+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Extension during Spousal Sponsorship?

ZebraJCH

Star Member
Jan 9, 2012
I have just recently married my husband and we are about to start the process of spousal sponsorship. I am concerned about how this works.

My stay expires on November the 15th. The sponsorship process can take well over twelve months since we are doing this in-land. How am I supposed to stay here while the sponsorship process is taking place for me to receive my PR?

Going to the forms, the 'visitor extension' form does not allow me to put in that I am going through this sponsorship process, it essentially asks who my husband is and when I am leaving, not providing me much hope.

This should be a pretty standard thing here but maybe I am doing something wrong or looking in the wrong direction. The immigration officer that processed me gave me 90 days to get married to my fiance and initiate spousal sponsorship, but I do not understand how I can stay here during the process. I would appreciate some input.

Franzi

Star Member
Jan 23, 2012
GTA
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-15-2012 (received 05-17-2012)
Doc's Request.
10-12-2012 additional information req.
AOR Received.
Vienna 09-26-2012, in process 10-09-2012, DM 01-18-2013
File Transfer...
20-08-2012
Med's Done....
20-04-2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
visa exempt
VISA ISSUED...
issues 14-01-2013, received COPR 30-01-2013
LANDED..........
February 05, 2013!!!!!!!!!
I just submitted my visitor record extension. In the field where they're asking you for reasons why you want to stay, that's where I wrote that we submitted the PR application and that I would like to stay with my husband in Canada while our app is being processed. I also submitted proof for funds so they see that I can survive here without being able to work as well as the receipt for the fees for the application and the sponsor approval letter. We are applying outland though, I don't know if inland requires a different procedure/reasoning. I think I've read something that you are under implied status when you apply inland until stage 1 is finished and then you can get an open work permit.. But not 100% sure!!

ZebraJCH

Star Member
Jan 9, 2012
On the extension document I am looking at though, I see nowhere where I can place a reason for why I am wanting to stay, simply the reason for my visit.

With the form asking me when I am about to leave, it seems extraordinarily odd for me to 'lie' like this on the document despite just waiting for a process to finish so I can get PR. It all seems very strange. For Application to Change Conditions, Extend my Stay or Remain in Canada as a Visitor or Temporary Resident Permit Holder [IMM 5708] I just can't find any place for me to put in why I need the time. This is the right document to use, right?

Franzi

Star Member
Jan 23, 2012
GTA
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
20-08-2012
Med's Done....
20-04-2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
visa exempt
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Oh, I submitted the application online. I noticed that there are different questions than on the application form you are looking at. The online application seemed a bit easier to fill out..

Franzi

Star Member
Jan 23, 2012
GTA
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
20-08-2012
Med's Done....
20-04-2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
visa exempt
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Here's the link
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/e-services/extend-visit.asp

Creampop

Jun 15, 2012
Waterloo ON
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo closed > Ottawa > Finalized in LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 23rd, 2012
Doc's Request.
RPRF-September 14th, 2012
File Transfer...
7/23/12 > Ottawa 10/9/12 > LA
Med's Done....
April 10th, 2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
October 9th, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
CoPR issued Oct. 29, 2012 DM November 6th, 2012
LANDED..........
November 23rd, 2012
What's your Country of citizenship?

Tho it is very unlikely you will get an extension denied, it is possible, you do realized filing in-land if you are denied and have to leave you also will be denied for the PR visa and there is no other option you must leave or it turns into a deportation order and then it will really be a pain in the butt to get the PR. also you loose your right to appeal filing in-land. most people when requesting an extension ask for 6 months to a year but your going to ask for almost 2 years? asking for that long could throw up red-flags. You are a visitor and thats what you hafta remember just because you are married to a Canadian you don't get treated any different and a visitor does just that visits and of the IO thinks you won't leave then there will be more reason to deny the extension.

ZebraJCH

Star Member
Jan 9, 2012
I am an American citizen. And I was looking at the 'wrong documents', I should have been looking at the online version rather than the paper one.

I'm sorry, but I've never said that I wanted to extend for a two year period, neither did I say I was going to extend for any period of time yet, I just wanted to be here during the process.

Do multiple extensions all consisting of eight months in duration sound good for the purposes of waiting for my spousal sponsorship PR to go through? Will there be any problems with this, such as the fact that I am having to extend multiple times or anything of the like? This all makes me quite nervous.

Creampop

Jun 15, 2012
Waterloo ON
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo closed > Ottawa > Finalized in LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 23rd, 2012
Doc's Request.
RPRF-September 14th, 2012
File Transfer...
7/23/12 > Ottawa 10/9/12 > LA
Med's Done....
April 10th, 2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
October 9th, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
CoPR issued Oct. 29, 2012 DM November 6th, 2012
LANDED..........
November 23rd, 2012
Those are the cold hard facts... an In-land application takes atleast 19 months could be longer, you said you wanted to be here for the process (process = 19months +) so I gave you the facts based on what I knew. I am American and in Canada waiting out my OUT-LAND process which is less time then IN-LAND. You don't want to file to many extension it will make them think you don't intend to leave and as a visitor you are expected to leave. honestly you really don't need to do anything except cross the border and come back. Take your husband tho, copy of marriage certificate and copy of receipt showing you paid the fees to apply. and look alitte more into an OUT-LAND application it is easier and faster. some differences OUT-LAND - you have the freedom to cross the border, you have the right to appeal if denied, in 12 months time you have your PR and can work. IN-LAND you must stay in Canada, as I said before if one of your extension is denied and you have to leave (if you don't leave deportaion order is issued) your application will be denied and you tossed 1040 bucks out the window cus you will have to do it again. no right of appeal, and yes in 11 months you get stage 1 approval and can work but you will have to wait another 8 months plus waiting for the final stages... and your PR card.

ZebraJCH

Star Member
Jan 9, 2012
Creampop said:
You don't want to file to many extension it will make them think you don't intend to leave and as a visitor you are expected to leave. IN-LAND you must stay in Canada, as I said before if one of your extension is denied and you have to leave
Based on that logic, In-land is unavoidably impossible.