+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Facing Test and just found out I made stupid mistake in residence calculator

weberwang

Jan 18, 2013
Hello All,

I submitted my Citizenship application in February 15th, 2012 and CIC received my application in February 23rd, 2012. In January 14th, 2013, I received citizenship test notice.
The test is scheduled for next Tuesday. However, when I prepared for the documentation for the citizenship test, I found I made one big mistake in the Residence Calculator sheet I sent to them in my original citizenship application.
My application date should be 2012-02-15, which is the date I paid the application fee and signed my application form. However, I mistakenly put ‘2011-02-15’ (one year before my real application date) in the ‘application date’ column when I filled the online Residence Calculator. This careless error resulted in my physical presence (days) is not sufficient for the required 1095 days in the Residence Calculator sheet I originally submitted.

Arrival date: 2004-08-10
Permanent residence date: 2009-02-08
Application date: 2011-02-15 <-----[Should be 2012-02-15]
Basic residence (days): 1099
Time spent serving a sentence (days): 0
Days absent: 47.5
Physical presence (days): 1051 <-----[do not meet and I did not notice it and used this wrong sheet to submit my application]

After I use the correct application date 2012-02-15 in the online Residence Calculator with the same ‘Absences from Canada’ date, my real physical presence (days) is 1196 which meets the 1095 days requirement.

Application date: 2012-02-15 <-----[right date]
Basic residence (days): 1281
Days absent: 85
Physical presence (days): 1196 <-----[meet]

Anyway, at the time I submited my application last year, I even did not know what 'Physical presence' is. I just knew my time is good to apply the citizen and did not pay attention to the outcome in the residence calculator sheet.

I will have the citizenship test next tuesday, what should I do? What's the odds do you think i will face a RQ?

I'm very worried I may face a RQ in the interview, so

option A: call CIC, tell them i made mistake and want to re-submit my residence calculator, ask them to re-process my application and re-schedule the test.
option B: go test anyway and present my new residence calculator sheet to officer right away and ask him/her that i'd likt to re-submit my residence calculator. Will they reconsider a RQ for me (if any).

Thanks in advance for you help!

I'm feeling like kicking my ass now.

Thanks,
Weber

Nordicgirl

Star Member
Dec 18, 2012
Visa Office......
Scarborough, ON
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Funny that they have not complained about it so far. Are you sure you put the wrong date in the application?

Gosh, I am not sure what to do... What should others suggest?

tst

Star Member
Aug 21, 2012
First of all Weber you are lucky that you got test so fast..

Okay regarding your problem, I can see only one solution, Just go to test take all documents including residence
calculator and see what happens, because now it is too late to inform them you are just one week away from test.

who knows like you they also may not noticed that mistake ;D just kidding.

So relax and do preparation for test.

Abahoni

Star Member
Sep 13, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
weberwang said:
Hello All,

I submitted my Citizenship application in February 15th, 2012 and CIC received my application in February 23rd, 2012. In January 14th, 2013, I received citizenship test notice.
The test is scheduled for next Tuesday. However, when I prepared for the documentation for the citizenship test, I found I made one big mistake in the Residence Calculator sheet I sent to them in my original citizenship application.
My application date should be 2012-02-15, which is the date I paid the application fee and signed my application form. However, I mistakenly put ‘2011-02-15' (one year before my real application date) in the ‘application date' column when I filled the online Residence Calculator. This careless error resulted in my physical presence (days) is not sufficient for the required 1095 days in the Residence Calculator sheet I originally submitted.

Application date: 2011-02-15 <-----[Should be 2012-02-15]
Basic residence (days): 1099
Days absent: 47.5
Physical presence (days): 1051 <-----[do not meet and I did not notice it and used this wrong sheet to submit my application]

After I use the correct application date 2012-02-15 in the online Residence Calculator with the same ‘Absences from Canada' date, my real physical presence (days) is 1196 which meets the 1095 days requirement.

Application date: 2012-02-15 <-----[right date]
Basic residence (days): 1281
Days absent: 85
Physical presence (days): 1196 <-----[meet]

Anyway, at the time I submited my application last year, I even did not know what 'Physical presence' is. I just knew my time is good to apply the citizen and did not pay attention to the outcome in the residence calculator sheet.

I will have the citizenship test next tuesday, what should I do? What's the odds do you think i will face a RQ?

I'm very worried I may face a RQ in the interview, so

option A: call CIC, tell them i made mistake and want to re-submit my residence calculator, ask them to re-process my application and re-schedule the test.
option B: go test anyway and present my new residence calculator sheet to officer right away and ask him/her that i'd likt to re-submit my residence calculator. Will they reconsider a RQ for me (if any).

Thanks in advance for you help!

I'm feeling like kicking my ass now.

Thanks,
Weber
Hi, Do not worry, just prepare for the test. They may ask you to re-submit residence calculator. If they do not ask, they probably have calculated. Before the test they will call you and you see a small note sheet on your file, which they will ask about. So best of luck..

weberwang

Jan 18, 2013
Thanks everyone for your advices, much appreciate it!
Finger crossed for my test and interview tomorrow.

checkmate

Oct 25, 2012
weberwang said:
Thanks everyone for your advices, much appreciate it!
Finger crossed for my test and interview tomorrow.
Weberwang,
Can you please update your test experience after that ?
Thanks

weberwang

Jan 18, 2013
Hi all,
I went to the test yesterday, I actually prepared a lot of stuff to approve I'm a good citizen candidate (have a job and pay tax). I even prepare a applogy letter to point out my careless typo, and a new calculate sheet with the right date.

When I was called for the interview (everyone will be interviewed before the test), I brought out this right away, she found my original sheet and asked me where it is and I pointed out the wrong date, and she verified my signing date in the original main application form (CIT0002E) and had me changed the date in the original sheet with my initial beside.
I feel they did not notice my typo in their process and I think they did calculate residency themself based on the signing date/lading date in the CIT0002E and the outside canada date in that residence calculate sheet.
If they only looked at the residence calculator and did not notice my typo, my case will be rejected right away, I guess.

Anyway, after that she started to verify every single stamp in my passport and mark it in my original residence calculator sheet and ended the interview soon after.

That's about it.

Now I'm waiting the next letter from CIC, hope it's a oath notice not a RQ.

Weber

Lun

Mar 28, 2012
congrats weberwang!! I believe they can figure out it is a careless mistake rather than a fraud so you should be okay.

May I ask you what questions did the officer ask in the interview after checking your stamps in the passport? Thanks.

weberwang

Jan 18, 2013
The interview questions are quite easy, like ‘talk something about yourself, anything', 'how did you get here', 'do you work'.

I have some oneday trip to US, as these US homeland stamps are not in my residence calculator sheet, she just asked me are these one day trip, I said yes. She told me I shoul also list them in the calculater even it's one day trip, I responced 'nicely' that the online calculator it's not needed to list one day trip, that's why I ignored these when filled the form.

Lun

Mar 28, 2012
Thank you weberwang. So the CIC officer was not digging through your work history and asking lots of questions related to travel or work?

Thanks.

weberwang

Jan 18, 2013
They only ask simple question about work and travel, but did not dig into details.
All my prepared stuff did not get a chance to be presented.

tst

Star Member
Aug 21, 2012
weberwang said:
Hi all,
I went to the test yesterday, I actually prepared a lot of stuff to approve I'm a good citizen candidate (have a job and pay tax). I even prepare a applogy letter to point out my careless typo, and a new calculate sheet with the right date.

When I was called for the interview (everyone will be interviewed before the test), I brought out this right away, she found my original sheet and asked me where it is and I pointed out the wrong date, and she verified my signing date in the original main application form (CIT0002E) and had me changed the date in the original sheet with my initial beside.
I feel they did not notice my typo in their process and I think they did calculate residency themself based on the signing date/lading date in the CIT0002E and the outside canada date in that residence calculate sheet.
If they only looked at the residence calculator and did not notice my typo, my case will be rejected right away, I guess.

Anyway, after that she started to verify every single stamp in my passport and mark it in my original residence calculator sheet and ended the interview soon after.

That's about it.

Now I'm waiting the next letter from CIC, hope it's a oath notice not a RQ.

Weber
Hey Weberwang,
I told you dont worry, now you will get oath letter for sure..
You are lucky.....

amimonga

Jan 28, 2013
Hi Guys,

I made a similar mistake. I have my test tomorrow and am very worried. I have 1300 days of presence in Canada but forgot to include a 3 day absence on my residency calculation. Should I upfront inform the officer at the test? Any likelihood of issues?

chinoy99

Nov 20, 2010
Halifax
Category........
Visa Office......
Islamabad, Pakistan
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-10-2001
AOR Received.
12-11-2001
IELTS Request
31-08-2004
Med's Request
22-11-2005
Med's Done....
05-12-2005
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
04-04-2006
VISA ISSUED...
22-04-2006
LANDED..........
24-05-2006
Hi Weber:
Keep checking your online application status as they will intimate you about your oath letter on their website. Good Luck.

You handled the situation very professional and since it was a genuine error, the immigration official was satisfied. Also, yes you are quite correct, they do check your passport thoroughly and look for entry / exist stamps and ask general questions about where you reside and about your job.

I am sure you will get the oath letter pretty soon. Stay well my friend.

Ken