+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Failed in last semester of a 1 year program

avidqtaqtx

Apr 18, 2021
Hi,
Sorry for reposting the same thing but I'm quite confused and need some guidance.
I got admitted to 1yr fast track program at Fleming college. It's an 10 months course comprising of 3 semester. In the last semester we have to work on a group project and the whole team of 3 student failed, me being the one of them, now this course is offered from Sept - June. The professor told me participate in the group project again in order to pass the program. Group selection starts in December and actual work/class starts from May-June(3rd sem).
-I can only take this course next year May-June 2023 so will it be considered my last sem and won't impact by pgwp?
- I applied for another course for fall 2022 intake and it took me some time to arrange for the funds but now that I have access to the funds the college says it's too late( class registration portal is closed) and asking me to differ to Jan intake.

My current study visa expires on 31st Dec 2022.
Should I extend it based on my first course or should I apply Jan intake and forgot about the first program (although I will be taking up that failed course and intend to get the diploma).

Thanks for any help offered by fellow members.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi,
Sorry for reposting the same thing but I'm quite confused and need some guidance.
I got admitted to 1yr fast track program at Fleming college. It's an 10 months course comprising of 3 semester. In the last semester we have to work on a group project and the whole team of 3 student failed, me being the one of them, now this course is offered from Sept - June. The professor told me participate in the group project again in order to pass the program. Group selection starts in December and actual work/class starts from May-June(3rd sem).
-I can only take this course next year May-June 2023 so will it be considered my last sem and won't impact by pgwp?
- I applied for another course for fall 2022 intake and it took me some time to arrange for the funds but now that I have access to the funds the college says it's too late( class registration portal is closed) and asking me to differ to Jan intake.

My current study visa expires on 31st Dec 2022.
Should I extend it based on my first course or should I apply Jan intake and forgot about the first program (although I will be taking up that failed course and intend to get the diploma).

Thanks for any help offered by fellow members.
You have to mention the Fleming course and submit your transcripts if you want to count it towards your PGWP. You are both asking to start a new course in Jan 2023 and finish your Fleming course in May 2023. Does your new course starting in Jan 2023 have summers off? Don’t think you can be approved to take both courses.

avidqtaqtx

Apr 18, 2021
You have to mention the Fleming course and submit your transcripts if you want to count it towards your PGWP. You are both asking to start a new course in Jan 2023 and finish your Fleming course in May 2023. Does your new course starting in Jan 2023 have summers off? Don’t think you can be approved to take both courses.
Thanks for your input canuk78.

I contacted a nearby consultant(Toronto) and he told me that I wont get PGWP against the fleming course (GIS) as I have failed in a course and he suggusted that I should just take up another 1 year program if I need PGWP. I do intend to finish the fleming course as it's highly competitive and well know in the industry, so my thinking to date is to take any random course(Seneca) from Jan23-Aug23 (mostly no summer break)for the PGWP and use fleming's degree for employment. I honestly haven't talked with advisor regarding this.
I just need that 1 yr PGWP, so you think I will still be eligible for PGWP from the fleming course given that I didn't go to school from Sept2022-April2023.

Thanks again for your time.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks for your input canuk78.

I contacted a nearby consultant(Toronto) and he told me that I wont get PGWP against the fleming course (GIS) as I have failed in a course and he suggusted that I should just take up another 1 year program if I need PGWP. I do intend to finish the fleming course as it's highly competitive and well know in the industry, so my thinking to date is to take any random course(Seneca) from Jan23-Aug23 (mostly no summer break)for the PGWP and use fleming's degree for employment. I honestly haven't talked with advisor regarding this.
I just need that 1 yr PGWP, so you think I will still be eligible for PGWP from the fleming course given that I didn't go to school from Sept2022-April2023.

Thanks again for your time.
You need a study permit for the Fleming course to finish the course. You can’t just finish the course and not tell IRCC. The school has a list of who has a permit to attend the school.

avidqtaqtx

Apr 18, 2021
You need a study permit for the Fleming course to finish the course. You can’t just finish the course and not tell IRCC. The school has a list of who has a permit to attend the school.
I will go with Fleming course then.
And last question (major) - can this gap leads to pgwp rejection?
Thanks

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I will go with Fleming course then.
And last question (major) - can this gap leads to pgwp rejection?
Thanks
Unfortunately this causes other issues. Because you can’t be out of school for over 150 days to qualify for pgwp if you course isn’t offered in January you run into other issues. I would suggest sitting down with the international student coordinator at Fleming.