+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Extensive Travel with PR

mr_saviour

Star Member
Mar 9, 2012
Hello All,

I have got an opportunity to work abroad (Africa) on a consulting assignment. The term of engagement would require me to visit Africa almost on monthly basis. This would require me to face the immigration officials every other month.

Though I am settled in Canada with my family here and bought a house as well. My kids are going to school, and my PR card was recently (Jan 2016) renewed, I am a bit concerned.

My Qs is that would there be any problem, if I travel extensively and let the officials know that I am working abroad on such an assignment? Would it have any implications on my status or in any other way? Any implications on the citizenship case of my family, which is in final stages?

Would appreciate your kind & timely guidance.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
mr_saviour said:
Hello All,

I have got an opportunity to work abroad (Africa) on a consulting assignment. The term of engagement would require me to visit Africa almost on monthly basis. This would require me to face the immigration officials every other month.

Though I am settled in Canada with my family here and bought a house as well. My kids are going to school, and my PR card was recently (Jan 2016) renewed, I am a bit concerned.

My Qs is that would there be any problem, if I travel extensively and let the officials know that I am working abroad on such an assignment? Would it have any implications on my status or in any other way? Any implications on the citizenship case of my family, which is in final stages?

Are you employed on a full-time basis in Canada by a Canadian company and being assigned by them as a requirement of your employment? More information is required to answer your questions.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
mr_saviour said:
Hello All,

Just make sure you stay in compliance with the residency obligation, as any days you spend in Africa will NOT count. So as long as you spend over 2/5 (40%) of your time in Canada, you will be fine. You don't need to let anybody know.

Your family qualifying for citizenship has nothing to do with you. As long as they meet the citizenship requirements they are fine.

mr_saviour

Star Member
Mar 9, 2012
Thanks for the feedback. I do understand that I have to meet residency requirement to maintain my PR. But sometimes at the ariport, they interview you in details and may question your intentions to stay in Canada. Is there anything legally to worry about this. Or this is all good as long as within the PR validity period, I am inside Canada for the required 2/5 years period?

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
mr_saviour said:
Thanks for the feedback. I do understand that I have to meet residency requirement to maintain my PR. But sometimes at the ariport, they interview you in details and may question your intentions to stay in Canada. Is there anything legally to worry about this. Or this is all good as long as within the PR validity period, I am inside Canada for the required 2/5 years period?
As long as the RO is complied with, you are free to travel as much as you desire.