28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
XYZ User said:
Would that mean that there is a guaranteed job for students with masters degree ?
No - there is no guarantee.

vinaymor01

Apr 22, 2013
sabby2612 said:
I do not deny what he said and do not completely agree either. Yes, the fact is, things here aren't that greener as people assume before landing here. It's very important what course and college/uni you join (specifically course). Diploma/certificate courses are indeed a money making tool for colleges (pvt or be it public funded/govt). Usually these courses do not fetch you a job relevant to your profile (not talking about a good job, even an entry level job in your respective field). Having said that, it doesn't mean nobody gets a job at all, some people do. So the question is, who does and how? well of course good grades are required, but then networking, knowing people, good terms with your professors and bit of luck can get one a good job. Yes its true majority of such students end up working in odd jobs and look for other ways to get PR.

In my opinion, students who are eligible, should apply for master's program as it has more value and respect. In fact some PNP programs offer direct PR for master's program without even a job in hand. One year diploma/certificate gets you only one year PGWP which I think isn't good enough.

Another factor to consider (which is very difficult to action) is, after completing of your studies, if you do not find a good decent job (specifically relevant to your profile), do not end up doing other jobs just for the sake of money, better move to your respective country and look for jobs. For example, if you have pursued advance diploma in Networking or development, companies like Norton, Adobe, Dell, Microsoft can hire you considering your foreign studies. Now, why I am suggesting this option is, everyone must pay attention to this, well the fact is, if you think of recovering the study and living cost you incurred in Canada before you move back to your country, It will be too late. Good companies won't consider you because of irrelevant experience. You are a btech grad, of course you know it that even in India, after completing B.tech, if you do not join a company for a year or two or work in a different industry - you are out of IT industry mate.

Yes your uncle is right about people doing odd jobs, I have a friend here, has done b.tech in bio technology from a reputed college in India and has scored good grades. completed advance diploma in environment science (which not many colleges/uni offer in Canada or for that matter even in India) and is working as security guard.

Now, this is not to demotivate anyone, but to prepare you mentally so that you make your plans and arrangements accordingly.

Humber is not a bad choice at all, program you have selected is also good. This program is a newly added program to Humber's programs. This two year program will fetch you three years work permit which is good to hunt for a good job. Now, though I am sure you are well aware, this program is specifically for people looking for a career in software development precisely.

About colleges failing students, well that's not at all true. Fact is, Teaching pattern here in Canada is good, and exams aren't that tough but yes it requires preparation, dedication, hard work. So don't worry, if have taken a step forward, don't take it back. Just be well prepared with ground realities. A battle is half won when you are well prepared.

Now about earning while you study, you can easily earn 1000 bucks a month by doing part time job after finishing first 6 months of study( that's when you can apply for off campus work permit). Of course you should be ready for odd jobs and here people really don't look at jobs as Indians, Paki's and other's look at such as working at Tim Horton, or Burger King or may be some factory. Job is a job.

Hope it helps you with both sides of coin.

Cheers!
I would have got admission to the universities too, but comparing the course structures of the university masters and humber's IT solutions, I found this course with more exposure to different technologies (Industry oriented), So I thought it ll be better to go for this course as Bachelors didn't help me develop any industry oriented skills. I came out of my bachelors with zero skills, just some theoretical concepts that is not required anywhere. I am regretting if I have taken a wrong step at this.

And, about coming back, I don't think so my certificate program will have any value in India, after all its a CERTIFICATE, not a degree, MNC's criteria are different for interviews. They wont even allow or consider it. (I didn't thought that way obviously, that i ll be coming back, looking for job in India while I was applying, I might have been over positive at that time). :'(

vinaymor01

Apr 22, 2013
cussyandrew said:
Frist off, It will become nearly a year to me in Canada, so I know how things work here.

Secondly, I am a student at Humber, just finished my first semester, (BA-Accounting), my overall course average is ~93% they DO NOT want to fail you, all my professors were EXTREMELY accommodating to students, especially the weaker ones.

that was just to put things in perspective, now

For whatever reason family members here tend to be jealous and put you down here in Canada, I dont know why but they are EXTREMELY un-supportive. My dads whole family is here, before my coming, they made Canada seem as this sort of wonderland, but when the reality hits, it hits you hard, no one will help you-it is all up to you- if you come with this mindset you will be much better off.
You have to keep in mind from day one that you are going to be independent and dont depend or ask favors from anyone, because, trust me, you will have to hear about it for months on end. Try to get used to the transit system of your area ASAP so you dont have to depend on ppl picking and dropping you.

As for Jobs, doesnt matter if youre MBA qualified, MBBS or a Diploma Holder, you HAVE to work HARD. I know ppl here who have done courses but are still taxi drivers, the reason for that is they didnt make an effort to get a job, they are happy and feel safe in their minimum wage jobs and dont want to move further. A diploma or degree is NO guarantee of a job, you have to start as an intern and work your way up. DO AS MUCH VOLUNTEER WORK AS YOU CAN, you dont get paid but it helps a ton in networking, and you will need those references for later- TRUST ME on this.

Its a symptom with North America in general, they may say they will, but in reality they dont give a crap about your FOREIGN degrees and diplomas, YOU NEED TO HAVE STUDIED SOMETHING FROM HERE in order to be successful. So you have started off on the right path.

Again, I want to stress, It is not an easy life in Canada, especially for the first 6 months when you dont have a work permit, but its is not impossible, just remain focused and work hard. The rest will sort itself out.

Im from Pakistan btw :)
Thanks, Doesn't matter where are you from :) I know it ll be hard. I am already so messed up that some agents on facebook are forcing me to change my course and go to centennial, saying networking is in demand and IT has no value. Saying humber is full of people with a mindset to complete the course at be truck drivers. I am hating all this and above this, the relatives say "ethe tan bacheyan da bahut bura haal hai, becahre rulde firde ne..."

vinaymor01

Apr 22, 2013
LinktoCan said:
Don't worry you will be fine. Don't listen to your relative and don't even ask or expect anything from them while you are in Canada. Colleges won't fail you for no reason. I come to Canada as a student too and did fine with my studies and now i am settled in Canada with a good job in my own field. I too have lot of relatives who are living in Canada and never asked for there help and i lived by myself and use to study in the morning and worked in the evening. I have recently seen students coming to Canada thinking of only work in there mind and doesn't or hardly go to college, well in this case yes you will fail your college and will be hard to get a PR too. Students in some cases also end up getting low grades and it becomes difficult for them to get a job in there field too, so the end up in jobs like driving truck or security guard jobs. Again this is not colleges fault, this is what students choose to do and end up in *censored word*ty jobs.

If you relative is that upset with his job, why don't he go back to India? Reason he knows Canada is one of the best country in the world to live and work. Don't get upset and demotivated and tell your relative that you are coming to Canada and you will be fine.
Good to hear that students are getting settled after all studying from colleges. Thanks. I don't know why I am panicked. Yes, May be I have put a lot of things on line just to go and get settled in Canada other than just money. Never knew the ground reality. I had thought that students going to Australia face problems as it was considered that huge rush of students are already there, Canada seems way too ahead in this matter now.

Ischaan

Star Member
Jul 18, 2013
NAVI MUMBAI
Category........
Visa Office......
CHC-New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19th August 2013
IELTS Request
7 overall
Med's Request
8th July
Med's Done....
10th July
VISA ISSUED...
27th August
LANDED..........
31st August
It really scares da hell out of me...wen I hear such things..may god give strength to all of us...

cussyandrew

Feb 13, 2012
Islamabad
Visa Office......
CHC Islamabad
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-12-2011
IELTS Request
waived
Med's Request
23-07-2012
Med's Done....
01-08-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
02-08-2012
VISA ISSUED...
24-08-2012
LANDED..........
14-09-2012
vinaymor01 said:
I would have got admission to the universities too, but comparing the course structures of the university masters and humber's IT solutions, I found this course with more exposure to different technologies (Industry oriented), So I thought it ll be better to go for this course as Bachelors didn't help me develop any industry oriented skills. I came out of my bachelors with zero skills, just some theoretical concepts that is not required anywhere. I am regretting if I have taken a wrong step at this.

And, about coming back, I don't think so my certificate program will have any value in India, after all its a CERTIFICATE, not a degree, MNC's criteria are different for interviews. They wont even allow or consider it. (I didn't thought that way obviously, that i ll be coming back, looking for job in India while I was applying, I might have been over positive at that time). :'(
to be honest, a lot of degree holders are opting for diplomas these day, reason being that degree holders have a WIDE area of knowledge, while diploma holders have a very SPECIFIC skill set. My cousin is doing his bachelors in Business Admin, while I'm doing the Advanced Diploma in Bus Admin, while majoring in accounting. He is in his second last semester while I just finished my first. I can say without a doubt that my knowledge of finance and accounting is wayyyyyy ahead oh his. While he is stuck doing Calculus, im doing Bank Reconciliations. Diplomas, I have noticed are way more grounded and have more emphasis on the "practical" applications of things.
Point is, if you are an employer would you want someone who knows a little of everything, or a lot about one thing, the one thing you want to hire them for. Another fact is that a degree holder will usually want a higher starting salary that a diploma holder. At the end of the day if you know what you are doing and plan it out carefully, you should be set. Diplomas are not as useless as people seem to think they are.
As for the colleges, man, all the colleges Centennial, Humber, Sheridan, Seneca, GB, they are ALL THE SAME, only difference will be in the faculty and staff. There is no difference in the recognition they have as they are are all funded by the government.

vinaymor01

Apr 22, 2013
cussyandrew said:
to be honest, a lot of degree holders are opting for diplomas these day, reason being that degree holders have a WIDE area of knowledge, while diploma holders have a very SPECIFIC skill set. My cousin is doing his bachelors in Business Admin, while I'm doing the Advanced Diploma in Bus Admin, while majoring in accounting. He is in his second last semester while I just finished my first. I can say without a doubt that my knowledge of finance and accounting is wayyyyyy ahead oh his. While he is stuck doing Calculus, im doing Bank Reconciliations. Diplomas, I have noticed are way more grounded and have more emphasis on the "practical" applications of things.
Point is, if you are an employer would you want someone who knows a little of everything, or a lot about one thing, the one thing you want to hire them for. Another fact is that a degree holder will usually want a higher starting salary that a diploma holder. At the end of the day if you know what you are doing and plan it out carefully, you should be set. Diplomas are not as useless as people seem to think they are.
As for the colleges, man, all the colleges Centennial, Humber, Sheridan, Seneca, GB, they are ALL THE SAME, only difference will be in the faculty and staff. There is no difference in the recognition they have as they are are all funded by the government.
That is the main difference, the staff and faculty. I am more scared of the fact that will teachers put in the effort for international students ?? Or we are just money banks for them? Will they teach better than we have had teachers here in india during our bachelors?

vinaymor01

Apr 22, 2013
Ischaan said:
It really scares da hell out of me...wen I hear such things..may god give strength to all of us...
Its true, I am scared too. Investing money, leaving jobs in our home countries, expecting better careers, better jobs etc and all i get to hear is that we are just money banks for colleges who are actually govt./publicly funded. Indeed pressurized, will work hard, want to get better but all I am worried about is whether college study will fetch any interviews at least or we ll be completely side lined once we are done with our studies? I have opted for certificate programs just because I was not able to get much skills during my bachelors here in India from a much reputed institute and in greed to develop skills I chose this course and right now, I am pissed too. Thanks to some people already there in Canada who claim to be relatives but doesn't give a damn. I ll handle this situation. But career wise I have no idea what I ll be provided at humber and later on after course completion.

I feel, why I have taken this panga, I had a job with Accenture here. No turning back, I am in a loop. I appreciate the people who have commented in this thread.

vinaymor01

Apr 22, 2013
I really appreciate the people who have replied and explained through their experiences. One thing more, I hate these consultants who are merely using students and continuously messaging and irritating the hell out of me. These are the words, "Humber ch tan desi ne, je padna hai tan centennial jao, uthe admission lao, placements ne course mukande hi...ethe koi padhyai nai hai...aah course di tan value hi nai hai , na co-op na work placement. Total waste of money and energy. We are telling you to invest in a better future, we care for you. " and then....I get demotivated. :-\

sabby2612

Mar 14, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
vinaymor01 said:
I really appreciate the people who have replied and explained through their experiences. One thing more, I hate these consultants who are merely using students and continuously messaging and irritating the hell out of me. These are the words, "Humber ch tan desi ne, je padna hai tan centennial jao, uthe admission lao, placements ne course mukande hi...ethe koi padhyai nai hai...aah course di tan value hi nai hai , na co-op na work placement. Total waste of money and energy. We are telling you to invest in a better future, we care for you. " and then....I get demotivated. :-\
Check your inbox.

Ischaan

Star Member
Jul 18, 2013
NAVI MUMBAI
Category........
Visa Office......
CHC-New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19th August 2013
IELTS Request
7 overall
Med's Request
8th July
Med's Done....
10th July
VISA ISSUED...
27th August
LANDED..........
31st August
vinaymor01 said:
Its true, I am scared too. Investing money, leaving jobs in our home countries, expecting better careers, better jobs etc and all i get to hear is that we are just money banks for colleges who are actually govt./publicly funded. Indeed pressurized, will work hard, want to get better but all I am worried about is whether college study will fetch any interviews at least or we ll be completely side lined once we are done with our studies? I have opted for certificate programs just because I was not able to get much skills during my bachelors here in India from a much reputed institute and in greed to develop skills I chose this course and right now, I am pissed too. Thanks to some people already there in Canada who claim to be relatives but doesn't give a damn. I ll handle this situation. But career wise I have no idea what I ll be provided at humber and later on after course completion.

I feel, why I have taken this panga, I had a job with Accenture here. No turning back, I am in a loop. I appreciate the people who have commented in this thread.
same thing wid me yaar....I hv invested so much money in dis(v all hv invested) and den also if I hv to come back dat would be very difficult and depressing. One of my Uncles son came back from UK after doin masters and working for 3 years in his field.. den also his visa didn't got extended...nw he is demoralized and ask his father to find him a job.... we have to work hard der is no denying in dat. Even I was working in ThyssenKrupp india....but didn't liked da job so I left it. But dis won't be da option in Canada.....overder any job will be da grace of god.......and atleast I would accept it.....

XYZ User

Star Member
Feb 25, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Guys.. does anyone know if there is the concept of campus placements in Canada ? I know its not in humber .. but heard that gbc has it ? Is that so ?

Ischaan

Star Member
Jul 18, 2013
NAVI MUMBAI
Category........
Visa Office......
CHC-New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19th August 2013
IELTS Request
7 overall
Med's Request
8th July
Med's Done....
10th July
VISA ISSUED...
27th August
LANDED..........
31st August
XYZ User said:
Guys.. does anyone know if there is the concept of campus placements in Canada ? I know its not in humber .. but heard that gbc has it ? Is that so ?
I really don't think dey hv......I talked to the representative of centennial collg. dey told me if der is some opening for students, dey send da student to the company.......

vinaymor01

Apr 22, 2013
I guess we ll have to check each college for at least once before attending it. Talking to the seniors, representatives and faculty might help us out and solve some of our questions.