feasible for your family financially is different. Your children will also have to pay international fees at public schools in Canada. You will have to purchase emergency medical insurance but will have to pay for any routine care.

Reactions: jddd