+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Failed to declare common law after ECOPR

kg2301

Sep 3, 2023
Hi Everyone!

I hope someone could help me.

Me and my partner met because we're both international students. Last nov 2022 we moved in together. Technically, i got my Ecopr last feb 13, 2024 but it didnt came into my mind to add him as a common law partner. Our plan was to marry after i get my PR card so I can sponsor him. My questions are:

1. If we were to marry after getting my PR Card, Is it misrepresentatin that i forgot to include him on my file? Shiuld i send a webform to IRCC now while waiting for PR card?

2. If he would just apply CEC and get his PR would this be a problem in the future in case we get married?

Appreciate any advice

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi Everyone!

Me and my partner met because we're both international students. Last nov 2022 we moved in together. Technically, i got my Ecopr last feb 13, 2024 but it didnt came into my mind to add him as a common law partner. Our plan was to marry after i get my PR card so I can sponsor him. My questions are:

1. If we were to marry after getting my PR Card, Is it misrepresentatin that i forgot to include him on my file? Shiuld i send a webform to IRCC now while waiting for PR card?

2. If he would just apply CEC and get his PR would this be a problem in the future in case we get married?

Appreciate any advice
If you have already become a PR then it is too late to add your partner to your application. In that case you can never sponsor your partner for PR. Your partner needs to qualify and apply for PR on their own through a program like CEC.

kg2301

Sep 3, 2023
If you have already become a PR then it is too late to add your partner to your application. In that case you can never sponsor your partner for PR. Your partner needs to qualify and apply for PR on their own through a program like CEC.
But what if we get married in the future? Will it affect our PR since we did not declare it?

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
But what if we get married in the future? Will it affect our PR since we did not declare it?
Doesn't matter because you failed to disclose/declare him in your original PR application. Your marital status can change, sure, but the person that you failed to include would still be the same person. It's an unfortunate part of the process and you are not the first to experience this.
Hopefully he will find a way to obtain his PR!

As an aside, this could impact your own PR as misrepresentation is never good in the eyes of IRCC. Even if you could sponsor him, he would have needed to show his true residential history in his application, which would show dates and residences that match the ones you entered in your PR application.

Might be best to not `poke the bear'.

kg2301

Sep 3, 2023
Doesn't matter because you failed to disclose/declare him in your original PR application. Your marital status can change, sure, but the person that you failed to include would still be the same person. It's an unfortunate part of the process and you are not the first to experience this.
Hopefully he will find a way to obtain his PR!

As an aside, this could impact your own PR as misrepresentation is never good in the eyes of IRCC. Even if you could sponsor him, he would have needed to show his true residential history in his application, which would show dates and residences that match the ones you entered in your PR application.

Might be best to not `poke the bear'.
So is it better for him to apply PR on his own? And then after he became PR we can marry?

kg2301

Sep 3, 2023
Your only option is for him to get PR on his own. You are no longer eligible to sponsor him. You can get married at any point.
Yes i got it. But can we get married in the future if we're both PRs already? It wouldnt be an issue that we didnt declare each other common law?

karankoma22

Apr 13, 2017
Hi Everyone!

Appreciate any advice

went through same scenario . The thing matter is did you guys were living together on lease ? And there were other people living with you too ?.
If You guys were living together with others . It do not make your relationship to common law .
You can be friends and it’s also totally understandable for students to live together.
I declared everything about our relationship history and how we were good friends living together and turned friendship to lovers Relationship. And we got positive result. As we didi not had any thing together and provided all this details with explanation letter .
i will refer you to go see a immigration Lawyer or RCIC they can better guide you .
All the best

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
went through same scenario . The thing matter is did you guys were living together on lease ? And there were other people living with you too ?.
If You guys were living together with others . It do not make your relationship to common law .
You can be friends and it’s also totally understandable for students to live together.
I declared everything about our relationship history and how we were good friends living together and turned friendship to lovers Relationship. And we got positive result. As we didi not had any thing together and provided all this details with explanation letter .
i will refer you to go see a immigration Lawyer or RCIC they can better guide you .
All the best
This is not true.

Many common law couple share a home with others. As long as there is evidence that the couple is a genuine common law couple, that's all they need.

Having said that, I suspect there may be more work involved on the part of the applicants, but I don't recall if IRCC even asks about other people sharing the same home in the application. *shrug*