+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Extra copy of citizenship certificate?

nicolass

Star Member
Dec 1, 2016
How can you get an extra copy of your citizenship certificate as a backup? Is there a way to just request a second copy?

Or do you just apply for Proof of Citizenship? In this case, Does the new certificate void your current certificate, so that you can no longer use the current to prove your citizenship?

We have some extended traveling coming up next year, and I was wondering what would happen if your papers get stolen while abroad (passport and citizenship certificate).

I thought it would be good to have a backup one that my parents can mail to me in case of emergencies.

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
How can you get an extra copy of your citizenship certificate as a backup? Is there a way to just request a second copy?

Or do you just apply for Proof of Citizenship? In this case, Does the new certificate void your current certificate, so that you can no longer use the current to prove your citizenship?

We have some extended traveling coming up next year, and I was wondering what would happen if your papers get stolen while abroad (passport and citizenship certificate).

I thought it would be good to have a backup one that my parents can mail to me in case of emergencies.
I don't think you can apply for a "duplicate" unless you've lost your original citizenship certificate. And why do you think you should be carrying citizenship certificate when you travel? Citizenship certificate isn't a travel document. The only purpose of the citizenship certificate is to prove you are a citizen. You do NOT need your citizenship certificate to leave or enter Canada. Once you apply for a passport, you can lock your citizenship certificate up in a safe place. You only need your citizenship certificate when you need to prove your Canadian citizenship (for example, when applying for some federal jobs that require Canadian citizenship and applying for passport).

nicolass

Star Member
Dec 1, 2016
I don't think you can apply for a "duplicate" unless you've lost your original citizenship certificate. And why do you think you should be carrying citizenship certificate when you travel? Citizenship certificate isn't a travel document. The only purpose of the citizenship certificate is to prove you are a citizen. You do NOT need your citizenship certificate to leave or enter Canada. Once you apply for a passport, you can lock your citizenship certificate up in a safe place. You only need your citizenship certificate when you need to prove your Canadian citizenship (for example, when applying for some federal jobs that require Canadian citizenship and applying for passport).
i guess that makes sense. I felt I should have the certificate with me because when abroad I tend to keep the passport in my pocket to use as ID so it’s more prone to being lost, (I’ve never lost a passport in my life but I was just thinking about it).

I thought in that case I’ll have the certificate to apply for an emergency passport. But the more I think about it, the more it makes sense to keep the certificate at home and have it mailed to me if I lose the passport.

Reactions: rajkamalmohanram