+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Extremely sad and demotivated.

vinaymor01

Apr 22, 2013
I am attending humber this fall for IT solutions,Guys i am kinda demotivated and sad. I called one of my fathers friend to receive me at the airport at toronto but he lives in vancover. Now the problem is that, he has said some bizzard stuff, he told me that here colleges fail students because they want fees from them. Told me you cannot earn even 1 semester fee on your own. People especially students go back to india because they find it extremely diffcult to exist here.

He said in punjabi, ethe tan meim aap security guard lageya hoya, bacheyan da tan ithe bahut bura haal va, rulde firde ne, ithe na ayo, ithe badde fake agent ne te india vaang ithe dukaanan banaiyan hoiyan ne bacheyan toh fees thagan layi, bacheyan nu fail kr dende ne taki oh fees bhari jaan.

I am scared and i feel kinda bad. What will be the use of a certificate once i complete my studies.
:( :( extremely pissed. Hate it.

jassi2313

Star Member
Jul 22, 2013
now u r studying in humber or u r applying .....

In when we go away from our home then we always face many up dows life is full of these... ur uncle said bad things this is not reality college not fails good students my friend is in umber is all clear ....... Dont on it n main thing HEAR EVERY ONE DO WHT U WANT.....

BE +ve

sabby2612

Mar 14, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
vinaymor01 said:
I am attending humber this fall for IT solutions,Guys i am kinda demotivated and sad. I called one of my fathers friend to receive me at the airport at toronto but he lives in vancover. Now the problem is that, he has said some bizzard stuff, he told me that here colleges fail students because they want fees from them. Told me you cannot earn even 1 semester fee on your own. People especially students go back to india because they find it extremely diffcult to exist here.

He said in punjabi, ethe tan meim aap security guard lageya hoya, bacheyan da tan ithe bahut bura haal va, rulde firde ne, ithe na ayo, ithe badde fake agent ne te india vaang ithe dukaanan banaiyan hoiyan ne bacheyan toh fees thagan layi, bacheyan nu fail kr dende ne taki oh fees bhari jaan.

I am scared and i feel kinda bad. What will be the use of a certificate once i complete my studies.
:( :( extremely pissed. Hate it.
I do not deny what he said and do not completely agree either. Yes, the fact is, things here aren't that greener as people assume before landing here. It's very important what course and college/uni you join (specifically course). Diploma/certificate courses are indeed a money making tool for colleges (pvt or be it public funded/govt). Usually these courses do not fetch you a job relevant to your profile (not talking about a good job, even an entry level job in your respective field). Having said that, it doesn't mean nobody gets a job at all, some people do. So the question is, who does and how? well of course good grades are required, but then networking, knowing people, good terms with your professors and bit of luck can get one a good job. Yes its true majority of such students end up working in odd jobs and look for other ways to get PR.

In my opinion, students who are eligible, should apply for master's program as it has more value and respect. In fact some PNP programs offer direct PR for master's program without even a job in hand. One year diploma/certificate gets you only one year PGWP which I think isn't good enough.

Another factor to consider (which is very difficult to action) is, after completing of your studies, if you do not find a good decent job (specifically relevant to your profile), do not end up doing other jobs just for the sake of money, better move to your respective country and look for jobs. For example, if you have pursued advance diploma in Networking or development, companies like Norton, Adobe, Dell, Microsoft can hire you considering your foreign studies. Now, why I am suggesting this option is, everyone must pay attention to this, well the fact is, if you think of recovering the study and living cost you incurred in Canada before you move back to your country, It will be too late. Good companies won't consider you because of irrelevant experience. You are a btech grad, of course you know it that even in India, after completing B.tech, if you do not join a company for a year or two or work in a different industry - you are out of IT industry mate.

Yes your uncle is right about people doing odd jobs, I have a friend here, has done b.tech in bio technology from a reputed college in India and has scored good grades. completed advance diploma in environment science (which not many colleges/uni offer in Canada or for that matter even in India) and is working as security guard.

Now, this is not to demotivate anyone, but to prepare you mentally so that you make your plans and arrangements accordingly.

Humber is not a bad choice at all, program you have selected is also good. This program is a newly added program to Humber's programs. This two year program will fetch you three years work permit which is good to hunt for a good job. Now, though I am sure you are well aware, this program is specifically for people looking for a career in software development precisely.

About colleges failing students, well that's not at all true. Fact is, Teaching pattern here in Canada is good, and exams aren't that tough but yes it requires preparation, dedication, hard work. So don't worry, if have taken a step forward, don't take it back. Just be well prepared with ground realities. A battle is half won when you are well prepared.

Now about earning while you study, you can easily earn 1000 bucks a month by doing part time job after finishing first 6 months of study( that's when you can apply for off campus work permit). Of course you should be ready for odd jobs and here people really don't look at jobs as Indians, Paki's and other's look at such as working at Tim Horton, or Burger King or may be some factory. Job is a job.

Hope it helps you with both sides of coin.

Cheers!

mead

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-11-2012
Doc's Request.
28-11-2012
IELTS Request
n/a
Med's Request
n/a
Med's Done....
n/a
VISA ISSUED...
6-12-2012
sabby2612 said:
I do not deny what he said and do not completely agree either. Yes, the fact is, things here aren't that greener as people assume before landing here. It's very important what course and college/uni you join (specifically course). Diploma/certificate courses are indeed a money making tool for colleges (pvt or be it public funded/govt). Usually these courses do not fetch you a job relevant to your profile (not talking about a good job, even an entry level job in your respective field). Having said that, it doesn't mean nobody gets a job at all, some people do. So the question is, who does and how? well of course good grades are required, but then networking, knowing people, good terms with your professors and bit of luck can get one a good job. Yes its true majority of such students end up working in odd jobs and look for other ways to get PR.

In my opinion, students who are eligible, should apply for master's program as it has more value and respect. In fact some PNP programs offer direct PR for master's program without even a job in hand. One year diploma/certificate gets you only one year PGWP which I think isn't good enough.

Another factor to consider (which is very difficult to action) is, after completing of your studies, if you do not find a good decent job (specifically relevant to your profile), do not end up doing other jobs just for the sake of money, better move to your respective country and look for jobs. For example, if you have pursued advance diploma in Networking or development, companies like Norton, Adobe, Dell, Microsoft can hire you considering your foreign studies. Now, why I am suggesting this option is, everyone must pay attention to this, well the fact is, if you think of recovering the study and living cost you incurred in Canada before you move back to your country, It will be too late. Good companies won't consider you because of irrelevant experience. You are a btech grad, of course you know it that even in India, after completing B.tech, if you do not join a company for a year or two or work in a different industry - you are out of IT industry mate.

Yes your uncle is right about people doing odd jobs, I have a friend here, has done b.tech in bio technology from a reputed college in India and has scored good grades. completed advance diploma in environment science (which not many colleges/uni offer in Canada or for that matter even in India) and is working as security guard.

Now, this is not to demotivate anyone, but to prepare you mentally so that you make your plans and arrangements accordingly.

Humber is not a bad choice at all, program you have selected is also good. This program is a newly added program to Humber's programs. This two year program will fetch you three years work permit which is good to hunt for a good job. Now, though I am sure you are well aware, this program is specifically for people looking for a career in software development precisely.

About colleges failing students, well that's not at all true. Fact is, Teaching pattern here in Canada is good, and exams aren't that tough but yes it requires preparation, dedication, hard work. So don't worry, if have taken a step forward, don't take it back. Just be well prepared with ground realities. A battle is half won when you are well prepared.

Now about earning while you study, you can easily earn 1000 bucks a month by doing part time job after finishing first 6 months of study( that's when you can apply for off campus work permit). Of course you should be ready for odd jobs and here people really don't look at jobs as Indians, Paki's and other's look at such as working at Tim Horton, or Burger King or may be some factory. Job is a job.

Hope it helps you with both sides of coin.

Cheers!
very well said......+1
i agree its not as people expect it to be.....

Herumb

Star Member
Jul 28, 2013
Visa Office......
Banglore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-12-2014
IELTS Request
LANDED..........
Hope to land soon
One of my friend did Diploma in Business Administration from Humber College ..and now he is a truck driver in sasketchewan.. ::)

manoj babu

Jul 2, 2013
see the complete canada will be under you if you think that u can overcome whatever the issue is,be brave and face the situation,lot of people like me were rejected,you have chance to show what we are so be happy dude

ckckckck

Mar 2, 2013
Visa Office......
chandigarh
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
waitin!!!!! under general category
LANDED..........
hope i ll
manoj babu said:
see the complete canada will be under you if you think that u can overcome whatever the issue is,be brave and face the situation,lot of people like me were rejected,you have chance to show what we are so be happy dude
Nyc thought bro

vinaymor01

Apr 22, 2013
jassi2313 said:
now u r studying in humber or u r applying .....

In when we go away from our home then we always face many up dows life is full of these... ur uncle said bad things this is not reality college not fails good students my friend is in umber is all clear ....... Dont on it n main thing HEAR EVERY ONE DO WHT U WANT.....

BE +ve
I have my flight in a weeks time and its so disheartning that people say such words when you callfor help. I am attending humber.

mead

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-11-2012
Doc's Request.
28-11-2012
IELTS Request
n/a
Med's Request
n/a
Med's Done....
n/a
VISA ISSUED...
6-12-2012
vinaymor01 said:
I have my flight in a weeks time and its so disheartning that people say such words when you callfor help. I am attending humber.
well a little dose of reality is good....it helps u be better prepared and also u can make back up plans just in case....life is not as easy as everyone thinks ....now u will be prepared wont u? everyone thinks once u get visa ur done , thats not the case there a lot of difficulties but u can overcome them.....good luck for ur future

ravik75

Aug 6, 2013
Hi Vinay,

Don't get demotivated by short sighted comments, and don't bother your relatives by calling them for petty help. You are capable enough to take care of these logistics, if in need, u can ask for help around. You will find many hands that help as well. World is not that bad.

With regard to your job options, many times we compare our social situation with other countries whose social realities are different. Being a truck driver, one earns more than a white collar job in many parts of the world, and we must have dignity of labour, especially when we are living in totally different social set.
Off course, before applying for admission, you very well know that you will have to survive on your own for first 6 months, and if you are fit enough, you will automatically get integrated into the system, especially when you are hardworking and you know how to move ahead.

Even, if you do not get a good job after studying in Canada, your value will be more in India. Therefore, it is worth trying. While I suggest you to be careful about using your time in Canada, you must have conviction towards your goal and always feel good about what you do. You never go and fight with every dog who barks on the street.

Regards Ravi Kumar

XYZ User

Star Member
Feb 25, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Would that mean that there is a guaranteed job for students with masters degree ? Would someone pls give an approximate ratio that how many students passed out of humber get relevant jobs and how many end up in odd jobs ? Is it possible that even with three years of work permit , students can't find a good jobor for that matter , a job in their field ?

cussyandrew

Feb 13, 2012
Islamabad
Visa Office......
CHC Islamabad
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-12-2011
IELTS Request
waived
Med's Request
23-07-2012
Med's Done....
01-08-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
02-08-2012
VISA ISSUED...
24-08-2012
LANDED..........
14-09-2012
Frist off, It will become nearly a year to me in Canada, so I know how things work here.

Secondly, I am a student at Humber, just finished my first semester, (BA-Accounting), my overall course average is ~93% they DO NOT want to fail you, all my professors were EXTREMELY accommodating to students, especially the weaker ones.

that was just to put things in perspective, now

For whatever reason family members here tend to be jealous and put you down here in Canada, I dont know why but they are EXTREMELY un-supportive. My dads whole family is here, before my coming, they made Canada seem as this sort of wonderland, but when the reality hits, it hits you hard, no one will help you-it is all up to you- if you come with this mindset you will be much better off.
You have to keep in mind from day one that you are going to be independent and dont depend or ask favors from anyone, because, trust me, you will have to hear about it for months on end. Try to get used to the transit system of your area ASAP so you dont have to depend on ppl picking and dropping you.

As for Jobs, doesnt matter if youre MBA qualified, MBBS or a Diploma Holder, you HAVE to work HARD. I know ppl here who have done courses but are still taxi drivers, the reason for that is they didnt make an effort to get a job, they are happy and feel safe in their minimum wage jobs and dont want to move further. A diploma or degree is NO guarantee of a job, you have to start as an intern and work your way up. DO AS MUCH VOLUNTEER WORK AS YOU CAN, you dont get paid but it helps a ton in networking, and you will need those references for later- TRUST ME on this.

Its a symptom with North America in general, they may say they will, but in reality they dont give a crap about your FOREIGN degrees and diplomas, YOU NEED TO HAVE STUDIED SOMETHING FROM HERE in order to be successful. So you have started off on the right path.

Again, I want to stress, It is not an easy life in Canada, especially for the first 6 months when you dont have a work permit, but its is not impossible, just remain focused and work hard. The rest will sort itself out.

Im from Pakistan btw :)

Nandini09

Dec 4, 2012
cussyandrew said:
Frist off, It will become nearly a year to me in Canada, so I know how things work here.

Secondly, I am a student at Humber, just finished my first semester, (BA-Accounting), my overall course average is ~93% they DO NOT want to fail you, all my professors were EXTREMELY accommodating to students, especially the weaker ones.

that was just to put things in perspective, now

For whatever reason family members here tend to be jealous and put you down here in Canada, I dont know why but they are EXTREMELY un-supportive. My dads whole family is here, before my coming, they made Canada seem as this sort of wonderland, but when the reality hits, it hits you hard, no one will help you-it is all up to you- if you come with this mindset you will be much better off.
You have to keep in mind from day one that you are going to be independent and dont depend or ask favors from anyone, because, trust me, you will have to hear about it for months on end. Try to get used to the transit system of your area ASAP so you dont have to depend on ppl picking and dropping you.

As for Jobs, doesnt matter if youre MBA qualified, MBBS or a Diploma Holder, you HAVE to work HARD. I know ppl here who have done courses but are still taxi drivers, the reason for that is they didnt make an effort to get a job, they are happy and feel safe in their minimum wage jobs and dont want to move further. A diploma or degree is NO guarantee of a job, you have to start as an intern and work your way up. DO AS MUCH VOLUNTEER WORK AS YOU CAN, you dont get paid but it helps a ton in networking, and you will need those references for later- TRUST ME on this.

Its a symptom with North America in general, they may say they will, but in reality they dont give a crap about your FOREIGN degrees and diplomas, YOU NEED TO HAVE STUDIED SOMETHING FROM HERE in order to be successful. So you have started off on the right path.

Again, I want to stress, It is not an easy life in Canada, especially for the first 6 months when you dont have a work permit, but its is not impossible, just remain focused and work hard. The rest will sort itself out.

Im from Pakistan btw :)
Well Said.

LinktoCan

Jul 14, 2013
Don't worry you will be fine. Don't listen to your relative and don't even ask or expect anything from them while you are in Canada. Colleges won't fail you for no reason. I come to Canada as a student too and did fine with my studies and now i am settled in Canada with a good job in my own field. I too have lot of relatives who are living in Canada and never asked for there help and i lived by myself and use to study in the morning and worked in the evening. I have recently seen students coming to Canada thinking of only work in there mind and doesn't or hardly go to college, well in this case yes you will fail your college and will be hard to get a PR too. Students in some cases also end up getting low grades and it becomes difficult for them to get a job in there field too, so the end up in jobs like driving truck or security guard jobs. Again this is not colleges fault, this is what students choose to do and end up in shitty jobs.

If you relative is that upset with his job, why don't he go back to India? Reason he knows Canada is one of the best country in the world to live and work. Don't get upset and demotivated and tell your relative that you are coming to Canada and you will be fine.