+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Extension or overstay by 4 days

mandiebraxton

VIP Member
Mar 7, 2011
Hi seniors,
I’m in a bit of a dilemma. My MIL visited us in March last year ( on a 5 yr visa) and we extended her stay from September to December 2018 (3 months). However due to some family emergency, she left on November 16 2018 before before the extension was approved on November 30.

Fast forward, we booked a 6 months ticket for her second visit September 31, 2019 to March 31, 2020. Due to a family function here, and we wanted her to attend, we changed the entry date to September 27. At immigration she was given a hard time....was asked why stayed 9 months during her previous visit and why has she come again? They gave her visitor record that indicates she can only stay for 6 months ( she needs to leave on March 27, 2020).

The problem is my baby is due on March 24, 2020 and I would ideally want her to be here for a least a week after the baby is born. I don’t want her to stay any longer than that so as not to risk future entries.
I don’t really want to go through the hassle of extension just for 4 days knowing she won’t be here when it’s finalized. Should she just leave on March 31 as per the ticket and risk having problems at the border next time? Or jus change the ticket to March 27 (knowing it’s gonna be tough without my MIL) who has been there for every birth.
Are they lenient on just a few days overstay or they frown on it irrespective of the length.

Please your inputs are appreciated.
Thanks
Mandie

Last edited:

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi seniors,
I’m in a bit of a dilemma. My MIL visited us in March last year ( on a 5 yr visa) and we extended her stay from September to December 2019 (3 months). However due to some family emergency, she left on November 16 2019 before before the extension was approved on November 30.

Fast forward, we booked a 6 months ticket for her second visit September 31, 2019 to March 31, 2020. Due to a family function here, and we wanted her to attend, we changed the entry date to September 27. At immigration she was given a hard time....was asked why stayed 9 months during her previous visit and why has she come again? They gave her visitor record that indicates she can only stay for 6 months ( she needs to leave on March 27, 2020).

The problem is my baby is due on March 24, 2020 and I would ideally want her to be here for a least a week after the baby is born. I don’t want her to stay any longer than that so as not to risk future entries.
I don’t really want to go through the hassle of extension just for 4 days knowing she won’t be here when it’s finalized. Should she just leave on March 31 as per the ticket and risk having problems at the border next time? Or jus change the ticket to March 27 (knowing it’s gonna be tough without my MIL) who has been there for every birth.
Are they lenient on just a few days overstay or they frown on it irrespective of the length.

Thanks
Mandie
Extend. If she overstays, it could impact all future visas and entries.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi seniors,
I’m in a bit of a dilemma. My MIL visited us in March last year ( on a 5 yr visa) and we extended her stay from September to December 2019 (3 months). However due to some family emergency, she left on November 16 2019 before before the extension was approved on November 30.

Thanks
Mandie
If I was in this situation and it was my mother, I would change the ticket to March 27 and have her leave then no matter how difficult this might be. I would avoid applying for an extension and I would avoid having her overstay even if it's just for a few days. I think this is the safest move for the future (i.e. future visits) given she was already warned / given a hard time at the border. Congrats in advance on the baby.

Reactions: Buletruck