+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Facing Test and just found out I made stupid mistake in residence calculator

amimonga

Jan 28, 2013
Hi Weber,

Please keep us upto date on how it goes. I had a similar mistake on my calculation. I forgot an absence and saw it just before my test. At the test the CO updated my residency calculation but did not issue me RQ. Not sure what will happen

weberwang

Jan 18, 2013
Hi all,
Checked status today and saw this 'We sent you a notice on February 20, 2013 to appear and take the oath of citizenship at the citizenship ceremony to be held on March 8, 2013'.

Thanks very much canadavisa.com! Thanks all the people give me advice and comfort! Your guys are the best.

Good Luck everyone!

weberwang

cancitz

Feb 21, 2013
Congrats weberwang !

weberwang / all : Mine is similar situation - there is US stamp for 1 day trip and have'nt mentioned in application while stamp is there. Should I report right away at interview before them noticing? Mine test is tomorrow..Please reply urgently..

Thanks

cancitz

Feb 21, 2013
Hi amimonga
Is there any update for you? Did you let the officer know about your absence yourself or he found out from passport and how long was absence?

Good luck..

Thanks

spetel

Nov 17, 2014
I'm no genius, but I think there is a bug in the online calculator.

put these dates in excel:
Arrival date: 2004-08-10
Permanent residence date: 2009-02-08
Application date: 2011-02-15

It says you have 1643 days before PR, and 737 after PR.
so, 737 + (1643/2) = 1558.5 in my excel. Wayyy more than you need.

No?

AFAIK, you can only look 5 yeas back.
So, lets correct your start date to 2/15/2006
Still, excel says you got 1281.5 eligible days (before travel). still wayyyy more than you need.

I think there is a major bug in the online calculator and I just opened another topic about it:
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/online-calculator-error-bug-t276264.0.html

I am writing up a document now to send to my application ASAP. I suggest you do your manual calculations now and send it as well.

spetel

Nov 17, 2014
Sorry... it is 4 years - which makes the online calculator correct... :| :(

spetel said:
I'm no genius, but I think there is a bug in the online calculator.

put these dates in excel:
Application date: 2011-02-15

It says you have 1643 days before PR, and 737 after PR.
so, 737 + (1643/2) = 1558.5 in my excel. Wayyy more than you need.

No?

AFAIK, you can only look 5 yeas back.
So, lets correct your start date to 2/15/2006
Still, excel says you got 1281.5 eligible days (before travel). still wayyyy more than you need.

I think there is a major bug in the online calculator and I just opened another topic about it:
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/online-calculator-error-bug-t276264.0.html

I am writing up a document now to send to my application ASAP. I suggest you do your manual calculations now and send it as well.

Flute

Apr 5, 2014
Folks, be very careful while submitting details to any government entity in Canada. They used to be very liberal. But these days, I am hearing anecdotal evidence that careless mistakes like these, that were made inadvertently, are being used as a ruse to allege citizenship fraud. That means, you will be accused of withholding material information or submitting false information, with the intent of defrauding the government. These are serious criminal charges, that will get you stiff fines and jail time. So be ultra-careful. Carelessness can prove to be a very costly lesson, that can impacting your entire career (a criminal record will be a big impediment in finding a job).

ashafei

Jun 19, 2019
Hello All,

I submitted my Citizenship application in February 15th, 2012 and CIC received my application in February 23rd, 2012. In January 14th, 2013, I received citizenship test notice.
The test is scheduled for next Tuesday. However, when I prepared for the documentation for the citizenship test, I found I made one big mistake in the Residence Calculator sheet I sent to them in my original citizenship application.
My application date should be 2012-02-15, which is the date I paid the application fee and signed my application form. However, I mistakenly put ‘2011-02-15’ (one year before my real application date) in the ‘application date’ column when I filled the online Residence Calculator. This careless error resulted in my physical presence (days) is not sufficient for the required 1095 days in the Residence Calculator sheet I originally submitted.

Application date: 2011-02-15 <-----[Should be 2012-02-15]
Basic residence (days): 1099
Time spent serving a sentence (days): 0
Days absent: 47.5
Physical presence (days): 1051 <-----[do not meet and I did not notice it and used this wrong sheet to submit my application]

After I use the correct application date 2012-02-15 in the online Residence Calculator with the same ‘Absences from Canada’ date, my real physical presence (days) is 1196 which meets the 1095 days requirement.

Application date: 2012-02-15 <-----[right date]
Basic residence (days): 1281
Time spent serving a sentence (days): 0
Days absent: 85
Physical presence (days): 1196 <-----[meet]

Anyway, at the time I submited my application last year, I even did not know what 'Physical presence' is. I just knew my time is good to apply the citizen and did not pay attention to the outcome in the residence calculator sheet.

I will have the citizenship test next tuesday, what should I do? What's the odds do you think i will face a RQ?

I'm very worried I may face a RQ in the interview, so

option A: call CIC, tell them i made mistake and want to re-submit my residence calculator, ask them to re-process my application and re-schedule the test.
option B: go test anyway and present my new residence calculator sheet to officer right away and ask him/her that i'd likt to re-submit my residence calculator. Will they reconsider a RQ for me (if any).

Thanks in advance for you help!

I'm feeling like kicking my ass now.

Thanks,
Weber

ashafei

Jun 19, 2019
good morning, my wife had same issue, made a mistake in her application and she is 16 days short, after she passed the citizenship exam they found the mistake and asked to translate all stamps in the passport.
Weberwang, so what hapend?

jickson

Dec 17, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
good morning, my wife had same issue, made a mistake in her application and she is 16 days short, after she passed the citizenship exam they found the mistake and asked to translate all stamps in the passport.
If you go through the posts, looks like he got his citizenship more than 6 years ago!!

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
If she is actually SHORT . . . that is, if the information shows that she was physically present in Canada fewer than 1095 days during her five year eligibility period, that is during the five years prior to the day her application was made, this application CANNOT result in a grant of citizenship. Whether she withdraws the application, or goes through this or that procedure leading to the denial of the application, the outcome is NOT in question. IRCC does NOT have legal authority to grant citizenship to such an applicant on that application.

THERE IS A HUGE DIFFERENCE IN FALLING "SHORT" NOW VERSUS FOR APPLICATIONS MADE PRIOR TO JUNE 11, 2015.

In particular, Weberwang's application was made in 2012 when there was a RESIDENCY requirement. The way it worked then was that if the applicant had been actually physically present at least three years during the relevant four year time period, that met the requirement; but a PR could also meet the requirement by being "resident in Canada" at least three of the relevant four years. There were scores and scores of what were called "short-fall" cases back then, cases in which a Citizenship Judge had discretion to grant approval for a grant of citizenship based on RESIDENCY rather than actual physical presence.

For applications made after June 11, 2015, the requirement is specifically an actual physical presence requirement. There is NO discretion, no authority, to grant citizenship to anyone who does not meet this requirement. Falling short means the application must fail.

Reactions: ashafei

ashafei

Jun 19, 2019
If she is actually SHORT . . . that is, if the information shows that she was physically present in Canada fewer than 1095 days during her five year eligibility period, that is during the five years prior to the day her application was made, this application CANNOT result in a grant of citizenship. Whether she withdraws the application, or goes through this or that procedure leading to the denial of the application, the outcome is NOT in question. IRCC does NOT have legal authority to grant citizenship to such an applicant on that application.

THERE IS A HUGE DIFFERENCE IN FALLING "SHORT" NOW VERSUS FOR APPLICATIONS MADE PRIOR TO JUNE 11, 2015.

In particular, Weberwang's application was made in 2012 when there was a RESIDENCY requirement. The way it worked then was that if the applicant had been actually physically present at least three years during the relevant four year time period, that met the requirement; but a PR could also meet the requirement by being "resident in Canada" at least three of the relevant four years. There were scores and scores of what were called "short-fall" cases back then, cases in which a Citizenship Judge had discretion to grant approval for a grant of citizenship based on RESIDENCY rather than actual physical presence.

For applications made after June 11, 2015, the requirement is specifically an actual physical presence requirement. There is NO discretion, no authority, to grant citizenship to anyone who does not meet this requirement. Falling short means the application must fail.
So what happens now? What they will do or awe should do?

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
So what happens now? What they will do or awe should do?
I am NOT an expert. I cannot and do not offer any personal advice; for many reasons not just formalities.

And I do NOT really know the facts.

Note, in particular, that my observation was CONDITIONAL, based on the condition that the applicant is IN FACT SHORT of meeting the minimum presence requirement. In contrast, however, this applicant must have submitted a presence calculation showing presence sufficient to meet the requirement. What the actual facts are will dictate what CAN happen. I do not know what those actual facts are.

So, with emphasis on the "IF" . . . IF she is short . . . that is, if the number of days credit for presence in Canada is LESS than 1095 for the five years in her eligibility period (the five years immediately preceding the date she signed the application) . . . IF short, she is NOT eligible for citizenship.

The most sensible approach in this scenario is to WITHDRAW the application and then RE-APPLY if she is now eligible, or wait to re-apply when she does become eligible. She can respond to the request for the translation with an acknowledgement she made a mistake, realizes she is short, and will thus withdraw the application.

However, she is not required to withdraw. She can respond to IRCC requests, including the translation of passport stamps and any other requests IRCC makes. The application will most likely be deemed a presence-case and go through the process for such cases. I could go into some detail about what particular procedures and such that could involve, ranging from a RQ (Residence Questionnaire) to a possible hearing with a Citizenship Judge. BUT if in fact she is SHORT, the outcome of those procedures is easily predictable: application denied. The only question is how long it takes to get to that outcome . . . many months or well more than another year, or so.

If she has been in Canada since applying, and thus now easily meets the requirements, the easiest AND fastest way to get citizenship will be to withdraw and re-apply.

If she has been mostly outside Canada since applying and her presence calculation is currently little or no better than when she made the application, what she can do may depend on just how clearly or certain it is that she is short. As long as she does not make any misrepresentations, if she believes she actually met the requirement, then she could stick with the application, go through the process including responding to any requests from IRCC, and see how things go.

But if she is for sure SHORT, that's the ball game. Short means NOT eligible. Might as well withdraw and go from there.