+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Failure to declare pregnant girlfriend before going to Canada.

mommytimz

Jan 18, 2018
On August 3, 2016, my then boyfriend, now my husband and his family, were all sponsored to canada. I was 7 months pregnant at that time. In his application, his status is single. He did not declare that i am pregnant. He went home to the Philippines last October 23,2017 and we got married last November 22,2017.
Now he wants to sponsor me and our 14month old child to canada. My questions are,

- Is not declaring that I am pregnant at the time he entered to Canada hinder our application?
- I am three months pregnant with our second child, should we wait for the baby to
be born or just pass the application of me and our first child?

Please comment :( I need you help

Will_PA

Sep 3, 2017
Don't think being pregnant is the issue, the question is were you "common law" at the time?

Did you live together before he came to Canada? If you did and for more than a year (and he didn't declare it) then he may be unable to sponsor you. If you didn't live together for a year then I believe you're ok.

Second question - not sure. Don't think you can do medical whilst pregnant, but my hunch would be better to start the process sooner than later.

kcward7

VIP Member
May 4, 2017
On August 3, 2016, my then boyfriend, now my husband and his family, were all sponsored to canada. I was 7 months pregnant at that time. In his application, his status is single. He did not declare that i am pregnant. He went home to the Philippines last October 23,2017 and we got married last November 22,2017.
Now he wants to sponsor me and our 14month old child to canada. My questions are,

- Is not declaring that I am pregnant at the time he entered to Canada hinder our application?
- I am three months pregnant with our second child, should we wait for the baby to

Expanding on comment above:

If you and your boyfriend met the criteria for common law prior to him landing in Canada as "single", then yes, you have a problem. In order to have met the criteria you must have been living together for at least 12 months consecutively with no significant breaks. If this was the case and he landed as single without declaring you, it is considered misrepresentation by CIC, and he can never sponsor you.

If you did not meet the criteria at the time, not declaring that you were pregnant is not a problem.

Some clinics will not do the x rays on a pregnant woman, which is a mandatory part of the medical exam for permanent residency.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012

You need to confirm specifically:
- Was Aug 3, 2016 the date he landed as a PR in Canada? And on this day he landed as PR, you were just pregnant and child had not been born yet
- Before he landed as PR, had you at any point in time lived together in the same home for 12 consecutive months?

Wakki

Champion Member
Sep 18, 2017

- I am three months pregnant with our second child, should we wait for the baby to be born or just pass the application of me and our first child?

Don't think being pregnant will be an issue, since your husband declared he was single when he was been sponsored for PR in August 3rd, 2016 and if you legally got married on November 22nd, 2017, then the question is were you in a "common law" at that time or just singles dating and not living together ?

You will have some serious explanation to provide, to clarify you were not in a "Common Law Relationship" and convincing prove you were not living together, else your husband did not declare you when he was been sponsored, otherwise your sponsorship may be denied as your husband earlier provided misrepresented information.

A common-law relationship is defined as cohabiting (living together) in a conjugal (or marriage-like) relationship with a partner for a period of at least one year.

Since you were not legally married as of Aug 3rd 2016, you will have to provide convincing proof you were not also in a Common-Law relationship as of Aug 3rd, 2016.

- I am three months pregnant with our second child, should we wait for the baby to be born or just pass the application of me and our first child?

You do not have to wait, until your new baby is born, you could go ahead with the sponsorship application for you and your 14 months old child.

When your new baby is born, you only need to inform CIC of the birth and add your newborn baby to the Spousal Sponsorship application.

You must also state in the Spousal Sponsorship application that you are currently pregnant with your 2nd child and provide the due date (CIC form IMM5532E - Question #10).

Please see........how you add your newborn to Spousal Sponsorship when Sponsor is a PR in Canada.
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/how-to-add-a-new-born-to-spousal-sponsorship-application-for-permanent-residency.534211/

Last edited:

mommytimz

Jan 18, 2018
You need to confirm specifically:
- Was Aug 3, 2016 the date he landed as a PR in Canada? And on this day he landed as PR, you were just pregnant and child had not been born yet
- Before he landed as PR, had you at any point in time lived together in the same home for 12 consecutive months?

-They landed on aug. 3 as PR in canada. i was still pregnant.
-No, we did not live together

JulianaAndrew

Feb 14, 2017
Colombia
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Bogota
App. Filed.......
26-07-2017
Doc's Request.
Schedule A and PCC: 01-09-2017
AOR Received.
AOR1: 01-09-2017, AOR2: 19-09-2017
File Transfer...
15-09-2017
Med's Request
02-01-2018
Med's Done....
23-01-2018
Interview........
06-12-2017 - Passed
Passport Req..
06-12-2017
VISA ISSUED...
05-03-2018
LANDED..........
10-03-2018
I don't think your now husband made a mistake by not declaring you and your pregnancy. You were not common-law nor married, so in fact he was single. I believe you will be okay and this won't be an issue for your application.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
In this case you are perfectly fine. He should start the sponsorship process immediately.

Since you are pregnant, it's optional if you wanted to go through with the x-ray portion of medical exam, or at discretion of the doctor. Some refuse to do it, while others see is as no real risk (radiation exposure is the same as taking a long flight).

After your new child is born you will add them to the application, and finish your own medical exam if you delayed it. You and your 2 children will then all get PR status together.

Since your husband is a PR, he must be living in Canada while the app is processing. During this time he could only visit you for short/temporary vacations (most suggest no more than 3-4 weeks).

Meganarki

Feb 13, 2016
I’m on the same boat. Please help me with this. I have a 3 month old baby from my girlfriend. We have not lived together since im here in canada and she is in the philippines. I got ppr today for my pr application. My question is should i update cic about my child? Im not planning on adding him on my application. My plan is to get my pr and go backhome and get married then sponsor both my future wife and my son.

Roy19

Dec 7, 2017
I’m on the same boat. Please help me with this. I have a 3 month old baby from my girlfriend. We have not lived together since im here in canada and she is in the philippines. I got ppr today for my pr application. My question is should i update cic about my child? Im not planning on adding him on my application. My plan is to get my pr and go backhome and get married then sponsor both my future wife and my son.
You definitely have to update CIC about your 3 month old child and include the child in your PR application as Non-Accompanying. If you don't, the child will be forever excluded from Family Class and you won't be able to sponsor him/her ever. You'll also be causing misrepresentation and jeopordizing your own PR status in the future.

Alu

Sep 16, 2019
Hlo mam I am also same ur situation...my gf was 7 month pregnant...we were not common law relationship...I hope u landed in Canada safely pls reply ...I am applying next month for my wife and son thanks