+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Extremely sad and demotivated.

TECC_Seneca

Jul 18, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Guys I just read up all your posts and it really gives a great insight to a newcomers to Canada. Thank you all! I have applied for the Technical Communication Graduate Certificate at Seneca after having worked in India for 4+ years. I have applied for the Visa and right now in state of limbo waiting, hoping to hear something good.
If at all I'm in, all I wanna say is that, I'm really not coming with a hunky-dory journey in mind. I'm coming with an open mind despite of all the things I heard from people. I'm taking a huge risk specially financially, however, I'm coming with the mindset to make the risk worthy!
Wish all the best to all you folks! :)

XYZ User

Star Member
Feb 25, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
TECC_Seneca said:
Guys I just read up all your posts and it really gives a great insight to a newcomers to Canada. Thank you all! I have applied for the Technical Communication Graduate Certificate at Seneca after having worked in India for 4+ years. I have applied for the Visa and right now in state of limbo waiting, hoping to hear something good.
If at all I'm in, all I wanna say is that, I'm really not coming with a hunky-dory journey in mind. I'm coming with an open mind despite of all the things I heard from people. I'm taking a huge risk specially financially, however, I'm coming with the mindset to make the risk worthy!
Wish all the best to all you folks! :)
Agree.. come with no expectations .. and work hard .. then wait and watch :)

sabby2612

Mar 14, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello All,

As I have said it in couple of my threads, grass on the other side is always greener until you actually land on the other side of grass. Having said that, it's not even like hell here, there are chances to grasp, there are opportunities to grab.
There is a door of success here in Canada too! The only difference is, nobody is waiting to open it for you, you got to open it yourself. Yes, rightly said by XYZ, come with no expectation, I would rather say come expecting the worst, so anything good will be a pleasure.

Now, talking about programs, although I have usually criticized diploma/certificate programs, but it doesn't mean I know nobody who achieved success. For that matter, even in Humber, in IT programs, I have met a couple of people securing good jobs and I personally know a guy who completed IBM one year program and he is a Team Lead with a leading phone service provider which makes him fall in NOC B (63) category and makes him eligible to apply for PR. Of course, likewise our home countries, opportunities around here aren't those many to grab, but there, so hard work, good grades and NETWORKING really helps one to become successful.

Co-op is certainly a good option as you get a chance to work with a Canadian (that too a good company) employer, now let it be even for 4 months, yet it adds value to your CV. I met a black guy (not trying to be racist here, he is my friend now), has done Master's from Ottawa in Economics and yet no job. Hence, Master's, PG diploma or CO-op nothing guarantees a job.

If one is not comfortable stepping out his comfort zone, better don't land here else you will really just curse everything.

Best of luck!

Cheers!!

TECC_Seneca

Jul 18, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
@Sabby2621: What are you doing currently and which country are you from?

isabell.L

Star Member
Jul 12, 2013
This is life, we will always meet people who like to talk something to turn you down...but...Who cares?

Just work hard and enjoy your life in Canada. ;)

Anil K

Star Member
Jun 4, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
hi
many here said that
they r in co-op program in centennial college

but my councilor and centennial clg representative said that they r not giving direct co-op offer letter and we need to write some exam and qualify in it then only we will be eligible for co-op
is it true
and is that exam hard?
and when will it be head (as soon as we arrive canada or admitted in clg program
or after 1 sem or before the co-op term)
and what will be the syllabus (related to our previous study or related to the course of study in 1st sem in the clg)

itstime

Jul 8, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I start Humber media school and I'm doing an Advance diploma. I know people who have graduated the same program and transferred to the Bachelors. Pretty much all of their classmates have work in their field. Those who don't either quit before graduation or decided after graduation that it wasn't for them. Some students in the past in my program have gone on to win awards. My program has a mandatory 160 hrs of work placement and most receive a full time offer during their internship.

Humber is a college, not a University. Humber is striving to be upgraded to University level and that is one of the reasons why they welcome a lot of international students. Being popular with international students is good with the University boards. They also work hard to prepare their graduates to the world outside college, the one called reality. Successful students is good for Humber.

And the reality is this: If you think that you will be served an education on a silver platter, graduate and be offered high paying jobs straight out of school, you are sadly wrong and in for a major shock. If you think that during your studies you will be able to work full time and earn loads of money, you are wrong. If you work on campus, the college restricts you to 24 hours per week. When you are allowed to work off campus, immigration restricts you to 20hrs per week during semesters and full time during summers. Those rules aren't there to make you fail. Those rules are there to help you succeed. I have 21 hours of classtime per week. For every hour spent in class it is estimated that you have to spend 3 hours revising, studying and completing assignments. Add it all up and that is 84 hours of studying per week. That is more than TWICE the hours of a full time job. Add another 24 hours of on campus work and you're up in 108 hours. A week only has 168 hours. That leaves me 60 hrs per week (or 8.5 hrs per day) to sleep , eat, relax, sleep, go to the gym, see friends, sleep, go to the movies, watch TV, sleep. Did I mention sleep?

I went to Humber's open day and to Ryerson's. The difference between the two? Ryerson was all about namedropping, patronising, and "we're so bloody good you should kiss our shoes" mentality on most of the faculty I met. Humber was all about advice, asking what I wanted, what my goals were, where I wanted to be in life, what they can do for me, how they will prepare me for the future. Now, those of you saying Humber is money grabbing, check this out. Humber adviced me to NOT go for the Bachelor's program. They would make more money out of me if I did as it is 4 years and the advance diploma is 3 and it is more expensive per year (I believe). Humber adviced me that for MY chosen path and goals, the advance diploma would be a better choice for me.

Humber told me what they can do for me. Ryerson wanted me to tell them what I could do for them and why I would make them look good. Strangely enough, a friend of mine went to Ryerson for an interview when he applied, and this is going back to the 80's now. He said they were exactly the same then. He pulled his application. He went to Seneca (or Centennal, I can't remember) and has had a very successful career.

YOU set your future with how seriously you take your studies. YOU set your future by how you handle your life AFTER graduation.

sabby2612

Mar 14, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
itstime said:
I start Humber media school and I'm doing an Advance diploma. I know people who have graduated the same program and transferred to the Bachelors. Pretty much all of their classmates have work in their field. Those who don't either quit before graduation or decided after graduation that it wasn't for them. Some students in the past in my program have gone on to win awards. My program has a mandatory 160 hrs of work placement and most receive a full time offer during their internship.

Humber is a college, not a University. Humber is striving to be upgraded to University level and that is one of the reasons why they welcome a lot of international students. Being popular with international students is good with the University boards. They also work hard to prepare their graduates to the world outside college, the one called reality. Successful students is good for Humber.

And the reality is this: If you think that you will be served an education on a silver platter, graduate and be offered high paying jobs straight out of school, you are sadly wrong and in for a major shock. If you think that during your studies you will be able to work full time and earn loads of money, you are wrong. If you work on campus, the college restricts you to 24 hours per week. When you are allowed to work off campus, immigration restricts you to 20hrs per week during semesters and full time during summers. Those rules aren't there to make you fail. Those rules are there to help you succeed. I have 21 hours of classtime per week. For every hour spent in class it is estimated that you have to spend 3 hours revising, studying and completing assignments. Add it all up and that is 84 hours of studying per week. That is more than TWICE the hours of a full time job. Add another 24 hours of on campus work and you're up in 108 hours. A week only has 168 hours. That leaves me 60 hrs per week (or 8.5 hrs per day) to sleep , eat, relax, sleep, go to the gym, see friends, sleep, go to the movies, watch TV, sleep. Did I mention sleep?

I went to Humber's open day and to Ryerson's. The difference between the two? Ryerson was all about namedropping, patronising, and "we're so bloody good you should kiss our shoes" mentality on most of the faculty I met. Humber was all about advice, asking what I wanted, what my goals were, where I wanted to be in life, what they can do for me, how they will prepare me for the future. Now, those of you saying Humber is money grabbing, check this out. Humber adviced me to NOT go for the Bachelor's program. They would make more money out of me if I did as it is 4 years and the advance diploma is 3 and it is more expensive per year (I believe). Humber adviced me that for MY chosen path and goals, the advance diploma would be a better choice for me.

Humber told me what they can do for me. Ryerson wanted me to tell them what I could do for them and why I would make them look good. Strangely enough, a friend of mine went to Ryerson for an interview when he applied, and this is going back to the 80's now. He said they were exactly the same then. He pulled his application. He went to Seneca (or Centennal, I can't remember) and has had a very successful career.

YOU set your future with how seriously you take your studies. YOU set your future by how you handle your life AFTER graduation.

Well said. +1 for you Lad. Some years back, I had a very bad image of Humber which during last couple of years have improved (only by knowing the ground realities, meeting the real people having done study at Humber) and yes not all can achieve success otherwise will be difficult to define success. It's meant for Hardworking, Dedicated people.

Cheers!

singh-ak

Sep 18, 2013
vinaymor01 said:
I am attending humber this fall for IT solutions,Guys i am kinda demotivated and sad. I called one of my fathers friend to receive me at the airport at toronto but he lives in vancover. Now the problem is that, he has said some bizzard stuff, he told me that here colleges fail students because they want fees from them. Told me you cannot earn even 1 semester fee on your own. People especially students go back to india because they find it extremely diffcult to exist here.

He said in punjabi, ethe tan meim aap security guard lageya hoya, bacheyan da tan ithe bahut bura haal va, rulde firde ne, ithe na ayo, ithe badde fake agent ne te india vaang ithe dukaanan banaiyan hoiyan ne bacheyan toh fees thagan layi, bacheyan nu fail kr dende ne taki oh fees bhari jaan.

I am scared and i feel kinda bad. What will be the use of a certificate once i complete my studies.
:( :( extremely pissed. Hate it.
Hey buddy now that you have landed in canada and been in humber and this course for almost a year how do you feel?

Do you feel what your uncle said was right or wrong?