+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

F1 IN USA WANTS TO VISIT WIFE ON STUDY PERMIT IN CANADA FOR PMM ONLY

dream_canada

Oct 7, 2006
HI PMM,

I am on F1 visa in usa and would be finishing my studies in december 2006, my wife is on study permit in canada till dec 2008, i have no interest in staying in USA after finishing my studies in dec 2006. I am planning to get visitor visa for canada in november and to join my wife in later december this year. I have following questions,

1) Should i apply for a visitor visa with an intent of living with my wife till 2008 or i should apply with a reason of visiting my wife during thanksgiving break (nearest consulate is detroit), please advise which could be a better deal at this stage in terms of assurance of getting visa.
2) Once i land in canada on visitor visa for supposedly sixmonths, can i apply for extension of stay or workpermit ( I being spouse of foreign full time student) right away, would my reason visiting canada for thanksgiving may cause any trouble while changing the status either for work or visitor visa.
3) I (secondary applicant) and my wife (principal) are intersted in filing immigration under skilled worker class, does my application of extension of stay or work get effected if i made such application after filing for immigration.
4) since i being secondary applicant on immigration application, can i leave canada and re-enter having filed immigration at buffalo.

I would highly appreciate your reply since i trust in you. Thanks for your time

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

dream_canada said:
HI PMM,

I am on F1 visa in usa and would be finishing my studies in december 2006, my wife is on study permit in canada till dec 2008, i have no interest in staying in USA after finishing my studies in dec 2006. I am planning to get visitor visa for canada in november and to join my wife in later december this year. I have following questions,

1) Should i apply for a visitor visa with an intent of living with my wife till 2008 or i should apply with a reason of visiting my wife during thanksgiving break (nearest consulate is detroit), please advise which could be a better deal at this stage in terms of assurance of getting visa.

Assuming you require a TRV, apply for a multiple entry one, ensure that you include your marriage certificate, proof of funds to maintain yourself, copy of your wife's study permit. If the TRV is granted, then when you enter Canada as a visitor you can request 6 months. Depending on your nationality you may require a medical. So don't wait apply early, ensure that you let the CHC know that your schooling finishes in December.

2) Once i land in canada on visitor visa for supposedly sixmonths, can i apply for extension of stay or workpermit ( I being spouse of foreign full time student) right away, would my reason visiting canada for thanksgiving may cause any trouble while changing the status either for work or visitor visa.

Since thanksgiving is Oct 9th in Canada, I really wouldn't try using that as a reason to visit. Once you are admitted to Canada as a visitor you can apply for an open work permit to Vegreville. As long as your spouse is attending a degree granting school.

3) I (secondary applicant) and my wife (principal) are intersted in filing immigration under skilled worker class, does my application of extension of stay or work get effected if i made such application after filing for immigration.

No.

4) since i being secondary applicant on immigration application, can i leave canada and re-enter having filed immigration at buffalo.

Your wife, if she is the principal and was ADMITTED to Canada for year, can either file your application at Buffalo or your home country. You should check http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/department/times-int/02a-skilled-fed.html for previous processing tmes, they are getting longer. If an interview is required does your spouse have a US visitor visa, if not and an interview is required, the US will not usually issue one to attend interview, your application will be in jeporady as Buffalo will not transfer files.

PMM

dream_canada

Oct 7, 2006
FOR PMM ONLY

Thanks very much PMM, would u please confirm me that can i apply for a longer duration of visa at detroit consulate since my wife has valid study permit till dec 2008 or applying for visitor visa for 6 months is a better option right now in terms of assurance of getting visa. As we thought its thanksgiving in US in november last week and i have holidays so i should mention this reason in my application and she should in her letter of invitation, if this is not a good reason then what could be possibly a better reason to get a longer duration of TRV or six months of assured TRV for canada from detoit based on my situation.

since the jeopardy situation you described as US usually dont issue visa to attend interview at buffalo, but if my wife can get a visitor visa to attend my graduation party in december 2006, no matter it will be granted for only 6 months, but would it be comparatively easier for her to get a visitor visa roughly after 2 years at the time of interview since she had a previous visitor visa and left the country lawfully (how ever the reason to visit us would be a different reason than interview)

I would highly appreciate

dream_canada

Oct 7, 2006
FOR PMM ONLY

dream_canada said:
HI PMM,