+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Extension of Open work permit validity after Passport renewal

Gtc151

Sep 29, 2022
Hi,

I am on an open work permit (PGWP) that expires in November 2023. The work permit can be renewed up to June 2024 as per the remarks section on the work permit. I just renewed my passport and want to extend the work permit validity. I spoke an IRCC agent today and I was told that, I cannot apply for work permit extension till 4 weeks prior to expiration. This means I cannot apply for an extension till October 2023.

I just wanted to ask if there is anyone who applied for an extension before the 4 weeks prior period and got their work permit extended?

Thanks,
Georgio

chayanne

Feb 25, 2023
Hi,

I am on an open work permit (PGWP) that expires in November 2023. The work permit can be renewed up to June 2024 as per the remarks section on the work permit. I just renewed my passport and want to extend the work permit validity. I spoke an IRCC agent today and I was told that, I cannot apply for work permit extension till 4 weeks prior to expiration. This means I cannot apply for an extension till October 2023.

I just wanted to ask if there is anyone who applied for an extension before the 4 weeks prior period and got their work permit extended?

Thanks,
Georgio
Hello
I wasn't aware this was the case. I've heard of persons applying a few months ahead and that's what I've done. I applied in January and mine expires July. It is unlikely that they will extend it till closer to the time though from what I heard from someone who had done theirs. So either way, applying early or later I don't think it changes too much but maybe go with applying closer to the date I suppose.

Gtc151

Sep 29, 2022
Hi chayanne,

Did you apply online? or on paper?

I was trying to start a new application for work permit on the CIC website under the "Come to Canada" section. Somehow it always takes me to the TRV application form section and not the work permit. Any idea why?

Thanks.

chayanne

Feb 25, 2023
Hi chayanne,

Did you apply online? or on paper?

I was trying to start a new application for work permit on the CIC website under the "Come to Canada" section. Somehow it always takes me to the TRV application form section and not the work permit. Any idea why?

Thanks.
For the extension I applied on paper. If it's your initial PGWP then you'd have to go through the questionnaire as usual and answer accordingly. Likely if you keep getting a TRV application you may have mistakenly clicked the wrong option for one of the questions. I did mine last year so I don't remember exactly what the options were in the questionnaire to get the right result for the initial pgwp application.