+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Extension visa and sponsorship application

yankalexia

Jan 31, 2020
Hi, there.

I would like to know if I should extend my visitor visa in order to apply for the sponsorship process. I had my visa extension approved and is valid until june f1. However I only will complete 1 year that I am living with my partner on june 11. In this case, the government says that you need to have a valid status to be able to apply for the sponsorship process. What should I do? Can I apply for my sponsorship before my extension visa expires or should I apply again (second time) for my visa extension before it expires and during I wait for the answer I should apply for my sponsorship process?

Please, someone can help me? I'm confused about what I should do in this case.

Thanks!

Last edited:

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
If you are applying under common-law married status, you must complete a full year of documented living together. So you can't apply before you've done that - which means you would need to extend again.

You could also just get married and apply.

Reactions: yankalexia

yankalexia

Jan 31, 2020
If you are applying under common-law married status, you must complete a full year of documented living together. So you can't apply before you've done that - which means you would need to extend again.

You could also just get married and apply.
I got it. But do you know if i need to wait to approve a visa extension to be able to apply for the sponsorship process or can i apply during the visa extension process? because it usually takes a while before they answer me and also because my process will expire 10 days before I turned 1 living with my partner.

Last edited:

yankalexia

Jan 31, 2020
do i need to wait to complete the visa extension process to be able to apply for the spousorship process or can i apply during the visa extension process?